BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

exhaust opinions..

927 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Dudster 
#1 ·
Hey guys I got a 97 z3 1.9 and was looking to get some new exhaust components put on.. I have some parts from old exhaust that I have left over from my last cars and an gonna try and use them on the z3. I got a test pipe, cherry bomb resonator, and a big can muffler.. so my main goal is to make it a little louder but not the fart can noise ha just dont know what the right combination of stock parts and afyermarket to use?? Or to go all aftermarket just trying to find the nice happy medium between stock and obnoxiously loud.. thanks

#3 ·
Yeah thats what I have herd I would like to do the magnaflow stuff but I was just trying to use up the free parts I already have dont thing the test pipe would sound any better? And yeah the big cam muffler might not look to hot on a z3 ha but the car is also throwing a code for the cat its 0421 so thats the other thought behind getting it switched..

Sent from my Milestone X2 using BimmerApp mobile app

#4 ·
I've been using the same Magnaflow for quite a few years now and I wish I never installed the darned thing...

When I had the old muffler removed and the new one welded on in a exhaust shop, all was good for a year or two. Then the problems started with cracks forming in the welds.
Had them mended, but the problems persisted until now, where the exhaust has come off in three places and I am going to replace the whole exhaust...

I guess the problem was that altering the exhaust system caused it to resonate in such a manner that the welds broke due to stress. I am sure I am just a very unlucky fella.

The Magnaflow sounds great though, love the sound, even with my little 1,8...

:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.