BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

How to Lessen / Eliminate squeaks from Z3 soft top?

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  BryZzz 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

Would spraying some silicon or white lithium grease on the bolt points of the frame help lessen or eliminate squeaks?

one more question, silicon spray still best lubricant on the driver and passenger door window rubber mouldings or white lithium grease better?(sorry just got myself a bottle of white lithium grease and im itching to use it on almost anything hehe )

Your inputs would be verymich. Appreciated.

Cheers!

#2 ·
The silicon doesn't last as long as the white lithium. I would not use spray on the top, but use the cream type grease very sparingly so that it doesn't get on the top fabric.

I would get a product that is made for rubber to use on the mouldings, like a rubber conditioner.

#4 · (Edited)
... Would spraying some silicon or white lithium grease on the bolt points of the frame help lessen or eliminate squeaks?...
This little tool is good for applying one drop of oil to a specific point. Each click makes a tiny measured drop appear on the tip even if the tool is pointed upward.
http://www.garrettwade.com/pinpoint-precision-oiler/p/30C03.01/

... silicon spray still best lubricant on the driver and passenger door window rubber mouldings or white lithium grease better?...
Silicone is a good lube for the rubber window tracks. It is also OK for preserving the soft foam rubber seals, but Gummi Phlege is better because it is made for the purpose. I think grease might degrade rubber, and also make a mess.

#5 ·
Hi guys, thanks for the replies, I have gummi phlege at home which I use for all the rubber mouldings. I apply it every other week. For the power windows, id like to penetrate down to end of the window tracks so ok, will probably use silicon spray.

I have mobil 1 grease that comes in tube, can I apply that on the hinge/bolt points of the soft top?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.