How long can you drive with a screw in the tire? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 01-11-2020, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 320i/F30
How long can you drive with a screw in the tire?

Tire pressure warning today.
Checked tire within 2 miles and 6 minutes of warning.
24 psi. Left rear has a screw in the middle of the tread.
Tire refilled to 38 psi.
Recommended pressure 32 psi.

Tire shop too busy today.

With reduced driving, I could drive

5 miles today (Saturday).
Recheck tire/fill with air, drive 50 miles over 15 hours on Wednesday.
Recheck tire/fill with air, drive 30 miles on Thursday.

Would this plan work? I'd buy new summer tires in a week and not drive if it snows in the last half of January and all of February.

Alternate plan: fix tire on Monday or Tuesday. Hope they will patch a run flat. Buy new tires in the spring.
Step by step instructions when a hood release cable needs replacement. https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=981724
SIB 11 13 15 oil filter housing for the F30 - metal since mid-2013 and can be retrofitted without charge
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=951692
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2020, 12:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 320i
I don't think you could get a singular answer to your question. For one you have to establish the rate of leakage. The rate may go up during driving. And the rate can change if the screw shifts in the tire. I think you're on your own on this matter.

You may want to pack a bicycle pump in the car.
Old 01-11-2020, 12:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '74 tii / E28s / '03 530i
Get a patch & plug ASAP. Center of tread should be repairable. Otherwise you risk permanent tire damage, potential body damage and/or personal injury.
BMW CCA #30375 - National Capital Chapter
1974 2002tii
1986 535i
2000 328i
2003 530i
2006 330ic ZHP
2015 228i M Sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2020, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

That's what I was afraid of, the unknown rate of leakage, especially the 50 miles on Wednesday. Of course, a run flat can run with little air but not very well with no air. On Wednesday, I have to drive 25 miles each way for a total of 50 miles with about 15 hours between leaving and coming back home. I have an air pump but it needs an electrical outlet. There are gas stations within a mile of the destination and they probably have air.

On the other hand, I know some people who would drive with a screw in the tire like they don't have a care in the world. Maybe they'd add air every week or so. Maybe the tire pressure might drop to 15 psi.

Thanks for your thoughts. I now think I'll try to find a place to plug and patch the tire on Monday, drive only 5 more miles today, and buy new tires some time in the spring, summer or even early 2021.
Step by step instructions when a hood release cable needs replacement. https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=981724
SIB 11 13 15 oil filter housing for the F30 - metal since mid-2013 and can be retrofitted without charge

Last edited by Dave 20T; 01-11-2020 at 01:32 PM.
Old 01-11-2020, 12:57 PM
just copacetic!!!

Mein Auto: '16 428i GC
Iíd repair it ASAP while keeping an eye on the TPMS, but thatís me.
'19 230i MSpt AlpWhite
Old 01-11-2020, 02:31 PM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Three years ago now, I think, I got a low pressure alarm on leaving Seabrook Island, SC, on our way to near Ocala, Florida. As soon as I looked at the tire I noticed the GD wire brad an inch from the side of the tire, and thought that the leak rate from a brad can't be great. So I filled the tire at the Station at Freshfields, their business center. It probably wasn't 50 miles until the low pressure alarm, so I turned back to the next previous gas station that I had noticed on US-17 through the Ashepoo Combahee Edisto Rivers basin wilderness area. And it was obvious that I wasn't making it to Ocala right away. We headed for Bluffton / Hilton Head and the alarm sounded again in just five miles. POOP. Turned off US-17 onto the road to HH and found a safe place to park and wait.

We did make it to Ocala, Inverness actually, that day, tired, pissed and poorer.

Just a year later, on the way home from Florida, on leaving our over night stop near Chicago I noticed a screw head in a tire. I drove to the local dealer full of trepidation. They pulled the screw and it did not leak, so they glued the hole and I sold the t i r e s with 44k miles and half tread remaining.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 01-11-2020, 02:53 PM

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
The screw is in the middle of the tread? It should be an easy repair. I recommend a Bridgestone/Firestone store as they're very familiar with RF repairs as I assume this is what you have?

They can handle it even if they're non-RFs.
E92 335i 6MT
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 01-11-2020, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator

An update:
This is going to be a fast leak. It's leaking 1 psi every hour. 5 hours later in the afternoon, it's already 4-6 psi less. I do not think it will last the 50 mile round trip on Wednesday. I'll get it fixed by Monday. If not, I have a full sized spare run flat tire. That spare is a new, never used wheel and tire, fits a F30. It's for sale but now I might use it and then it won't be a mint piece of art for sale.

In comparison, every previous nail or screw that I've had as well as those in cars that I looked after, has had a slow leak.

FURTHER UPDATE:
Tire shop said the tire could not be safely plugged and patched and wouldn't do it. They said the tire had been driven too long, causing damage inside the tire. Curious because I only drove a short distance and the tire pressure never went below 24 and only for a short time. I am reassessing what tires to buy. I don't like the current model used.

Last edited by Dave 20T; 01-14-2020 at 01:11 PM.
Old 01-11-2020, 10:23 PM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
if you are in a pinch, throw a plug in it and get it patched asap. even if the plug fails its still a runflat.

ran over something that put a fairly large hole in the sidewall block of a winter runflat, unpatchable, but had to drive for a few days until the new tire came in:

two plugs sealed that and i was able to limp around for a few days until the replacement came in. didnt lose any air but i drove very cautiously.

i keep a 12V pump (dewalt, so it takes both a 20V battery pack and 12V outlet) and a plug kit, along with a bmw folding jack and other tools.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oops.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	878275  
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Past: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Past: 2016 F34 335i xDrive ZCW/ZDA/ZDH/ZTP/ZMP/2V5/5DL
Present: 2019 G01 M40i ZDA/2VF/ZPP/ZPX/688/3AC

Last edited by Orient330iNYC; 01-11-2020 at 10:25 PM.
Old 01-12-2020, 12:48 AM

Mein Auto: bimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 20T View Post
An update:
This is going to be a fast leak. It's leaking 1 psi every hour. 5 hours later in the afternoon, it's already 4-6 psi less. I do not think it will last the 50 mile round trip on Wednesday. I'll get it fixed by Monday. If not, I have a full sized spare run flat tire. That spare is a new, never used wheel and tire, fits a F30. It's for sale but now I might use it and then it won't be a mint piece of art for sale.

In comparison, every previous nail or screw that I've had as well as those in cars that I looked after, has had a slow leak.
Been there done that, namely, went to tire shop half hour before opening on a Monday and got first walk-in spot. It was a RFT and was patched within an hour.
Old 01-12-2020, 04:40 AM
You Don't Need to Know

Mein Auto: '14 328xi Sport Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestas View Post
I don't think you could get a singular answer to your question. For one you have to establish the rate of leakage. The rate may go up during driving. And the rate can change if the screw shifts in the tire. I think you're on your own on this matter.

You may want to pack a bicycle pump in the car.
I agree with this. There's no way to give a definitive answer. That thing could pop out tomorrow, or it could stay put for a week or more.

And bicycle pump? I have an older version of this, which has an adopter that fits the "cigarette lighter" charging port in my car:

https://www.target.com/p/black-decke...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

2014 328i xDrive | Black Sapphire / Black Red Dakota | Sport Line | Premium Pkg | Lighting Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | Driver Assistance | Nav | Sport Automatic Transmission
Old 01-14-2020, 04:58 PM
Glaird

Mein Auto: F10-'16 550i, F82-'18 M4
Quote:
An update:
This is going to be a fast leak. . . . .

FURTHER UPDATE:
Tire shop said the tire could not be safely plugged and patched and wouldn't do it. They said the tire had been driven too long, causing damage inside the tire. . . . .
This is likely NOT BS to sell you a new tire. If the screw was robust and twisted/bent while driving instead of wearing down slowly, not unlike normal tread blocks, you most certainly elongated the hole/tear in the tire. A plug will not work at all. A patch might work for a while (however long that is), but the flexing of the tread, combined with the stretching of the elongated hole, will also cause the patch to leak.
I suspect even tire goo won't work either, for similar reasons.
Old 01-14-2020, 06:29 PM

Mein Auto: '14 535iGT xDrive
Just a little FYI for those with flat tire issues such as this. I discovered, quite by accident, that the place to go for tire repairs such as this is Discount Tire, if you're lucky enough to have one in your area (I believe Discount Tire Express is also part of the same company). About 4 years ago the car I had at the time picked up a screw in a tire that caused just such a slow leak. I drove it that way for a few days, and the leak just kept getting a bit worse. Finally one day I aired up the leaker, drove about 15 miles to a store, and when I cam out 30 minutes later the tire was half flat. As luck would have it, there was a Discount Tire almost directly across the road, so I made a beeline for it. Just as soon as I shut the car off, one of the countermen from the store was at my window asking how he could help me. I told him the issue, he wrote it up, and almost immediately took the car into the tire bay, where the removed the tire & wheel from the car, took the tire off the wheel, did a proper patch job with a quality mushroom patch from the inside out, reassembled the tire & wheel, reinstalled it back on the car, handed me my key, and thanked me for coming to their store. OH, and the charge for this service? $0, nada, zilch, nothing, zed. Standard operating procedure at Discount Tire I discovered. I have since purchased two (expensive) sets of tires and a replacement wheel from them for the Beemer. Their tire prices are as good or better than anyone else in the area, and match up with Tire Racks almost perfectly, and you don't have to have them shipped to you and drag them to a shop for install.
Old 01-15-2020, 05:18 AM

Mein Auto: 328xi GT
I will agree with Semi-Retired, I've had the same experience with DT. Had a couple no charge repairs done and their prices have been very good on new tires. Have purchased several sets both winter and summer for our various cars.
Old 01-15-2020, 05:35 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
I recall that Gerald's Tires in Charleston, SC, fixes flats for free.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 01-15-2020, 01:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 135i
Well, all the way to the scene of the crash. While your collecting data on leakage rates.

Really there is only one question here, can this tire take me to the repair shop, or do I remove the wheel and take it to the repair shop?
Old 01-16-2020, 06:23 AM

Mein Auto: 04 325Ci Sport Coupe
My reply was much shorter: This sounds like Natural Selection. I literally drove the next morning to Discount when I found a screw in a tire on my A4.

Last edited by lyleswk; 01-16-2020 at 06:25 AM.
Old 01-21-2020, 01:25 PM

Mein Auto: 1996 BMW 840ci
Shops will NOT patch run flat tires !
I managed to get a very sizable railroad nail/screw in one of my run flat tires 5 years ago and when I was told by 3 different shops (Costco, dealership and Big O Tires) that nobody will fix a run flat tire I decided to drive it like this until it gets destroyed. Well, it's been 5 years and only leaks a very little amount of air ( I have to add 3-4 psi once a month or so). In another year I will have to change all the tires due to age and wear but not due to this road hazard, so I'd say since you have run flats also you're safe.
Old 01-21-2020, 01:36 PM

Mein Auto: 4 BMWs, 1 Mini, 1 Vespa
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyG View Post
I managed to get a very sizable railroad nail/screw in one of my run flat tires 5 years ago and when I was told by 3 different shops (Costco, dealership and Big O Tires) that nobody will fix a run flat tire I decided to drive it like this until it gets destroyed. Well, it's been 5 years and only leaks a very little amount of air ( I have to add 3-4 psi once a month or so). In another year I will have to change all the tires due to age and wear but not due to this road hazard, so I'd say since you have run flats also you're safe.
Some shops will not fix a runflat because they make more money selling new tires, but in reality it depends on where the puncture is, the age and condition of the tire, and then there is staff at the shop. No real difference from conventional tires.
I have a patched runflat on the 428i and I've had runflats patched on older cars in the past. I find that the local tire shops that are not national franchises are more apt to patch a tire.
2013 Cooper S
2007 650i - 6 speed
2002 330ci convertible - 5 speed

Past:
2012 X5 Diesel
2012 Countryman S All4 - 6 speed
2006 Cooper S - 6 speed
2006 330i - 6 speed
1997 328is - 5 speed
1991 318is - 5 speed
1988 635csi - 5 speed
1988 325i convertible - 5 speed
1969 2002 with tii and 5 speed conversions
Old 01-21-2020, 01:50 PM

Mein Auto: 1996 BMW 840ci
Thank you Fredoin, that's good to know. Next time I'll look for a smaller shop like you suggested. By the way, the nail is in the "fixable" area of the tire , just like in the picture above from "Orient330iNYC". I never took the nail/screw out. Drove like that for 5 years now.
Old 01-21-2020, 05:32 PM
You Don't Need to Know

Mein Auto: '14 328xi Sport Line
Quote:
Try an indy shop, not a chain. My local mechanic did it without me even asking when my car was in for something else.

2014 328i xDrive | Black Sapphire / Black Red Dakota | Sport Line | Premium Pkg | Lighting Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | Driver Assistance | Nav | Sport Automatic Transmission
Old 01-21-2020, 08:03 PM

Mein Auto: bimmer
Quote:
Local Americastire(same as Discount Tire?) does patch RFT per manufacturer guidelines.
Old 01-21-2020, 08:41 PM
just copacetic!!!

Mein Auto: '16 428i GC
Have a very slow leak, about 1-2 psi a week. Brought it in to local Costco since thatís where I purchased the RF tires. Apparently, there was a small puncture but no evidence of a nail, but Costco said it needed to be replaced. We're going on a long road trip in a couple days so I decided best to replace than repair. The mechanic said the puncture was not in a location where a repair was advised, but who knows if he was giving me a line.
'19 230i MSpt AlpWhite
Old 01-22-2020, 01:33 PM

Mein Auto: 328ix sdn; M240ix cpe
Quote:
this is incorrect. Shops will only repair according to manufacturer's specifications. Manufacturers use to not permit RFT repairs (e.g. about 5 yrs ago when you got no from shops), but most manufacturers do allow a RFT repair under certain criteria.

If you've been running 5yrs with a nail/screw in your tire, you have simply been lucky that nothing has happened. Why people risk their lives and the lives of others on doing dumb things with four small but exteremely important patches of rubber for safe driving is beyond me.
Old 01-23-2020, 12:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 320xi
Quote:
Tire pressure warning today.
Checked tire within 2 miles and 6 minutes of warning.
24 psi. Left rear has a screw in the middle of the tread.
Tire refilled to 38 psi.
Recommended pressure 32 psi.

Tire shop too busy today.

With reduced driving, I could drive

5 miles today (Saturday).
Recheck tire/fill with air, drive 50 miles over 15 hours on Wednesday.
Recheck tire/fill with air, drive 30 miles on Thursday.

Would this plan work? I'd buy new summer tires in a week and not drive if it snows in the last half of January and all of February.

Alternate plan: fix tire on Monday or Tuesday. Hope they will patch a run flat. Buy new tires in the spring.
Just buy a Portable Air Compressor like i have an Audew lol..

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search