How to close tailgate - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - 2017)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - 2017)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo - 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 04-24-2019, 10:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2017 550i M-Sport xDrive
How to close tailgate

I have a 2017 550ix GT. Closing the tailgate seems to be restricted to the button on the back of the tailgate itself. It's annoying.

I've searched and I come up with no options. The button near the drivers door opens the tailgate, but it doesn't close it. The fob opens but can't close the tailgate.

is there any other way to close the tailgate other than using the button on the tailgate itself?

Thank you for your help.
2017 550i GT, Twin-Turbo V-8, Jet Black Exterior, Executive Pkg, M-Sport, Luxury Seating Pkg, Bang & Olufsen Sound, Cold Weather Pkg, Driver Assistance, All Wheel Drive, Bluetooth Connection, Cooled Front Seat(s), Heated Front Seat(s), Leather Seats, Auxiliary Audio Input, CD Player, Dual Moonroof, Heated Rear Seat(s), Multi-Zone A/C, Back-Up Camera, Chrome Wheels, Generic Sun/Moonroof, Keyless Start, Navigation System

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2019, 12:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 550i GT
I have a 2012 550 GT and the only way I can close it is to hit the button on the tailgate itself. If there is another way, I'd love to know...
Old 04-24-2019, 03:20 PM

It's amazing to me that a car as high-tech as ours did not find a way to safely close the tailgate some other way. Ridiculous.
2017 550i GT, Twin-Turbo V-8, Jet Black Exterior, Executive Pkg, M-Sport, Luxury Seating Pkg, Bang & Olufsen Sound, Cold Weather Pkg, Driver Assistance, All Wheel Drive, Bluetooth Connection, Cooled Front Seat(s), Heated Front Seat(s), Leather Seats, Auxiliary Audio Input, CD Player, Dual Moonroof, Heated Rear Seat(s), Multi-Zone A/C, Back-Up Camera, Chrome Wheels, Generic Sun/Moonroof, Keyless Start, Navigation System

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2019, 03:31 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT; i3 BEV
From a liability issue, closing is more problematic than opening, especially in the USA that has the highest client:lawyer ratio of any other country. You can't protect stupid entirely, so, there's a button on the hatch to close it...that assumes you know you're not going to hurt someone in the process because you're there. Not so if you can do it from remote.

It probably is something that can be coded, and may be standard in some other, less litigious countries.

Have you searched around in Bimmercode?
Old 04-26-2019, 02:08 PM

You're right about the legal angle, but it's a shame that the fear of being sued so permeates us in the USA.

I had no knowledge of Bimmercode until you mentioned it. I will check into it.

Thank you for your help.

Old 04-29-2019, 05:02 AM

Mein Auto: 750iL
On a UK car the safety aspect is covered by having to press and hold the diamond fob button for the large hatch to close. There is a pause too before movement starts, and releasing the button stops the closure. Press and hold the button again re-starts the closure.
Old 04-29-2019, 06:08 AM

Mein Auto: 02 325CI, 15 535xi GT
Litigation...anybody have some hot coffee they want to spill on their lap while trying to open tailgate with wheel well switch?
Old 04-29-2019, 08:10 AM

What do you mean by the "large hatch"? Is there a small hatch on some of these vehicles?

It's a shame that our litigious society has gained control of much of our lives with stupid, unreasonable law suits and granting mammoth settlements. Look on the visor of your car. There will be a YELLOW label there that no one reads ... and if you spill hot coffee on your lap it is on you, not the company that gave you the coffee. Ridiculous and frustrating. Too any frivolous laws and law suits allowed to change our lives. OK. I'm done for now. It just hit a nerve.

Old 04-29-2019, 09:32 AM

Tailgate is a two part unit. You can open upper part like a trunk, or the entire unit like a Hatchback. That is why there are dividers behind seats; if you open just the trunk part inner cabin is sealed from elements.
Old 04-29-2019, 01:48 PM

Mein Auto: GT 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by PopThinks View Post
What do you mean by the "large hatch"? Is there a small hatch on some of these vehicles?

It's a shame that our litigious society has gained control of much of our lives with stupid, unreasonable law suits and granting mammoth settlements. Look on the visor of your car. There will be a YELLOW label there that no one reads ... and if you spill hot coffee on your lap it is on you, not the company that gave you the coffee. Ridiculous and frustrating. Too any frivolous laws and law suits allowed to change our lives. OK. I'm done for now. It just hit a nerve.
Yes, your trunk has 2 parts.
Yes, coding takes care of closing from the button inside and with key fob.
Old 04-29-2019, 04:46 PM

This is very interesting. How do I get to activate the "small hatch"? I've had the car for 5 months and i am just learning this now. Thank you for your help.

Old 04-29-2019, 05:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 535i GT xDrive
Under the trunk lip there are two releases. The outer one is for the hatch and the inner is for the trunk.
Old 04-29-2019, 10:26 PM

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT; i3 BEV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Shadow View Post
Under the trunk lip there are two releases. The outer one is for the hatch and the inner is for the trunk.
The operation of the individual switches seems to have changed in later model years. The 2014 MY operates that way. I don't remember when they switched it.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:41 AM

Hey Pop, you may also have the feature of sensors under rear bumper. Read your manual on procedure to release trunk by placing foot under bumper twice.
Old 04-30-2019, 07:03 AM

I found it! Thanks for your help.

Old 04-30-2019, 07:05 AM

I do have that feature, but I am inconsistent with finding the right spot. I'll take a closer look later today. Thanks for your help!

Old 05-06-2019, 03:30 PM

Mein Auto: f07 2013 535ix gt
codemybimmer.ca offers numerous coding options for this car, including the hatch/fob code.
Have used this guy for several cars. Very professional.

Last edited by [email protected]; 05-06-2019 at 03:32 PM. Reason: info added
Old 05-06-2019, 03:35 PM

closing with foot

Quote:
I do have that feature, but I am inconsistent with finding the right spot. I'll take a closer look later today. Thanks for your help!
The sensor in back and under the bumper gets dirty easily and requires frequent cleaning.
Old 05-06-2019, 03:37 PM

Quote:
You're right about the legal angle, but it's a shame that the fear of being sued so permeates us in the USA.

I had no knowledge of Bimmercode until you mentioned it. I will check into it.

Thank you for your help.
Codemybimmer.ca provides all the codes and is professional and reasonable.
I have had several cars done by him.
Old 05-06-2019, 03:38 PM

Quote:
I found it! Thanks for your help.
Now it looks like a Skoda!!
Old 05-07-2019, 06:06 AM

You need to have fob in car or with you for it to work. Also manual has pictoral of location to put your foot (sweep front to back twice, not left to right).
Old 06-13-2019, 01:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 550i GT xDrive
@Dens_F07, which code makes this work specifically with Bimmercode? Also I like how you did your front bumper. Is that an aftermarket or did you just use vinyl to add the two tone look on the front?
Old 06-14-2019, 10:22 AM

Mein Auto: GT 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun550GT View Post
@Dens_F07, which code makes this work specifically with Bimmercode? Also I like how you did your front bumper. Is that an aftermarket or did you just use vinyl to add the two tone look on the front?
I did not use bimmercode. My car was coded by bmcoding.com which happens to be based out of Atlanta,GA where I live. They too offer remote coding and map upgrades. As far as my bumper, thank you, it is vinyl.
Old 06-25-2019, 05:17 PM

Mein Auto: '14 535iGT xDrive
Coded my tailgate with the Carly app. Closes with the tailgate, footwell. and foot sensor switch now. As a matter of fact, my foot sensor has even been known to open the tailgate while I am washing the GT and inadvertently place my foot under the rear bumper. Also, while washing the car, my doors love to lock & unlock themselves when the water from the hose or my wash brush contacts them.
Old 06-25-2019, 05:40 PM

Mein Auto: '14 535iGT xDrive
Quote:

Large hatch versus the small, non power trunk hatch.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - 2017)
Today's Posts Search