Extended warranty- how to keep it intact - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW Questions

General BMW Questions
Use this forum to ask general question about the BMW ownership and keep up on the latest BMW news. Direct all model specific questions to model specific forums below.

Old 01-12-2020, 10:35 PM

Mein Auto:
Extended warranty- how to keep it intact

Hello everyone!
I am a happy owner of 2015 BMW 535iX with 6 month of extended powertrain warranty remaining.
I have ~71K miles on odometer.
The spark plugs are overdue. The lowest estimate from dealer is $425+tax for this work.
I little steep considering the fact it can be done as DIY project in 2 hours with ~$50 in parts.

The question is:
What are the chances to loose my extended warranty in this case?

Thanks!

Last edited by imASH; 01-12-2020 at 10:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2020, 06:57 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328xi
Did you mean "lose" instead of "loose"? You should read your contract for your extended warranty to determine if changing spark plugs yourself will affect coverage. Remember, it is not like the warranty that came with our purchase and will be governed by the contract you signed. Depending on your model, changing the spark plugs is a DIY job.
Old 01-14-2020, 09:35 PM

Mein Auto: 328ix sdn; M240ix cpe
Quote:
Originally Posted by imASH View Post
Hello everyone!
I am a happy owner of 2015 BMW 535iX with 6 month of extended powertrain warranty remaining.
I have ~71K miles on odometer.
The spark plugs are overdue. The lowest estimate from dealer is $425+tax for this work.
I little steep considering the fact it can be done as DIY project in 2 hours with ~$50 in parts.

The question is:
What are the chances to loose my extended warranty in this case?

Thanks!
losing extended warranty over what? If the spark plugs aren't bad they aren't bad. Not sure of your point here either. If you amention DIY in 2hrs with ~$50 in parts, then why don't you just DIY? You don't lose warranty just because you replaced your own spark plugs. Moreover, warranty coverage loss hinges on if part or repair x lead to fault y, which would be covered under your warranty if you hadn't used like genuin BMW part, etc--presuming you are talking about exgtended powertrain warranty from BMW. But even then, the warranty aren't necessarily invalid because you used OE instead of genuine BMW part. However, don't know the basis for losing warranty you are talking about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2020, 09:46 PM

Mein Auto:
Thanks for clarification guys.
My question was about BMW Extended Powertrain Plus.
I skimmed through the contract. Wasn't able to find any limitations on service facility or something like that.
I does say that vehicle should be serviced in accordance with BMW's service recommendations using genuine manufacturer's original equipment.
Does that mean using OEM Bosh spark plugs could potentially be a reason of claim denial?
Old 01-16-2020, 06:02 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Prohibited by Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act 15 USC 2301 I believe. IANAL
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 01-16-2020, 06:45 AM

Mein Auto: 328xi
Not sure if that law applies to extended "warranty" plans.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:03 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 530e
read your contract. Different plans differ.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:29 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Quote:
Originally Posted by southcoastguy View Post
Not sure if that law applies to extended "warranty" plans.
The law was created to fix problems as a result of manufacturers using disclaimers on warranties in an unfair or misleading manner. Exceptions must be explicit.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 01-16-2020, 07:56 PM

Mein Auto: 328ix sdn; M240ix cpe
Quote:
Originally Posted by imASH View Post
Thanks for clarification guys.
My question was about BMW Extended Powertrain Plus.
I skimmed through the contract. Wasn't able to find any limitations on service facility or something like that.
I does say that vehicle should be serviced in accordance with BMW's service recommendations using genuine manufacturer's original equipment.
Does that mean using OEM Bosh spark plugs could potentially be a reason of claim denial?
"should be" does not equal "must be".

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
diy, warranty

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW Questions
Today's Posts Search