BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1999 BMW Z3 coupe died.

2K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  bmwmiltrich 
#1 ·
Went to work. Came out 3 hours later, cranks over like crazy, no start. :mad: Towed home. Replaced crank sensor. No good. Throws codes p1188, p1189, p1478. HELP!!
Any ideas??? Thank you.

#2 ·
P1188 and 1189 are usually associated with mixture problems. Try unplugging the MAF to see if that changes anything. It could be bad. If that doesn't work, look for a vacuum leak, maybe the boot behind the MAF, maybe a CCV hose. Maybe an EVAP system hose, since you also have a 1478 code, which is associated with that, but is also often set by a loose fuel cap, so it may not be a clue.

#5 · (Edited)
I don't think an EVAP hose could cause a big-enough leak to cause a no-start, although you could just clamp it to isolate it. A broken CCV hose could cause a no-start, though. But if you found and repaired an air leak (that was likely setting the codes), and it didn't solve the no-start problem, I think you have something else wrong. If you want to make one more shot-in-the-dark, you could replace the cam position sensor. Many sudden no-starts are caused by either the cam or crank sensors failing. This might be a good time to use a scan tool to see what is really happening.

#9 ·
Rreplaced cam sensors

I have now replaced crank & both cam sensors with no change. Still cranks over but no "POP", no hits, no run. Is there a relay or fusible link that could do this? I pulled all fuses under the hood and checked with ohm meter. All good. Next!?

#10 ·
There seems to be a bit of this going around; one guy is in IL too, the other SoCal...

Are you sure you're getting fuel at the fuel rail? Most models are easy enough to check @ the Schrader valve (looks like a tire valve-stem). If yes, then are you getting "spark"? I pulled the #1 coil off a car, put a sparkplug in it (grounded the shell to the engine) and cranked it a few times to see if there was a visible spark__there was in this case.

After trying to start it, pull the sparkplugs out and see what they look like; if they're soaked with fuel, it may be "flooded" as a result of leaking injectors. Believe it or not, a tank of bad gas (laden with water) can ruin fuel system components pretty fast. Had you bought gas on your way to work that day?

Even though these are modern computer controlled engines, sometimes you still have to perform basic troubleshooting techniques. I've been working on cars prior to the invention__or wide spread application__of transistorized ignition, and while there may be cobwebs, sometimes I still have to revert back to those seldom required skills.

#11 ·
I checked to see if there was pressure and gas squirted up. Not a REAL pressure test. No gas that day. I AM taking to local shop that specializes in foreign cars. Especially BMWs. Wife said get it fixed or she is going to buy a new car. I guess I have tried long enough. <{*~*}> I will let you know how he fixes it.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#12 ·
Test ignition and fuel system. Scan all modules. Monitor data. Run pin voltage and resistance tests. Code EWS module, and start engine. Cam position sensor code returned. Lab scope sensor,OK. Test VANOS solenoid and valve,OK. Actuator is stuck. Suggest oil system cleaner and oil change. I copied this from the receipt. Runs fine now.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.