Snow chains for 2019 330i xdrive - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > G20 (2019 - Current)

G20 (2019 - Current)

Old 12-14-2019, 06:42 PM

Mein Auto:
Snow chains for 2019 330i xdrive

Hi,

I recently leased the 2019 330i xdrive. I am planning to drive up whistler and have heard the conditions could require chains on M+S tires or snow tires. I verified my tires are M+S. Having snow tires is not an option given the cost, storage and frequency of use.

1) Are we allowed to use snow chains on the car? Does BMW forbid us from using chains?

2) What chains should i buy and use? My tire size is 225/45 R 18.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2019, 05:21 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
BMW approved snow chains only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewTIS
Snow chain detection (only BMW-approved snow chains)

It must not be possible for customers to switch active steering systems on or off! In the case of Integral Active Steering, active steering intervention on the rear axle and rear wheels is not possible with snow chains fitted. When snow chains are fitted, the rear-wheel steering is deactivated to ensure free wheel travel in all cases.

If snow chains are used, "Snow chains fitted" must be set in the control centre in the settings menu. If the permitted maximum speed with snow chains of approx. 65 km/h is exceeded, the rear-wheel steering is reactivated despite the setting "Snow chains fitted"!

Snow chain detection is computed in the HSR control unit. There are two procedures for snow chain detection. Up to approx. 25 km/h, the signals of the ride height sensors (front left and rear left) are used. Up to 50 km/h, the signals of the wheel speed sensors (front left and rear left) are used. The signal shapes (pattern as the chain links move) are used to determine the presence of a snow chain. The individual signals are always combined by the HSR control unit to form one overall criterion. As a fail-safe feature, the system has recourse to the sensor signals front right and rear right.

Snow chain detection becomes active as follows:

PAD mode switched on
Driving speed greater than approx. 4 to 6 km/h
The snow chain detection is activated but does not compute:

Driving speed greater than approx. 65 km/h
No snow chain detected after a certain time
There is a Check Control message for snow chain detection.
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/g...earch?q=chains

https://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/713/BMW-SNOW-CHAINS
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.

Last edited by Doug Huffman; 12-15-2019 at 06:55 AM.
Old 12-18-2019, 11:11 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: M340i
Your M+S tires meet the minimum requirements for passenger vehicles [1]. Having said that, having snow chains when driving through BC mountains passes in winter is never a bad thing, but likely not necessary for a single trip to Whistler.

1. https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/dr...bc_handout.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2019, 11:31 AM

Mein Auto:
Thank you for the responses. I am scared to install chains in case some highway /pass makes it a requirement in a heavy snowfall weather. In that case, would snow socks like these work: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
330 xi, chains, snow

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > G20 (2019 - Current)
Today's Posts Search