BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

'96 Z3 Roadste rubber trim question

4K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  Alfre 
#1 ·
Took my recently acquired '96 Roadster out on the interstate yesterday.
After 60 miles at 75 mph I discovered the rubber trim piece that fits to the rear deck above the trunk and below the cloth top had blown loose and was halfway off the car.

Is there supposed to be some sort of clips on each end of this rubber trim piece?

I think it might be part number 51718401844 called a "covering cap: on the parts list

Thanks

Al in NC

#4 ·
O. K., the plastic clips I ordered came in (pricey little devils) but I'm not sure how they fit.

Does the "long" side of the clip go on the outside of the car?

I tried both ways and neither seemed to secure the ends of the rubber "tube" trim sufficiently.
Maybe the 17 year old rubber tube trim need replacing?
I do have some gummi pflege I could try to reconditon the rubber.
Suggestions?

Thanks,
Al

#8 ·
Well, I got the new rubber strip (gasket?) and it does fit somewhat tighter than the 17 year old original piece.

Still not sure about the orientation of the clips. I tried both ways and it is not too secure either way. Can someone look at the attached picture and compare it to their car?

I put it on this way because it seemed to better fit the profile of the rubber trim.

Comments?

Thanks,
Al

Attachments

#10 ·
Vintage,
Now I'm really confused. I thought I had the rubber trim fully seated.
Could it be I have installed it bass-ackwards?
I put it on like the old one was installed, but the car had a top replacement done at some time in the past so now I'm not sure it was installed the right way to start with.

The pic you sent seemed to show the longest part of the trim inside, between the body and the top. I installed it with the long side on the outside of the body.

Do I have it reversed??

#12 · (Edited)
... I put it on like the old one was installed, but the car had a top replacement done at some time in the past so now I'm not sure it was installed the right way to start with...
It appears that the top shop installed the rubber trim and the end clips wrong, which is why the clips came off and the the trim came loose.
Edit: Correction, the shop apparently lost the end clips.

#13 ·
Thanks to Vintage and Blacklane for the help.
Just to be clear, the rubber trim does NOT grip to the painted edge of the body work, but grips to the sealing frame? I'll put the top down to get a get a better look and try to re-install correctly.
Alfre

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.