BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

**Z3** DIY Guides (post links here)

289K views 96 replies 52 participants last post by  DonZaga 
#1 · (Edited)
#60 ·
The Z3 FAQ post is for how to content. Please do not post in this thread asking for specific information not listed in this post. Please create a new thread in the general Z3/Z4 forum with your questions***8211;you will get better responses this way!

#64 ·
#65 ·
#66 ·
#67 ·
I have invested in metal balls, taps, etc to fix this. I even bought a drill press to make sure the hole was straight.

If anyone wants me to fix their lever arm, they can mail it to me and I will repair and return it for $15.

#68 · (Edited)
slk32 hasn't been around in a while, but this post from him should be in the FAQ since all of the Z3's suffer from the blend flap getting stuck and it's getting more expensive to deal with the consequences (broken flap control arm). What I mean is that instead of linking to it, it'd be nice to have it copied into the FAQ.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3707265&postcount=11

#71 ·
From the Owner's Manual:

Emergency actuator

If the electrics or hydraulics fail, the soft-top can be raised/lowered by means of the emergency
actuator.
To raise the soft-top using the emergency actuator, the following procedure must be followed:
- Open bypass circuit on hydraulic pump unit by pulling cable.
- Release soft-top stowage compartment catch by pulling cable.
- Raise soft-top to windscreen top rail by hand.
- Engage windscreen top rail lock using Allen key.

For lowering the soft-top with the emergency actuator, the procedure is reversed.

Opening bypass circuit on hydraulic pump unit:
In the boot on the left-hand side below the soft-top stowage compartment base there is a
release cable with a plastic pull handle. The plastic pull handle is pulled out as far as it will
go and then locked in that position by turning it through 90Âş. This opens a bypass circuit
in the hydraulic pump unit. The soft-top can then be moved by hand.
(Note: If your hydraulic top motor is very corroded it is likely the bypass release handle will not release the bypass valve).

Emergency stowage compartment catch release

The soft-top stowage compartment catch must then be released. This involves pulling the
release cable on the rear boot trim panel. The soft-top stowage compartment catch then
disengages. The release cable is on the boot bulkhead. Pulling the release cable handle
from inside the boot releases the soft-top stowage compartment catch. The soft-top can
then be raised up to the windscreen top rail by hand.
Operating the windscreen top rail lock manually:
To lock the soft-top to the windscreen top rail, the plastic trim on the front roof bow must
be removed. Below the plastic trim panel is a socket-head bolt. Using the Allen key supplied
in the vehicle

This post has been deleted
#73 ·
I am looking at a 2002 M Roadster.
It ran fine and nothing was heard while driving the car.
While standing on the curb, as the car was driven away a tinney sound was heard as it
was wound up through the gears.
Any clue as to what that sound was or what caused it?

Thanks,
Al
Its probably the rasp caused by putting the cats inside the engine bay instead of under the car where they belong.

Also, a contributing factor is that we don't get the resonator they install on the euro cars.

Its normal for the S54.

If you heard a banging or a stumbling then that's a different story.

#72 ·
Changing a Slave Cylinder (OR BMW won't go into gear)

Ok I used this forum to help troubleshoot my 1996 BMW Z3 won't go into gear. I used my Blog to track troubleshooting the issue and then ultimately changing out the Slave Cylinder. Hope it helps someone.

BLOG is here. http://z3-bmw.blogspot.com/ and my Slave Cylinder Changout starts here

Thanks bimmerfest forums for helping me save a ton of money.

#76 ·
1996 BMW Z3 Code Wait How To Fix

Many people may already know how to do this and I searched to find another HOW to on here. Maybe my search skillz are lacking so anyway I write a little Blog about the fixes I do to my 1996. This is my write up for recently fixing my "CODE WAIT" issue.

http://z3-bmw.blogspot.com/2012/02/1996-bmw-stereo-code-wait.html

:thumbup:

#77 ·
This post has been deleted
#82 ·
Re: **Z3** How-tos (post links here)

97 Z3...air bag light has come on recently....any idea why that would occurr...I did have the some work on the underside of the dash looking for a rattle..may this have caused something to occurr?
I have looked into this because I have the same problem.. I narrowed it down to a " seatbelt tensioner or weight sensor I'm the seat. As the most common culprit

Sent from my SPH-L710 using BimmerApp mobile app

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.