BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Deal or no deal z3 coupe?

885 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  JThomas87 
#1 ·
Hello guys. Thanks for letting me post here. This is my first official post and I would live some feedback!!!
I am in the market to buy a BMW and have always wanted a z3 coupe. I've found one with a million miles (240k!!!) for 6000. (Unfortunately its on a lot, not private).
I have yet to meet with them, however over the phone he says the engine was rebuilt at 200k and the tranny done at 195k.
It's got some spot sprays here and there but my intention is to upgrade parts and even paint once taken Ownership so not a huge deal to me.

BUT! Am I an idiot for considering this car for purchase?? I mean 240k miles is insane (with clean title and minimal owners).

Thanks a lot guys!!!

-Justin

#2 ·
Deal or no deal Z3 Coupe

It's not something that I would consider. Even thought he engine and transmission may have been rebuilt there is still 240k miles and 13 or so years worth of wear and tear on many other parts. Check Autotrader, Cars.com and cargurus for other possibilities.

#4 ·
Well, I think most of the bugs have been worked out.
It took me a while to understand that "a million miles" was hyperbole, since 240K is just under one quarter of a million miles.
I wonder what "engine was rebuilt...and the tranny done" means. Why was the engine rebuilt? Was it for new bearings? Something more or less? Some people consider a new water pump and radiator a major rebuild. Does "tranny done" mean a new clutch plus maybe shift pins? With a few exceptions, most of the engines and transmissions in the Z3s can last several hundred thousand miles, as long as they don't overheat. You don't mention the year, so I can't tell what engine, and can't be more specific.
In general, it sounds a little expensive. That would be the going rate for a coupe with half that mileage.
There are a few plusses that could bring the price into that range: Sport package, cooling system rebuild, suspension upgrade, new tires, new clutch and shift pins, excellent condition, new upholstery, etc.

#5 ·
I'm sure it is guaranteed until you drive it off the lot! You don't say what year it is or which engine. For $6K you should be able to buy yourself a 1.9L Z3 under 100k miles in very good condition. Last year I bought a 2001 2.5 for $9k with 80k miles in "like new" condition with a new top and all records. Buy privately and try to find an original owner.

#6 ·
I apologize for any viable info not listed. I opted out of it and will be looking elsewhere. It is a 2001. After some more research I've found closer price range coupe's (not quite 6k, closer to 12. But a TON of rag top ones). I think I can bear to hold out for "the one" haha. I greatly appreciate the responses!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.