BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

M roadster trip

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  vintage42 
#1 ·
I am contemplating a 1500 mile road trip to Florida from New Hampshire in the spring. I have a 2000 M roadster with 50k miles on it. The struts and tires were recently replaced. I have been cautioned by a friend with a 2006 BMW roadster that this amount of time in a roadster will be back breaking. I plan to drive for 3 days and stay over for 2 nights driving appx 500 miles per day. Has anyone had experience with this amount of driving in a roadster?

#2 ·
I made the 1500 mile trip to Greenville, SC from Denver, CO and back another 1500 miles for the Roadster Homecoming for 7 years in a row. We usually stopped overnight twice on the way out, but only once on the way back. It is a lot of hours in any car, but it wasn't any more stressful in the Roadster than any other car. In fact it was more fun. I'm 6 foot 4, so not a lot of room to change positions, but gas stops gave plenty of time to stretch my legs from time to time.

#3 ·
I drove from Washington, DC to Sarasota, FLA & return a number of years ago in my 2002 Z3 2.5 liter with my better half. From there headed to the east coast & the Keys, then up the east coast with a stop in Charleston & Savannah. Did more than 500 mi in the first two days. I didn't have any back problems at all. Your mileage may vary.

Fred

#5 ·
I am contemplating a 1500 mile road trip... 2000 M roadster... driving appx 500 miles per day. Has anyone had experience with this amount of driving in a roadster?
I did two 200-mile days with wife, half rural and half Interstate. She was not comfortable. It is what it is -- a confined, noisy, rough-riding sport car. I enjoyed it. Get out and stretch every hour.

#6 ·
I'm 60+, and routinely drive my Z3 780 miles in one day if I take it from Houston, TX to Rolla, MO to see my family, and ride my BMW motorcycles 600 to 1,000+ miles in one day. Put the top down and run it!

#10 ·
I'm 60+, and routinely drive my Z3 780 miles in one day... and ride my BMW motorcycles 600 to 1,000+ miles in one day. Put the top down and run it!
I am 71 and have only driven my Z3 200 miles in a day. In 1966 rode my R27 500 miles in a day, and in 1990 rode my R100/7 650 miles in day. At speed with the top up, the Z3 is more comfortable than a bike, but not with the top down.

#7 ·
I've lost count of the number of trips our ///M Rdstrs (99 & 01) have made between Ohio and Florida; nine (9) round-trips from Ohio to Greenville too.

The upside of the smallish fuel tank is its need for refilling about as often as we need to get out and stretch. Overall, I find them to be comfotable cars for hours on end.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.