Intermittent Battery Light - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series

3 Series & 4 Series
The BMW 3 Series and 4 Series Forum. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 01-16-2005, 06:30 PM

Mein Auto:
Intermittent Battery Light

Today we had a little gtg drive, and did some spirited driving with the car. Noticed during the drive that the battery light would flicker on and off (~1min intervals). I thought nothing of it, and kept on driving, but noticed towards the end of the drive that the intermittent light came on more often (sometimes every ~10seconds). I was thinking maybe something was wrong with the alternator, but I didn't notice anything wrong with the car while driving it, and checked all the battery connections (I put in a new battery about two weeks ago). I'm hoping it's not the alternator about to go bad, but the car starts and runs fine. It almost seemed as though the light flickered more when the car was being driven harder. Has anyone else had this sort of problem, or could shed some light into this matter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2005, 06:48 PM
Account closed at users request

Send a message via AIM to kioneo
Mein Auto: 1991 318i (E30, M42)
I had a similar problem with my car. I had replaced the battery about 2 days before. I notice the "flickering" battery light at first. After that I noticed the Check Engine light and a rought idle. Then my instrument cluster died (0 RPM, 0 MPH, no coolant temp, etc) but the car was still running. My turn signals and headlights died.

Long story short, my alternator died when I had replaced the battery. From that point I was running on the battery without it recharging. The battery did end up dying on me and I had to get it recharged before driving it to the garage to have the alternator replaced.

I don't know what exactly may have caused the alternator to die, but I believe it was original (160,000+ miles).
Old 01-16-2005, 08:12 PM
just copacetic!!!

Mein Auto: '16 428i GC
Similar story with my '84 MBZ 190E - had the alternator replaced, but then a couple of months later, lights started dimming, couldn't start, etc. Flat-bedded it back to my independant and they diagnosed a defective alternator. They replaced it and also replaced my battery with a new one (at no extra charge)
'19 230i MSpt AlpWhite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2005, 09:34 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2018 BMW 540i
Bad alternator. Get a new one now before it leaves you stranded.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 330xi e46
I got a Sears DieHard battery in September to replace the old one who had lived out its life. I've had to jump the car four times now. And I fear harm to my alternator in the long-term. I have taken it to Sears and they said the battery tests fine. And that I don't have a drain. I think they're setting me up 2 sell me an alternator. But I wont. Sears is good for batteries in my mind, Period. My terminals are clean, going to try a voltage meter test next. Don't know why this is happening. The car starts up right away after jumping it, but it has been dead when I've gotten into the car with no variables, no lights on Etc. I'm afraid I'm going to be stuck with replacing the battery and Sears is not going to honor their warranty. Anybody have trouble with the battery exclusively?

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series
Today's Posts Search