Ski Trip upcoming - Maintenance needed? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 01-19-2020, 12:52 AM
What was that?

Mein Auto: 05 M3, '13 TLC, '11X5 35i
Ski Trip upcoming - Maintenance needed?

So our 35i XDrive reached 125k miles. It is now running well after a couple weeks of work chasing water and oil leaks. I am back into the “I like this car” mood.

Our annual ski trip is coming up and with 1000 miles across Kansas and Colorado each way, I am certain the X5 is the best choice in my fleet. However, I want to make sure I am not missing anything that needs done right now.

In the last 12 months (8000 miles) I did the following:
New Valve cover (PCV failure) and seal
New Oil Cooler & Oil filter housing gaskets
New coils and plugs
New HPFP
New drive belt, tensioner and idler pulleys
Oil Change
Differential and T-Case oil change
Transmission oil change
Rear Brake Pads

I am planning on a full replacement of the coolant, and to do the annual oil change before we go, but wonder what other stuff I may need to take a look into?

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2020, 01:28 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5 e70 4.8
For in the mountains; check the status of the front brakes and brake fluid, and your winter tyres. 4mm thread is the minimum for good snow performance.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Old 01-19-2020, 08:51 AM

Mein Auto: e70 X5d, e36 M3
If you drain and replace the coolant, also replace the coolant temperature sensor. This is the sensor that relays engine temperature to the ecu so that it can alter the air:fuel ratio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2020, 10:32 AM
What was that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM011 View Post
If you drain and replace the coolant, also replace the coolant temperature sensor. This is the sensor that relays engine temperature to the ecu so that it can alter the air:fuel ratio.

Where is said sensor? And why replace?

I took it on a quick and fast 200 mile run two weeks ago and monitored the live temp thru the hidden menu. Hovers between 93 to 102 celsius. Peak was 105, lowest while running 89.

Old 01-19-2020, 11:09 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
AAA member? With a 200 mile plan? Peruse bmw.org for shops along the way.

If you do that, it'll be fine.....

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

OEM is not what BMW sells

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM
Old 01-19-2020, 11:18 AM
What was that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
AAA member? With a 200 mile plan? Peruse bmw.org for shops along the way.

If you do that, it'll be fine.....

Good advice here. AAA yes. Shops between Arkansas and Denver... not many. Is there a place where I can look those up? BMW.org not pulling up

Old 01-19-2020, 11:37 AM

Mein Auto: e70 X5d, e36 M3
Location: you appear to be lucky with the N55 - it is located at the very front of the engine in the head (the same unit for the diesel requires intake manifold removal). If you check NewTIS under Repair Manuals and Technical Data, then drill down to Fuel preparation and Control, you should find more specific instructions.

Why? This sensor helps the ECU know true engine operating temperature. These generally fail slowly over time (like my brain?) and report lower than actual operating temperature. This causes richer running, less power and response, and puts a higher load on the emissions system. When it passes a certain threshold value there will be a code, but engine operating parameters are compromised significantly at that point.

My story: my wife had a 2001 Jetta with the 2.0 that we drove until about 175k miles before selling. Around 100-120k miles we could not get better than about 24.5mpg on the highway (cruising around 80-85mph) and power seemed sluggish (or, perhaps more sluggish than normal for the old “2. slow”). I replaced all ignition components, checked the air filter...no improvement. Finally we got the CEL for this coolant temperature sensor. I replaced it. All of a sudden, power and response were restored and mileage went back to 28.5mpg at the same speeds and on the same trips as before. I have had similar results across different cars throughout the years. These days, around 100k miles as I am replacing the majority of wear and tear items and replacing engine coolant I simply include this sensor in my work.

If you notice any difference after this sensor’s replacement, please report back. You have done everything else you need to do and it is always interesting to hear if this one, inexpensive sensor makes a notable difference for this engine.

Old 01-19-2020, 11:40 AM
Do You Smell That?

Mein Auto: M3
So I assume the heat is working. :-)

Yea, I'm back to warm feelings for my e70 as well. Its an up and down relationship.
Old 01-19-2020, 12:54 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgentoCarNut View Post
Good advice here. AAA yes. Shops between Arkansas and Denver... not many. Is there a place where I can look those up? BMW.org not pulling up

sry

bimmershops.com

think there is a look up with one of the BMW car clubs....

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

OEM is not what BMW sells

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM
Old 01-19-2020, 04:21 PM
What was that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by propchef View Post
So I assume the heat is working. :-)
We bought sweaters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by propchef View Post
Yea, I'm back to warm feelings for my e70 as well. Its an up and down relationship.
Same here. Ours is a pleasure to drive when it is in good working order. Really enjoyable.

Old 01-19-2020, 08:47 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 530xi 6sp, '09 X5 3.0
If you drain the coolant, consider replacing the mickey mouse ears hose that comes from the thermostat to right under the oil cooler. That hose is a known failure point.

I drove my 2006 530xi from East Coast to Denver for Thanksgiving on I-70. We had an unscheduled night in Hays, Kansas when they closed I-70 during the storm that Tuesday. The next morning the highway was open, but pretty dicey. Saw a lot of cars driving too fast with a half dozen off the road as a result. Car was fine there and back.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search