Driver side door window track and replacement slider question - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 04-14-2019, 06:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1991 525i Auto
Driver side door window track and replacement slider question

So I replaced the regulator for the driver side window and I realize the issue is the front window track is pinching the window not allowing it to slide up freely, which causes strain on the motor and causes the regulator arms to pinch and snap out of place.....the reason the track is bent, is the door brake/hinge broke and bent the track.....I read that the track can be removed, has anyone done this?
Also, I ordered some reinforcement plates for the door so that I can repair the door hinge...I will try to post the repair..I hope it goes well. Has anyone had theirs problem?

BTW when I replaced the sliding clips that the regulator arms go into, they are very hard to move/slide..the old ones slide with ease, the new ones are pretty hard to get into the track....are they supposed to be snug or are they supposed to slide with ease?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by omarphi215; 04-14-2019 at 09:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2019, 07:54 PM

Mein Auto: '95 540i, '95 525it
Sure, there's a mounting screw in the window track near the bottom, under the felt. Pull the fabric out of the channel and you'll find it. The top of the track has a hook that keeps it in place, IIRC.

You have to remove the track to get good access to the door brake pocket so you can install the brake assembly. I've had a couple pockets break from metal fatigue ... one was not bad but the other was totally blown out. I ended up using two reinforcement plates on that door, one inside the door and one outside, sandwiching the torn metal. I used some longer-than-stock 6mm screws to get the brake secured in place and get the plates all torqued down.

Of course you can also weld a single reinforcement plate to the door if you're handy with a wire-feed welder. My "sandwich" method has worked well so far, though.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:00 AM

Thanks much...I found a page where the guy put rivers in the plate...I ordered a pair from koala motor sport...umm fix the door brake before the window to avoid the brake smashing the track again...this whole ordeal is A PITA but I learned so itís all good.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2019, 05:21 PM

So I put one of those plates onto the door to repair the door brake situation...however I need to tighten everything as I didnít have a right angle socket to get into the space ......my big issue right now is the damn window track which I canít get out..it seems I need to remove the window..Iím hoping I can salvage the track as it appears pretty mangled...I read a few threads and it one person said to removes the track, place it on the the window then replace it all at once. Anyone had to do this? Iíd hate to have to buy another door...that said, I think I need to remove the plate, clean up the rust a bit from the door, then fasten it all back up...all of this is a pain the booty

Old 04-22-2019, 08:08 PM

You don't need to remove the window, just get it out of the way. Raise it into fully closed position manually and tape it in place. I wouldn't bother trying to straighten a mangled guide rail, just get a replacement.

Those rails are available new for about $75, but find someone parting a car and you can get a used one for much less. Our go-to E34 partsmeister on this forum is Andy, username south26. If you PM him I bet he can find you a window guide rail for a decent price.

Koala is the inventor of those patch plates. They're a worthy shop. The part you got should work well for you.
Old 04-23-2019, 11:14 PM

Thanks for the reply..koala is a great company or at least has great customer service. I didnít realize but I missed a part out/bmw meet up not far from me at Betchel Bmw in Philly..they had whole doors for sale for only $30!!!! So Iím going to see them about a new rail, along with some other parts I need.

Old 04-25-2019, 06:14 PM

Driver side door window track and replacement slider question

Welp, I went ahead and bought a used door..color doesnít match and Iím probably gonna end up painting the whole car..I donít want to do that but a door with a properly working door brake, window and rust free is better than what I have going on....I also need to replace the bumper/valence (section that holds the fog lights which I donít have) I also snagged a headlight as my PS headlight is cracked....grabbed an alpine Bluetooth stereo, a replacement hazard light button and headlight switch.....lastly I grabbed a few or tools for the tool kit. 2 Wrenchís , spark plug remover and pliers....my grand total for everything was only $125 from Bechtel Bavarian in the Frankford section of Philly..on Orthodox street.

Last edited by omarphi215; 04-26-2019 at 06:07 AM.
Old 04-30-2019, 10:24 AM

I picked up the new door but itís not in great shape...Iím debating if I should try to take out the window track or get the whole door painted which require some work to get the dings out and some rust repair....the cheaper but harder option is to take out the track...the easier more expensive option is replacing the door.

Old 05-01-2019, 05:05 PM

You can probably get by without a working door brake if you have to. The hinges have stops built in to keep the door from swinging out to the point where it damages the fender. It's not an ideal situation, but...

That said, I assume the door you bought has the pocket for the door brake intact. Why not cut that out of the donor door and patch it into the door on your car?
Old 05-01-2019, 05:05 PM

You can probably get by without a working door brake if you have to. The hinges have stops built in to keep the door from swinging out to the point where it damages the fender. It's not an ideal situation, but...

That said, I assume the door you bought has the pocket for the door brake intact. Why not cut that out of the donor door and patch it into the door on your car?
Old 05-08-2019, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post

I thought of that but I have no clue how to do it, no tools to do it and no idea how much something like that would cost let alone find someone. I will ask around because Iíd rather keep my OG door.

The main issue however is the window track...Iím waiting for a good day to attempt to remove it from my current door and replace it with the one from the donor door.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)
Today's Posts Search