laptop battery probs ? - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. **Note** - Political posting is not allowed (or welcome) at Bimmerfest.

Old 09-08-2019, 07:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW
one other thing I thought just now,

Can't I pull the laptop battery and just use it without it, i.e. straight mains power.
Does the battery offer any ripple protection etc ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2019, 01:55 PM

Mein Auto:
Use a voltmeter to check the voltage output of your charger. (get a cheap multimeter on E-Bay if you donít have one already, or go to Radio Shack and get one.) The output of the charger should comply with the label. If it is reasonably close to the label, it is probably OK. If you have recently changed the battery in the laptop, make sure you have the correct battery installed. The charger usually sends 19.6 VAC to the laptop, which has a power supply to produce the voltages needed to run the laptop and charge the battery.

If you dare, and are careful, you can probe the pins on the battery and find about 9.6 VDC, sometimes 7+ VDC. At this point, I would suggest taking the Laptop to a repair person. You can also take the computer apart and check the power supply if you are competent with electronics. You can buy replacement parts on E-Bay - I do.
Old 09-15-2019, 05:40 AM

hi m8 I have a meter, have taken LT's apart, done 4 years in College, many years ago LOL
I'll try that on a laptop if I get it instead of a desktop as suggested for this project,
I'm actually sure my x200 which I replaced the battery was running from mains even though the battery was dead and installed,
I think the batteries are fitted in parallel to the DC input, so if the battery dies the LT doesnt.
that said the LT was running very hot, I'm guessing due to defective battery,
I can run some tests with my tosh and lenovo, which I'm guessing will run without a battery
I can't remember where I read it, but I think it did mention that the battery does do something to the input to the laptop
as I said, like ripple protection or something.,but I could be wrong
cheers again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2019, 07:06 PM

Mein Auto: 435i Gran Coupe
While a little bit more complicated, our setup on our main floor TV utilizes an Amazon Firestick to accomplish 70% of what you are looking for and a Network Attach Storage device (NAS) to do the other 30% and then some.

As others have mentioned, smart TV's aren't that smart. Until maybe the last 2 years or so, many Samsung's and other reputable brands utilized their own proprietary operating systems which basically limits the applications they will support. The solution to that is something like an Apple TV or a Firestick - something that will remain smart.

That is piece 1. You will probably have Netflix and all the other major streaming applications pre-loaded on it which is nice. All you need to do on this is now download Plex.

For Piece 2, you'll need to buy a Synology Disc Station. You can get their DS918+ on Amazon below - I think this one is the sweet spot in terms of price, performance, and storage scalability for a home user. You'll also need to buy your own storage. For me I waited until black Friday when the 4TB Western Digital Reds went on sale for around $100 a piece. If you want to upgrade the RAM, buy a stick of that too.

What you'll do on the Disc Station is you'll put in the hard drives, wire it up to your router, and then create logical volume for the drives - I configured mine using their Synology Hybrid RAID which is like RAID 5 but it's a little more efficient on storage. This is important because it prevents against data loss with 1 drive failure and with 4x4TB will still net you out around 10 TB of storage. Once you do that you'll put all your offline content on there, install plex media server, and then import those folders into the application.

Back on the Firestick, whenever you load up Plex it will have all your content you loaded to the Disc Station. This setup keeps things very light in the living spaces as all the hardware serving the content is elsewhere in a utility area where the router and other computing equipment is stored. Yes, it's a bit of work, but 10TB of storage should future proof for most from a storage capacity standpoint.

The other benefit - if you pay for Plex Premium (I think its a 1 time fee of $100 or something), then if you put plex on your phone or mobile devices, you can stream your personal content to those devices so as long as there isn't an internet connectivity interruption back at your house.

https://www.amazon.com/Synology-bay-...s%2C185&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.com/Red-4TB-NAS-H...gateway&sr=8-2

2015 BMW 435i GC MSport (ED Sept 29, 2014)
2004 BMW 530i (retired)

Last edited by dwlink; 09-16-2019 at 07:08 PM.
Old 09-17-2019, 11:43 AM

^ txs for that

My Samsung worked great with Netflix actually what I only used it for
but after an update netflix went to pot, I mean it works, but the new GUI, is garbage. Unlike the actual web version.
There are a lot of threads from other forums, where people have this issue and it ends up being a pissing match between Samsung and Netflix.
ATEOTD the Netflix APP was written I think by Samsungm so the buck stops there, I can't, roll it back and the updates come through automatically

I've tried everything from re-boots, defaulting, reloading the app, nothing works, it's like the screen resolution for netflix is wrong
and showing too big, can't change any settings for picture when in Netflix view

all newer updates have not fixed it, as I don't think there is any "incentive" for either parties to.

Also I want to now run youtube, so the point is moot.

Essentially, I am going to be using the "computer" for (in order) Netflix, Youtube and Music and family MP4's, and our collection of DVD's also has a backup for our pictures, which we run background
at family parties, though I now have a 15" DFP for that

Last edited by jaye944; 09-17-2019 at 11:45 AM.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:30 PM

Mein Auto: 1987 BMW 535is 2008 E64
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye944 View Post
Anyone know or suggest,

I'm planning on getting a used laptop to use purely as part of my home theater.
I have a smart TV and also a DVD player , the DVD player generally doesn't get used and the smart TV has limitations when using netflix.

SO I'm planning on removing the DVD and in it's place putting a laptop with bluetooth mouse and keyboard in which to control it from the armchair, and of course connect it to my network through LAN. HDMI to my Denon A/V center. For the odd DVD we own and play through the laptop.

Now, the laptop will be powered during the day, maybe (if remembered) powered down at night.
As the battery will be continuously on charge through the mains adaptor and not powered down or allowed to discharge, could, will I kill the battery in short order ?

So primary and only use is for Netflix and youtube and mp4's pre-loaded on

If it helps (Dell Lat. E6420 I5) looks like new first released in 2011 so 8 years possibly assuming Li-ON batt
The laptop will run with a dead battery on main power. That's how SWMBO runs her ancient Dell. I have a 3 year old Lenovo that stays on power all of the time except for travel and the battery still shows 100%. Cycling the battery is what wears it out. My understanding is that Li-ON batteries chemically imprint and if you leave it in a completely discharged state for awhile you can regain battery life. I always run my cell phone batteries down to zero and haven't replaced one yet in this century. This looks like another one of those stop/start deals that Doug H. knows all about.

Last edited by zod; 09-17-2019 at 06:42 PM.
Old 09-17-2019, 07:23 PM

^^ nice and txs !
Old 09-17-2019, 07:48 PM

Mein Auto: 1987 BMW 535is 2008 E64
A physics grad student walks into a bar...

Last edited by zod; 09-17-2019 at 07:49 PM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic
Today's Posts Search