BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

83 320i 5 Speed Question About The Clutch

4K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  danielhill2008 
#1 ·
Hello To All,
1st and foremost thanks to all who helped me with previous questions and posts you guys are the best. I am back once again with yet another question about the clutch in a 83 320i how long typically (estimate of course) do they last? I have 145K originally miles on mine now and a lot of parts are originally so I am wondering here when have you other 320i owners seen the clutch going bad please advise me here? I know it is now displacing signs of wear i.e. the clutch pedal having to go up higher in the air before you let out gear another forums said this was a sure sign of the clutch disc plate becoming too thin. However my question is this how do I know when to change it as everything is okay and fine as far as driving and shifting the car/clutch. So I don't want to pay someone to put a new clutch when the old one is still working okay/fine hence why I need some help/advice on here as to when you guys (previous/current 320i owners) have seen the clutches go bad and wear out what mileage. Please advise with any info or help on this topic I appreciate it much.
Dave

#4 ·
I'm new on this board, and not familiar with the population here, but I'm assuming this is not a job you're considering doing yourself? It's not really all that hard, if you have a place to do it, driveway or such, and some basic tools. You don't need a full pro shop to do this. If you are just concerned about how long it will last, 145K is getting up there if it's the original clutch, depending on your driving habits. My philosophy, with a repair that can ground you, is that it's better for you to decide when and where rather than letting the car decide. Your choice will always be the better one.

Just my $.02

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.