Check Control Chassis warning - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - 2017)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - 2017)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo - 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 06-30-2019, 05:32 AM

Mein Auto:
Check Control Chassis warning

My 2014 530D GT is giving me warnings that say "Chassis - drive moderately to service centre". The local main dealer has checked it, found no problem and cleared the message, but it has returned. Despite the dealer's assurance I'm not comfortable that the car is safe to drive. Has anyone experienced something like this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2019, 08:31 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '14 535iGT xDrive
I had the same warning and was finally able to trace down the problem causing it by myself. Turned out that a rodent of some sort (thinking it's one of the pita chipmunks around here) had decide to build a nest inside the cover for the self leveling air suspension cover behind the rear bumper. Upon removing said cover, I discovered that the little pest had also chewed clean through the two wires that enter the passenger side (US) end of the compressor, whereby it did not function at all. Fortunately, the bags were inflated when he finished chewing through them, so there was no noticeable sag of the rear end. As these wires are part of the compressor harness, replacement was out of the question, so I spliced them back together and all was good in BMW land after that. FYI, I used the Carly adapter & app to zero in on the search area for the issue and clear the code. If you don't have these, you might just want to invest in them as they will cost less than just one trip to the stealership for diagnosis, and there are literally dozens of other features that come with the app that allow you to access many hidden features in your car and change them to your hearts content whenever you like.
Old 07-01-2019, 02:20 PM

Mein Auto:

Many thanks for your post, Semi-Retired. I think you are right that it has to do with the airbags although I can't see anything obviously wrong and the car is not down at the rear. Disconcertingly the warning has disappeared today, and consulting Check Control shows "No Fault", which would seem to rule out a break in wiring to the compressor - but I doubt the message might reappear when it is most inconvenient. I am looking into your suggestion re the Carly, thanks for that too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2019, 02:58 PM

Should the warning mysteriously re-appear, there might possibly be an intermittent break in the wiring. The Carly adapter and app will most likely narrow down the system having the issue as it did for me, thus giving you at least a hint as to where you should start looking for the problem. Also, as I have discovered twice on my GT, the connector plugs on these vehicles are extremely touchy if disturbed (as in disconnected and then reconnected). This occurred once each on my reversing camera & sensors, and then on one of my taillights. Simply disconnecting and then firmly reconnecting the them cleared the problems up instantly. As I was having an indicated fault in my drivers power seat at the time as well, I decided to do the same to its connectors, and once again the issue was immediately cleared and has yet to return.
Old 07-02-2019, 04:25 AM

Mein Auto:
update

Well the message returned with a vengeance this morning, and immediately thereafter the car sat down on the bump stops at the back and every road imperfection felt like a cliff edge.. I re-started a couple of times but I don't believe the compressor was coming on - traffic noise made me unsure. Luckily I was only a few hundred yards from our local independent who are very good. When they saw the car their first guess was an electrical fault because it is down at both sides. Going on holiday shortly so I'm glad it happened now, but why did the main dealer fail to find a fault when they checked? Not much point in Check Control if nothing can be done before the car breaks down.
Old 07-02-2019, 06:16 AM

The first suspension component to check (and easiest to replace) would be the leveling control, which is located inside of the right rear wheel on the frame, just ahead of the axle. As this seems to intermittent problem, the control (which is electronic, incidentally) could be going bad, or the connector to it could be loose or have an issue with corrosion in the connector. It could also be that the arm connecting the leveling control to the axle has become disconnected or broken, either of which will be readily apparent upon removal of the wheel. If that's not the problem, then it's time to remover the cover from around the compressor to inspect wiring and connectors there. As the entire back end of your GT is sagging, it's highly unlikely that the bags are leaking.
Old 07-02-2019, 09:19 AM

Mein Auto:
So would I be right in thinking that while any of these factors might prevent the compressor from cutting in, none of them would explain the apparently sudden loss of all the air? In S-R's previous post the airbags stayed up despite the wiring to the compressor being chewed away.
Old 07-02-2019, 09:51 AM

The sudden loss of air is odd, given that when the code appeared previously the suspension was still up. First thing I'd be checking is that leveling valve behind the right real wheel. You might just get lucky and find bent, disconnected, or broken linkage, which would be relatively easy to remedy or replace. I believe the leveling valve/linkage is one unit and not two separate parts. That's where the Carly would be of great assistance. In my situation with the chewed apart wires, it indicated a short in the compressor wiring as the ends of the chewed wires were touching each other. Since I did not see any problem with the wiring outside of the compressor housing, removal of it allowed me to spot the problem immediately. Well, immediately after I removed the offending rodents nest that had been built in there, that is.
Old 07-24-2019, 09:48 AM

Mein Auto:
Well since my last post my local garage got the air bags up again (in fact they said they went up too far and had to release air manually) and I have since done about 700 miles with the suspension staying up. However, as before, I get frequent warnings about the Chassis problem which is disconcerting, although many miles can go by with the Check Control advising "No Fault". The local mechanics, not having BMW diagnostic software, gave up and suggested I get the main dealer to check. This I did. They found "No Fault" also, but nevertheless could tell me that (inter alia) I need a new compressor and control valve etc., new air bags (one was changed only last year) and a new battery. This will cost 2500 plus. Since they don't know what is causing the warning message, can I be sure that it will be gone forever followiing this expenditure?
My last BMW ran to 200,00 miles with only routine servicing, a new radiator and normal wear parts. Just saying...
Old 07-24-2019, 07:01 PM

Sounds to me as if the dealer is just wanting you to give them carte blanche to drain your bank account by just throwing new parts at the problem until something finally works. If they are not competent enough to zero in on the root cause of the problem, I would (if possible) go elsewhere.The Carly app led me to my problem (and others), which I then rectified myself. Stealerships will bleed you dry if you allow them to.
Old 12-11-2019, 03:18 PM

Mein Auto:
Just posting an update. An independent fitted a pattern compressor and valve, and the car has so far run without the "Chassis" warning. I'm still uneasy because I've noticed that most times when I stop and leave the car, the compressor is pumping the car up, followed by a sharp release of air as the car settles back down. Surely this isn't normal? The car does not lose height even when parked for days, but I'm worried it might be happening continuously while I'm driving.
Old 12-11-2019, 05:15 PM

It is not normal for the suspension to be overfilled and then have to release air like that. I almost never hear my compressor working except in one spot at the end of my drive when I turn in off the road and stop to check the mailbox. it will run for a few seconds and then stop, never overfilling. When pulling into my garage and parking the car, the compressor is never triggered. I'm rather suspect of the replacement leveling control they installed. It is certainly not out of the realm of possibility that it was bad right out of the box. It most probably isn't an issue with the compressor itself. The compressor only does what the leveling control tells it to do, be it airing the bags up or down.
Old 12-11-2019, 07:28 PM

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT; i3 BEV
Note that the air in the suspension will expand and contract based on the ambient conditions, so if things were marginal on a cold morning, the fault might go away after things warmed up, then come back on again after things cool off later. YOu can notice similar faults with the TPMS. The compressor will need to add air when the load changes, too, and the system would need to release some when the load lowered, even just using some fuel could require a small adjustment. That could easily account for the error coming and going. On some fault codes, their display doesn't always go away until a certain amount of time has elapsed where parameters have remained normal. They may or may not stay in memory.
Old 12-12-2019, 05:17 AM

Mein Auto: 750iL
I had this same message which is not informative, and found that the power steering reservoir was a little low, as the fluid is shared with other 'chassis' systems
Old 01-09-2020, 02:52 PM

Mein Auto:

Yet another update: the engineer checked again and assured me the compressor is not running after it has set itself until I stop, or start. Almost every time I do, however, it certainly does overfill and let air escape, often several times, before settling at what appears to be an appropriate height. I have since travelled almost 1000 miles, so far without incident and with no Check Control messages, but as I aim to drive down through Europe this summer I might change the car for something more confidence-inspiring.
Incidentally I would like to thank the folks who responded to my appeal for help, especially S-R., all of which was much appreciated.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
chassis, no fault found, warning

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - 2017)
Today's Posts Search