What is your favorite Wax and Sealant ? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > The Detail Department

The Detail Department
Detailing tips, tricks to keep your bimmer in showroom condition.

Old 02-06-2019, 01:12 PM
~ For a Better Tomorrow ~

Mein Auto: 430i xDrive Gran Coupe
What is your favorite Wax and Sealant ?

Hey guys,

Looking to see what brand waxes you all use on your BMW. Having a black BMW by the ocean... I have to wax often. I have been using the Meguire's. What do you guys use? and do you also use some sealant ?

Looking forward to your responses!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2019, 01:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328xi
Not much difference between waxes IMHO. I have used Meguiars' products most of the time. I just used P&S Bead Maker on my car, but will switch th Meguiars' Ceramic Wax hybrid in a few months. Currently my process is was and prep the surface and apply a sealant; not bothering with wax any more.
Old 02-06-2019, 01:46 PM

Ceramic Wax bing Cab + sealant combo?

May I ask why you are not bothering with wax anymore / Would love not to wax but living by the beach and having a black car....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2019, 02:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 530i Sport
Menzerna/Jescar PowerLok. No wax for me.
Old 02-06-2019, 02:09 PM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Doug's DIY Shinola.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:43 AM

Theres some "nano tech" bs "wax type" spray they have been advertising like crazy... Any thoughts?
Old 02-07-2019, 07:41 AM
racer wannabe

Mein Auto: '14 535iX '12 X5, '03 325
In your situation you need to stay away from waxes, they wonít last. You should think about investing in ceramic coating or a good polymer sealant like Menzerna Power Lock mentioned earlier. There a few good sealants out there and they are much cheaper than ceramic coatings but require reapplication every 4-6 months. I would also get Sonax Polymer Net Shield for touch ups. Iím also a fan of Optimum products, their No Rinse Wash and Wax is superb for quick washes, followed by quick application of Opti Seal.
Old 02-07-2019, 07:56 AM
Nuclear engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by emc9242 View Post
Theres some "nano tech" bs "wax type" spray they have been advertising like crazy... Any thoughts?
Sure. Without more specific information it is Dimethicone, more properly known as PolyDiMethylSiloxane - PDMS.

"Wax type," yep, it is made in the full range of viscosities, from 100 cst all the way to solid, love in silicone kitchen utensils.

I use Doug's DIY Shinola in a spray bottle full of distilled water, a dash of emulsifier and a soupÁon of 200 cst PDMS.

Eight ounces of polydimethylsiloxane cost ~US$10 from AmaXon.

https://www.amazon.com/MicroLubrol-S.../dp/B00ZM36ER8

In re "nano". PDMS is a silicon functional group stuck on the end of a plastic 'mer' (a bunch of mers make a polymer). Silicon (dioxide) is sand / glass and hard and scratchy. So SiO2 is blown through a plasma torch and fumed into nano-fine particles that are then chemically attached to the polymer functional ends.

In re "wax", PDMS is made in the full range of viscosities and when semi-solid is oily and waxy.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.

Last edited by Doug Huffman; 02-07-2019 at 08:04 AM.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Crazy View Post
In your situation you need to stay away from waxes, they wonít last. You should think about investing in ceramic coating or a good polymer sealant like Menzerna Power Lock mentioned earlier. There a few good sealants out there and they are much cheaper than ceramic coatings but require reapplication every 4-6 months. I would also get Sonax Polymer Net Shield for touch ups. Iím also a fan of Optimum products, their No Rinse Wash and Wax is superb for quick washes, followed by quick application of Opti Seal.
Thank you for your input! Being still a newbie in the detailing community, would you recommend the ceramic coating on my first try ?
Old 02-07-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
Doug's DIY Shinola.
Doug, how long does your shinola last? Have you tried to determine a reasonable estimate of longevity?
Old 02-07-2019, 11:49 AM
Nuclear engineer

What is a reasonable end of life criterion? Likely the last time I washed the X5 was in October as the freeze starts at about Halloween. It is still shiny when ever the temperature gets high enough for the snow dust and mud to melt off. The engine heat melts snow and ice to bead up on the hood still.

Do y'all test the magic-nano-ceramic chichi expensive carp?!

Old 02-07-2019, 12:13 PM
'17 X1 - Rooster Cruisin'

Mein Auto: '93 "Beemer" R100r
I'm a big fan of Meguiar's Ultimate Wax in the paste form but the liquid gets great reviews too. Another product that I use right after a wash is Duragloss Aquawax, should you not want to brew your own "shinola". I dilute it by about 20% and use it as a detail spray for touch-ups between washes.

It's not really yours until you void the warranty.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:25 PM
racer wannabe

Mein Auto: '14 535iX '12 X5, '03 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by emc9242 View Post
Thank you for your input! Being still a newbie in the detailing community, would you recommend the ceramic coating on my first try ?
I would let a pro detailer apply ceramic coating.
Old 02-08-2019, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Crazy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by southcoastguy View Post
Not much difference between waxes IMHO. I have used Meguiars' products most of the time. I just used P&S Bead Maker on my car, but will switch th Meguiars' Ceramic Wax hybrid in a few months. Currently my process is was and prep the surface and apply a sealant; not bothering with wax any more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4trains View Post
Menzerna/Jescar PowerLok. No wax for me.

I'm gearing more towards Menzerna/Jescar PowerLok, the more I read. This is incredible stuff, I did read though it will leave white residue on black plastic, have you guys ran into this with sealants?

I know to prep the surface I must polish, clay, then full clean (removing wax) then sealant; what about 4-6 months later when I am trying to re-apply the Jescar sealant, do I have to remove the sealant first, if so how ?

What is your guy's experience with Jescar on clear plastic such as head lights?

Thanks for all your input! it is highly valued
Old 02-08-2019, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
Sure. Without more specific information it is Dimethicone, more properly known as PolyDiMethylSiloxane - PDMS.

"Wax type," yep, it is made in the full range of viscosities, from 100 cst all the way to solid, love in silicone kitchen utensils.

I use Doug's DIY Shinola in a spray bottle full of distilled water, a dash of emulsifier and a soupÁon of 200 cst PDMS.

Eight ounces of polydimethylsiloxane cost ~US$10 from AmaXon.

https://www.amazon.com/MicroLubrol-S.../dp/B00ZM36ER8

In re "nano". PDMS is a silicon functional group stuck on the end of a plastic 'mer' (a bunch of mers make a polymer). Silicon (dioxide) is sand / glass and hard and scratchy. So SiO2 is blown through a plasma torch and fumed into nano-fine particles that are then chemically attached to the polymer functional ends.

In re "wax", PDMS is made in the full range of viscosities and when semi-solid is oily and waxy.
Hey Doug, as always, you are super technical and provide great scientific feedback! Thank you for your input ~ I am not comfortable yet to make my own Shinola, but would love to learn fully after I get passed the sealant "learning curve." Very interesting to know that the "nano" is named/made from the silicon type material. I would have never guessed... DIY version I'm sure is more suitable in price and quality, do you plan on selling any magical sauce ?
Old 02-08-2019, 06:29 AM

So I went ahead and purchased Mother's Clay kit and Jescar Power Lock. With my BMW being a 2018 model along with minimal swirl marks ~ I was planning on doing this process to apply my first coat of Power Lock WITHOUT polishing my car, let me know your thoughts! If I should really polish, which polish should I use? I am worried I will mess it up when the car is basically pretty new

1. Wash
2. Clay
3. IPA Wipe down (I hope this is enough after claying using a "wax type detailer")
4. Start Applying Power Lock one area at a time
5. Quik Detailer on top of the Power Lock (heard this was always a good finesse if I want)
Old 02-08-2019, 12:45 PM

That works. Make sure you use plenty of lube when claying. It does not take long at all, especially on fresh paint.
Old 02-08-2019, 01:11 PM

Mein Auto: 328xi
No reason to spray "quik detailer" on top of recently-applied sealant.
Old 02-10-2019, 02:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 M4
So many choices. My 2016 M4 has Wolfgang deep gloss sealant, topped with McKeeís fast wax. Cayman S has Duragloss 111 topped with Aquawax.
Old 02-10-2019, 05:58 PM
'17 X1 - Rooster Cruisin'

Mein Auto: '93 "Beemer" R100r
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles brenner View Post
So many choices. Cayman S has Duragloss 111 topped with Aquawax.
They make a wicked good car wash soap also:

It's not really yours until you void the warranty.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:28 PM

Mein Auto: 08 535XI,XHP/MHD
I like the Mothers clay, it is more of a mild clay.
Go light with it using the Showtime detailer to keep the areas wet. Up/down, then across.
Careful on the edges to prevent marring.

Do a test spot on the inside door jamb somewhere with the clay. Inspect it before and after with a LED flashlight for swirls/marring.
This alone will let you know whether to proceed.

A simple guarantee sealant is Collinite 845. If you hit the trim all you have to do is buff it off. Hell I used to do my sisters Outback trim/cladding with it. Apply and immediately buff off.
At less than 20 dollars a bottle it is a great deal. Easy on/ easy off .
Use it on your headlights to prevent yellowing.

Whatever you decide for a sealant remember ' thin is in ' when applying.

And when you get bored read the Autogeek forums or join and post your questions.

Here is an excellent doc. link put together by RippyD from Autogeek. These cats love testing.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...pJK0/htmlview#

As far as my favorite, coatings for durability, sealants for ease of use. I use different toppers for drying aids and boosting whatever is on the cars.
I use Collinite quite a bit. When it comes down to it, the stuff lasts better than most and looks good.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 M4
I have Collinite 845 on my F150 for all year round protection, put it on 2x a year (put it on thin, great links on autogeek on how to put it on)
Old 02-12-2019, 04:05 PM

Mein Auto: 18 X5M, retired 640i vert
Collinite Aeronautical Wax...would post picture if
I knew how.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:11 PM

Mein Auto: 05 325xi
I wash,clay,compund or polish as needed buy definitely polish then use Griots garage one stp sealant (it has a light polish in it and sealant) it is the white bottle. I let the seal cure for 24 to 48 hours and then put on the liquid poly wax. I ue theit dual action buffer. I have done nothing but wash and wipe down all winter and the shine is great.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:15 PM

Mein Auto: 05 325xi
I try most everything new and always come back to Griots or Meg's

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > The Detail Department
Today's Posts Search