Driver assistance failed for the second time - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 G05 (2018 - Current)

X5 G05 (2018 - Current)
G05 BMW X5 produced between 2018 to Current. Discuss the G05 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 12-06-2018, 10:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2019 X5 xDrive40i
Driver assistance failed for the second time

FYI

Had this driver assistance fault fixed by the deal once along with the recall that was needed, now last week the driver assit error came back.

First dealer said they found a pinched wiring harness and a cable became unplugged behind the rear bumper.

Please let me know if any of you encounter this also.

See photos.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2410.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	830787Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2411.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	830789

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2019, 08:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 Dinan 550xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeljeffery View Post
FYI

Had this driver assistance fault fixed by the deal once along with the recall that was needed, now last week the driver assit error came back.

First dealer said they found a pinched wiring harness and a cable became unplugged behind the rear bumper.

See photos.

Attachment 830787Attachment 830789

can you share with me what the current status of this issue is? I'm considering a X5 and would like to know how this is going for you.
Old 01-27-2019, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmguy View Post
can you share with me what the current status of this issue is? I'm considering a X5 and would like to know how this is going for you.

I have been in Australia this past month, so I am just about to take my car into Beverly Hills BMW on Tuesday.
Iíll get back to you with what they find and need to repair.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
I have been in Australia this past month, so I am just about to take my car into Beverly Hills BMW on Tuesday.
Iíll get back to you with what they find and need to repair.

I look forward to hearing how this turns out for you. I had issues with the cruise control in the 550 I own, and BMW refused to correct it. They said that the issue was not having enough road signs so the system assumes a failed state, and turns off after something like 15 min, and this issue is ONLY present in western Canada.

The system works flawless in the city, and fails when I hit the hiway.

So, I have concerns about this happening again. So much so, That If I proceed with my purchase the dealer needs to agree to in writing a 100% functional ACC system or a refund of the car. They actually said they would agree to this, but until I get it in writing (on the bill of sale)Ö

My goals now are to see what problems people are having and if they get resolved. Your interest me significantly.
Old 02-08-2019, 04:28 PM

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT; i3 BEV
My experience with ACC on my i3 is that the system doesn't really care about the speed limit signs. The nav database has a lot of that information in it, and the camera can pick up that information, but I've never had it disengage because of failing to find one for a period. I have not tried it on an X5, so the logic may be different, but I think it is still driven by the camera and the database. The camera can override the database, or lack of an entry.
Old 02-08-2019, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post
My experience with ACC on my i3 is that the system doesn't really care about the speed limit signs. The nav database has a lot of that information in it, and the camera can pick up that information, but I've never had it disengage because of failing to find one for a period. I have not tried it on an X5, so the logic may be different, but I think it is still driven by the camera and the database. The camera can override the database, or lack of an entry.
This is good information to have. The version of ACC I have was before they made a hardware change, and it creates a False Positive for failed state. I don't have any traffic sign detection system. ACC system in my 2012 expects the radar signal to reflect off signs, and if it doesn't do that for a bit (15 min approx.) it created a special condition I think they called "Blind Sensor" where it assumes the lens is dirty and turns off. They tried a software fix that turned off the "camera dirty please clean it" message and replaced it with some other error message that makes less sense.

All this to say, everyone claims the system is fixed, but with the weird way in which this worked in Western Canada, I'm not taking chances. They tried 2 times to fix it and were told by Germany to stand down and no longer attempt to repair it as it was working as designed. And they were not taking any responsibility as its was isolated to special conditions of where I lived. (3/12 of Canada geography).

This time, I want to be smart about it, and get it in writing. I do considerable hiway driving, and it has to work. The Audi 2017 Q7 I have works flawless on the same roads (I now drive that out of town not the BMW). The Infiniti I had (2006 M35x) also worked perfect.

I think they have fixed it, but I want a backup plan just in case... If the Audi system works I suspect BMW does to, as I believe they all come from Bosh.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:33 PM

Car has been at the dealer for nearly 2 weeks now, they say they are waiting for a part to come from Germany.... :/

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 03-31-2019, 02:37 AM
Need it? Got it!

Mein Auto: The Girls Crazy
The overall reporting of that message for the driver assistance in the CID will not point to which ECU is responsible. There can be up to 6 or more ECUs that are involved in the driver assistance system.

You need to get a print out of all the error memories to isolate the problem. The pinched wire situation could have shorted out or corrupted the data in an ECU...depending..

E-Sys version 3.30, schaltplans, pinning-info, tool-set, available on request...
Old 04-02-2019, 10:35 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5, 2012
Quote:
FYI

See photos.

Attachment 830787Attachment 830789

happened to me as well. almost every time I would engage reverse gear - the message would come up. even that all functions - adaptive cruise control, self parking etc work properly. Took my vehicle to the dealership, it stayed there for a few days. They said that front camera, the one at the top of the windshield, needs to be replaced. It takes a while to get this part shipped to the dealership. So in meantime I took my vehicle back. The error was gone. One of the things that was done - is to remove rear bumper and check the sensors. Dealership still insisted on replacing the camera. They said they just suppressed the error. Eventually got the camera replaced. No errors so far

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 G05 (2018 - Current)
Today's Posts Search