Found out a new thing about my car - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series

3 Series & 4 Series
The BMW 3 Series and 4 Series Forum. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 03-07-2003, 11:53 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 325i SP, Xenon
Found out a new thing about my car

When I was straightening my wheel out after parking today I noticed that the RPM drops when you turn the steering wheel when the engine is idling! When idling my engine is about 700 RPM, and if I turn the steering wheel a lil to either direction the RPM drops to about 500 then bounce back up!

Anybody else notice this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2003, 11:57 AM
Rest in peace, Coach

Mein Auto: '06 MZ4C, '09 WRX Wagon
If you have a stick shift, you can press the clutch pedal repeatedly in neutral and watch your RPM fluctuate between 650-750...And if you catch it on the right oscillation you can actually cause the car to STALL by just pumping the clutch pedal at the right frequency.

I think what's going on is the power steering pump is drawing power from the alternator, thus the alternator has to work harder...And where does the alternator's power come from? The engine. And what happens when power is drawn from the engine (resistence in the crank)? The RPM dips.

I've noticed this in almost all the cars I've ever driven and owned...Some more drastic than others, but all three of my BMWs did this.
"Bench racing" about track times driven by professionals are like a bunch of nerds arguing which Princess Leia is hotter, the slave Leia or the no-bra jail-bait Leia. No matter how compelling your argument is, the plain and simple fact is, none of you will EVER get to hit that.
Old 03-07-2003, 12:14 PM
King of Rear Clunks

Mein Auto: 01 325iT, 88 M6
Um... We don't have electric PS pumps. That's whats in the MINI and the new Accord. We have conventional mechanical PS pumps, but they also fall into the direct engine load category, so the RPMs fluctuate for the same reason.

This is with any accessory drive that turns on and off, like the AC compressor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2003, 12:26 PM
Rest in peace, Coach

Mein Auto: '06 MZ4C, '09 WRX Wagon
Um...I knew that. Yeah.

Thanks Kaz for pointing out the error in my post.
"Bench racing" about track times driven by professionals are like a bunch of nerds arguing which Princess Leia is hotter, the slave Leia or the no-bra jail-bait Leia. No matter how compelling your argument is, the plain and simple fact is, none of you will EVER get to hit that.
Old 03-07-2003, 12:55 PM
SPF 100 Protection

Mein Auto: 202 X5 M50i
It's funny, cause I used to have a 98 4 cylinder 5 spd mazda truck back in 98 and if I would turn my wheel all the way while just sitting there, my rpms would drop to about 100 for just a second, it would almost stall then it would go right back up to 650, it was wierd that it took so much out of the engine just to do that.

Houma, LA
Old 03-07-2003, 01:19 PM

Ahhh.. good explanation. Thanks
Old 03-07-2003, 08:29 PM

Mein Auto:
Re: Found out a new thing about my car

Quote:
Originally posted by robj213
When I was straightening my wheel out after parking today I noticed that the RPM drops when you turn the steering wheel when the engine is idling! When idling my engine is about 700 RPM, and if I turn the steering wheel a lil to either direction the RPM drops to about 500 then bounce back up!

This effect is very noticeable when trying to back out of a tight parking spot with the steering fully cranked one way. In the first 2 months of owning this car, I must have stalled the engine half a dozen times while doing this.
Old 03-07-2003, 11:13 PM

Quote:
This effect is very noticeable when trying to back out of a tight parking spot with the steering fully cranked one way. In the first 2 months of owning this car, I must have stalled the engine half a dozen times while doing this.
Wow, you stalled your car by turning the wheel? I haven't tried turning the steering fully toward one way yet, but that sucks that the engine would stall if you turn it all the way!
Old 03-07-2003, 11:16 PM

Mein Auto:
No, you misread me.
What I mean is while *backing* out with gas and half clutch and wheel fully turned...
You need to apply a little more gas when doing this than when backing out straight...

Last edited by visor; 03-07-2003 at 11:21 PM.
Old 03-08-2003, 02:15 PM
kludge it!

Mein Auto: '01 330i / '07 335i
Re: Found out a new thing about my car

Quote:
Originally posted by robj213

I thought I was the only one.
My car does exactly the same thing you have described.
Thanks for bringing it up!
Old 03-08-2003, 06:20 PM

Mein Auto:
so i guess this is a normal thing.
Old 03-25-2018, 02:33 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by robj213 View Post

My car does this while backing out with steering wheel being turned, rpm drops significantly and some time stalls if AC is on. Mine is automatic.
Old 03-25-2018, 03:27 PM

Mein Auto: BMW E63 630i
Wow!!!! Resurrection of a 15 year old tread. Is that a record ??? Lol....

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series
Today's Posts Search