BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2000 Z3 ignition questions

Tags
e36 igniton z3
969 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  AK 540i 
#1 ·
Hi guys, need a little direction. 2000 Z3 2.3 Roadster 2.5 liter M53 TU B25 134500 miles. Lumpy idle, reduced power. Service engine soon light is on. Conditon came on suddenly on way home from work. Car is still drivable but with reduced power. Peak is throwing the following:

EE- Missfire detected Cyl #1
1d - Coil #1
1f - Coil #2
1e - Coil #3
d2- ignition feedback faulty >2 cal

I hate to just start throwing coils at this thing, I just can't see all 3 going at once, I have the tools and the Bently, & am fairly handy (I seem to have a little addiction to old Beemers- this is #7) but i am a little stumped where to start on this one without just throwing $$$ at it.

Any suggestions where to attack this one at would be greatly appreciated. And yes, I live in Alaska and this IS my daily driver! :) Pull that Subaru over and get the hell out of the way!

#2 · (Edited)
Generally, three coils won't fail simultaneously. I would look for something common to all of them. First, unplug the MAF. If the performance improves, you have a bad MAF or maybe a broken joint downstream of the MAF. Also look for vacuum leaks, particularly in the CCV system. After that, I would consider a cam position sensor followed by a crank position sensor.

A forum search on "Misfire" will also provide a few more things to consider.

#6 ·
fixed it!

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the suggestions and help.

Turned out to be a bad coil on #1...Swapped it to #2 and got the misfire code on #2... $82.50 later she's running like a top, all the other codes cleared as well.

Gotta love that peak tool. Wish id bought one about 6 BMW's ago. Now its off chase down that pesky airbag light........:thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.