What's up with no fog lights on the GT? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - 2017)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - 2017)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo - 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 10-08-2013, 05:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 535i GT M Sport
Question What's up with no fog lights on the GT?

I notice Standard, Luxury and Modern lines have fog lights but from avidude's ED pictures, the M-Sport doesn't. The 5 series sedan M-Sport has them. Any ideas on why the GT M-Sport doesn't?
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2013, 07:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i GT Neptune Blue
Seems to be a design trend on sport models. Real M cars don't have fog lights. M sport 7 series don't have them. 3&4 series M sports don't have them. But 5 series still gets them.

Not sure any of it makes sense to me. I think it looks plain without them, cheap plastic inserts where the fog lights should have been, I actually expected LED fog lights since I got the LED package...

2017 740i Individual, Ruby Black, Tartufo Merino Leather, 20" Wheels, Executive Pkg, Driver's Assist I & II, Luxury Rear Seat Pkg, & CarPlay
Delivered at the BMW WELT in Munich Oct. 14, 2016

2014 BMW 550GT M-Sport Imperial Blue - ED Aug 2013
2014 BMW K1600GTE Mineral White
2011 BMW 550GT Neptune Blue - ED Oct 2010
2008 BMW 550i Monaco Blue
Old 10-08-2013, 09:06 PM

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT; i3 BEV
And, rear fog lights, while standard or at least common elsewhere, are not on US models. But, you can buy a new switch, replace it in a few minutes, and get them should you want - the lights are already there, at least on the GT! I did, ECS Tuning has the switch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2013, 10:35 AM
got something nicer?

Mein Auto: Ex'11 535 GTx Now 970.2
Ugh. I use my fogs to turn my headlights (too lazy to move the knob out of auto and too dumb to remember to put it back to auto) on when I'm using my wipers.
Old 10-12-2013, 01:42 PM

Mein Auto: X5 E70
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post
And, rear fog lights, while standard or at least common elsewhere, are not on US models. But, you can buy a new switch, replace it in a few minutes, and get them should you want - the lights are already there, at least on the GT! I did, ECS Tuning has the switch.
That's good to know. Thanks for the tip.
How hard is it to remove the trip to get to the switch? Or does it even need to be removed?
I tend to break tabs and other delicate parts unless i have instructions.
Old 10-12-2013, 02:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i GT M Sport
Do some searching on Rear Fog Light Switch, especially in the 5 series forum. There's some Youtube clips and the whole nine yards on how to do it.
Old 10-12-2013, 02:24 PM

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT; i3 BEV
The trim is just pushed in place with spring tabs. You don't want to use anything that might scratch the trim or the dash, but it pries straight out easily if you get something underneath an edge. Some have reported they were able to just use their fingernails. I used a plastic trim removal tool...pretty simple. Then, you need a Torx screwdriver. The (really small) connector has a lock, and can be a bit of a pain to remove, but you just remove that, plug it into the new one, screw it back in place, then press the trim back in and it works. It really should take less than 10-minutes, probably less.

Note, just like the front fog lights, the rear ones only come on in certain light switch positions for the main beams. And, they are pretty directional...stand really close and if you're tall, you may not notice them on it the daytime, unless you bend down.
Old 10-12-2013, 02:52 PM

Mein Auto: X5 E70
Quote:
The trim is just pushed in place with spring tabs. You don't want to use anything that might scratch the trim or the dash, but it pries straight out easily if you get something underneath an edge. Some have reported they were able to just use their fingernails. I used a plastic trim removal tool...pretty simple. Then, you need a Torx screwdriver. The (really small) connector has a lock, and can be a bit of a pain to remove, but you just remove that, plug it into the new one, screw it back in place, then press the trim back in and it works. It really should take less than 10-minutes, probably less.

Note, just like the front fog lights, the rear ones only come on in certain light switch positions for the main beams. And, they are pretty directional...stand really close and if you're tall, you may not notice them on it the daytime, unless you bend down.
Thanks a lot
I'll give it a try
Old 11-09-2013, 03:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 550i GT XDrive
How is the B&O sound system... You're the first person I've seen with it.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:33 AM

Mein Auto: '10 550GT
Quote:

I purchased the euro spec switch over on the F10/11 board (quite a bit cheaper than buying new from a vendor) and popped it in - took me less than 3 mins. No trim removal tool required. Just grab the right edge of the trim panel and pull - it comes out very easily and allows you to work your way around the top edge and then the bottom edge and work it out in 30 secs or less... The new switch works perfectly (front fog, rear fog, headlights and interior light dimming).
2010 550 GT Black Sapphire, Active Ventilated Seats, Convenience, Cold Weather, Driver Assistance, Dynamic Handling, Luxury Rear Seating, Premium Sound, Sport, Rear-View Camera, Ceramic Controls, Ski Bag, Side View Camera, Sirius and Triple3_O Coded.
Old 05-28-2019, 12:52 PM

Mein Auto:
I know this is an old thread, but I just bought a 16' F07 which came with the original window sticker. Interestingly it lists "LED fog lights" as standard equipment, yet the car does not have them. I was interested in the rear ones too, so I was looking into getting the switch that has the controls for both front and rear. My main question is about the wiring. I took off the plastic grate to expose the hole for the front fog lights, but couldn't find a plug or any wiring. Shouldn't that plug and wiring already be there? If so, I would go ahead and buy some lights and the switch. Does anyone else have them listed as an included standard option, but then not have them?

Last edited by ccramerusc; 05-29-2019 at 05:55 PM.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 550i GT xDrive
I am interested in this thread as well because I don't have fog lights. Mine is a 2016 550GT and I was told Fog Lights are deleted if you have the M Package with the upgraded Wheels and Brakes. The Brake Air Inlet was a priority, but I would imagine non-M cars have the same brake duct but maybe not.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:30 PM

Mein Auto:
That makes sense, since i have the M Package, but when you look at the grill, the front brake air inlets are located on the outside edge of the center lower grill. The fog lights go on the outside edge of the outer grills, just outside the opening for the aux radiator (one side) and oil cooler (other side). There is a location made for them with a plastic cover over it, just behind the grill. You can pop it off with your hands. Plus, it's just weird to me that they are listed on the sticker as included, yet they are not...
Thanks for the response.

Last edited by ccramerusc; 06-13-2019 at 01:36 PM.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 550i GT xDrive
I definitely agree is it weird. My car has every option but Night Vision and the Fog Lights, so weird it wasn't included. I'll keep digging and if I find anything I'll let you know.
Old 06-25-2019, 05:29 PM

Mein Auto: '14 535iGT xDrive
Quote:
As soon as I discovered that my GT had the rear fogs, but not the switch to activate them, I jumped on ebay, found one in Lithuania, dickered with the seller just a bit, and got it for $72 shipped. As a matter of fact, the switch even has a headlight angle adjustment thumbwheel, but that is non functional as the GT is equipped with the self leveling and cornering headlights. Anyway, all I had to do upon receiving the switch was pop off the trim panel that holds the switch, disconnect the plug to the switch, remove a couple small screws , and install the new switch in place of the old one, and now my rear fogs are quite functional.
Old 07-28-2019, 07:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 X5 4.4/2013 650ix GC
Just an FYI regarding the headlight switch...there are multiple designs based on the type of lights the car is optioned with. You might want to consider which one to shop for if you're going to change yours. I can only imagine future owners trying to figure out why the adjustment dial doesn't work...and forum members trying to figure out what they're talking about...until someone figures out that the switch was upgraded for the rear fog light application, but the switch for halogen headlamps were used and they have automatic headlamp system.

If you have halogen headlights, front & rear fog lights, and manual adjustment for headlamp beam...your headlamp switch looks like this:

1. Rear fog light switch
2. Front fog light switch
3. Light switch
4. Knurled wheel for manual headlight beam throw
5. Dimmer for instrument lighting

If you have bi-xenon or LED headlights with automatic headlamp beam adjustment...your headlamp switch looks like this:

1. Rear fog light switch
2. Front fog light switch
3. No explanation needed...you guys know what this is for
4. No explanation needed...you guys know what this is for
5. No explanation needed...you guys know what this is for
6. No explanation needed...you guys know what this is for
7. Light switch
8. Dimmer for instrument lighting
Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 2013 F06 650ix Gran Coupe` (Black Sapphire) 1/13 mfg date
(SOLD)
97 740iL (Arctic Silver) <<~>> 99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=637911&d=1538398374&thumb=1&stc=1

Last edited by QSilver7; 07-28-2019 at 07:57 AM.
Old 07-28-2019, 09:28 AM

Mein Auto: '14 535iGT xDrive
I purchased and installed one like the first one on my GT. Paid a bit over $70 for it shipped from Lithuania. I was primarily after the switch to enable the rear fogs. As I have the self leveling HID's for headlights, I can verify that the roller switch for the headlights do precisely nothing with those self levelers, but at least I do have the rear fogs working now. Can't be too careful, given the way people drive (and I use that term loosely) these days.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - 2017)
Today's Posts Search