BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Serious HP increase but costly!

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Pima Roadster 
#1 ·
In the January issue of Roundel, there is an article about the results on the installation of a supercharger kit from G-Power, a German tuner & manufacturer. The BMW is an E46 Touring with 175K on the clock. Rear wheel HP gains from the kit coupled with a Magnaflow exhaust was 57. Cost is around $3K which imo is not crazy expensive for this much power gain. I think this would be a nice upgrade for our 3.0 if I can scrape up the money!

#5 ·
G Power Sporty Drive Supercharger...a slippery slope ready to drain your bank account

I had to read up on this.... it grabbed my attention.
The Supercharger "Sporty Drive" increase is 55 hp and the secondary upgrade is another 20 hp (G-POWER Supercharger system upgrade to SK Plus NG - plus 20 hp). Their literature claims a 3.0 can achieve 306 hp! uhhhh this is M roadster territory! It's clear they have the answer to what's next... it's the upgrades. And the slope is very slippery...with the option of a supercharger clutch (Optional overrunning clutch for supercharger system SK Plus). No, this is not an upgrade for the transmission this option is specifically to disengage the supercharge below 1500 rpm. they claim the benefits are no spooling noise at idle... more fuel efficient. I'm sure once this systems is installed one would need to submit to the grade of the slope and go for suspension and transmission upgrade to match the new found power. OH YES... they have that too a supercharger for all Z engines... yes... even a bigger one... that offer 376hp! and the engine mapping... and wheels, coil over suspension, brakes, exhaust and more to go with it! but sad to see several options are only available in their tuner shop located in Germany... I will be inquiring with my local BMW Specialty Garage on the availibilty and price for this... if it's true.... $3k - $4K for the 306hp.... Their installation image just so happened to be sterling silver.... the same color my Jinx is. I know what's on my Christmas list.
To read on ... http://www.g-power.de/965.html?&L=1

#6 ·
I would very happy to have the 57 HP increase plus a factory aero kit for my 3.0. The idea of a "sleeper" is what tickles me about this product. Yes, the M suspension & brakes are different than a standard model but if one could temper the temptation, the extra power on tap would be, dare I say it, fun. Christmas is a long time away & both items will not likely land underneath the tree in our house. Ironically the factory aero kit is the hardest item to find!

#7 ·
I agree very much. My Z has the sport package and is firm enough for the driving I do, she is a weekend, garage princess though. My comments were with tongue in cheek as the mod bug tends to be hard to get rid of once you start. Take a look at the G Power website. The cars they are showcasing are not at all interesting to me. Yes, Christmas is a while to wait... Jinx was just adopted in November so I need to replenish the frivolous spending account so it may be 11 more months before this happens.

Set up your garage... I'd like to see your car. There are not many 3.0 models around.

#8 ·
00Z, it sounds like our 3.0 are equipped much the same & the mileage on mine is less than 33K. The 3.0 did have upgraded brakes over the earlier models as I recall, at least in the front. My "frivolous" account has been tapped recently for some pieces for the wife's MB GLK but soon I will get my priorities straight. Only other upgrades on the roadster I have in mind is to replace the brake flex lines with SS pieces & replace rotors with slotted units. Car is still on its original brakes with a good amount of pad remaining so it may be a while. Send me a message via this forum with your e-mail & I will send you pictures.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.