Is there a 20" run-flat summer tire delete option? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X2 F39 (2017 - current)

X2 F39 (2017 - current)
Discuss the X2 with other BMW owners here.

Old 04-24-2018, 07:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW M3 6MT Coupe
Is there a 20" run-flat summer tire delete option?

I ordered my X2 with 20" summer tires, which are unfortunately run-flat tires. Does anyone know if there is a run-flat tire delete option? My dealer inquired but did not find any way to get non-run-flat 20" summer tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2018, 06:26 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X2
On my Spec sheet there was a code ZXA that says Remove all-season tires. So they do delete something when you get the 20" Rims.

I'm sure in a few months there will be more tire choices available out there. Hopefully before winter in your case.

I didn't even consider it an issue as it's always summer here in South Florida.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:15 AM

Mein Auto:
20" summer tires

I moved to Boulder recently and had a rear wheel drive car and needed an all wheel drive. Got the X2 m35i and had some options on it (including the 20" rims. No one told me they were summer tires and MORE importantly NO ONE KNEW that you can NOT get all season OR winter tires for this wheel. ! So now I am arguing with dealership. I won;t spend $4k + on a new wheel package so I can use this ALL WHEEL drive vehicle in the winters of Boulder , Colorado. The service Dept. Salesman not the G were aware of this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2019, 11:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW M3 6MT Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by tckarate View Post
I moved to Boulder recently and had a rear wheel drive car and needed an all wheel drive. Got the X2 m35i and had some options on it (including the 20" rims. No one told me they were summer tires and MORE importantly NO ONE KNEW that you can NOT get all season OR winter tires for this wheel. ! So now I am arguing with dealership. I won;t spend $4k + on a new wheel package so I can use this ALL WHEEL drive vehicle in the winters of Boulder , Colorado. The service Dept. Salesman not the G were aware of this
With all due respect, it's pretty clear the tires on the 20" wheels are run flat summer tires. I knew that going in. However, I was very surprised that there were no alternative tires available in the size that are on this vehicle. Bad on me for not checking more closely.

You should be getting a second set of 18" or 19"wheels and REAL WINTER TIRES. You should not be planning to drive your vehicle with all season tires, considering where you live.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:33 AM

Mein Auto:
The 20" rims were an afterthought, as the option I was looking for was the moonroof. The dealer then sent the sheet with all the options (most everyone you can get, including the 20". I didn't study that carefully. I assumed as most vehicles here come with all season. When I found out they were summer, I resolved that I would have to get winter tires. What NO ONE knew is that all season NOR winter tires are available for this wheel. That's the issue. You can not even PUT winter tires on this wheel. They don't exist.
Old 10-10-2019, 01:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tckarate View Post
The 20" rims were an afterthought, as the option I was looking for was the moonroof. The dealer then sent the sheet with all the options (most everyone you can get, including the 20". I didn't study that carefully. I assumed as most vehicles here come with all season. When I found out they were summer, I resolved that I would have to get winter tires. What NO ONE knew is that all season NOR winter tires are available for this wheel. That's the issue. You can not even PUT winter tires on this wheel. They don't exist.
Actually, that's pretty common to not offer winter tires in the larger wheel diameters.

There's a 18", all-season, non-run-flat option on the 28i X2 models.

Look on ShopBMWUSA.com. They sell winter tire & wheel packages at reasonable costs, and with a wide selection. Having a dedicated set of winter tires and wheels will make swapping over a DIY job you can do in your driveway in an hour. Otherwise, swapping tires on rims is about $100, twice a year, with the chance of scratching up your wheels, waiting in with everybody else getting winter tires put on or taken off, etc. At $200/year for tire swapping, keeping the car five or six years will pay for the second set of rims.

Last edited by Autoputzer; 10-10-2019 at 01:15 PM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X2 F39 (2017 - current)
Today's Posts Search