Run Flat Tire Warning? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X2 F39 (2017 - current)

X2 F39 (2017 - current)
Discuss the X2 with other BMW owners here.

Old 04-08-2019, 10:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2018 X2 xDrive28i
Run Flat Tire Warning?

My '18 X2 has run flat tires (I had reasons for opting for RFTs over regular, but that is not relevant to this thread). This is my first experience with RFTs and I am wondering: What happens when I do get a flat/puncture? Obviously, they are run flats, so they're not going to deflate like regular tires . So what kind of warning do I get? Does the TPMS indicate a problem? Is there some ancillary warning system of which I am not aware?

P.S. If there is another "bimmerfest" thread about identifying RFT flats/punctures, I apologize for the redundancy and ask that someone direct me to it.

Last edited by oreos; 04-08-2019 at 10:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2019, 11:42 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 4.8i E70 Sport
To keep it simple. The TPMS system will identify a loss of air pressure like it would a regular tire. The run flat will typically allow you to drive 50 mph to get to your destination. It is not designed for traveling hundreds of miles once pressure is lost but it will get you home or to work with your normal traveling. When in need, I have plugged RFTs to go further distances. RFTs can be professionally repaired with a patch like regular tires.
Old 04-17-2019, 06:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive28i
Just be aware that once you drive on the RFT will little or no air pressure, the tire is ruined. You cannot patch it and have to buy a new one. I suggest carrying a 12V tire air compressor. Most flats are from nails or screws so the leak is slow. You should be able to pump up the tire and get to a shop without destroying it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2019, 02:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X5 4.4/2013 650ix GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by oreos View Post
...This is my first experience with RFTs and I am wondering: What happens when I do get a flat/puncture? Obviously, they are run flats, so they're not going to deflate like regular tires . So what kind of warning do I get? Does the TPMS indicate a problem? Is there some ancillary warning system of which I am not aware? ... I apologize for the redundancy and ask that someone direct me to it.
The answer to your question is as close as your owners manual. You can also pull it up on the iDrive since it has its own version of the owners manual, too.

If looking in the paperback version (if you got one)...turn to the back and look under TPMS. If using iDrive, if you go to the TPMS screen that gives you the current reading of the TPMS...you should be able to click the iDrive controller to the owners manual about this topic.
Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 2013 F06 650ix Gran Coupe` (Black Sapphire) 1/13 mfg date
(SOLD)
97 740iL (Arctic Silver) <<~>> 99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=637911&d=1538398374&thumb=1&stc=1
Old 05-18-2019, 03:27 PM

Mein Auto: '17 540xDrive; '98 Z3 2.8
As has been previously posted RFTs will ORDINARILY behave just like a conventional tire when punctured ... they will deflate to a point that your TPMS will alert you to LOW PRESSURE (Green -> YELLOW -> RED). Unlike conventional tires you could continue driving at reduced speed for up to ~ 50 miles. HOWEVER, doing so will damage the tire's structure to the point that IT CANNOT BE SAFELY PATCHED & PUT BACK IN SERVICE. (That's one reason most BMW dealer service centers will NOT repair a punctured RFT. ... Since they have no true 100% way to determine if the tire structure has been compromised they don't want to assume the potential liability & $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$s that might be extracted by a blood-thirsty lawyer).

The advice to carry a 12VDC compressor is good advice. You could reinflate the tire to the recommended pressure to more safely get you to your dealer or approved tire center to have it examined and repaired or replaced. As an FYI, I've had a few punctures with my RFTs ... but fortunately had driven home and the next day when starting the car the TPMS alert went off :-( I have a small air compressor in my garage and in EACH case was able to inflate to the required pressure (+5 psi or so) and drove to my BMW Service center. I chose NOT to have my tire(s) repaired and instead replaced the punctured tire. It's from that experience I learned (AND EDUCATED MY BMW Dealer) that the OEM RFTs that came with my new BMWs were covered by the tire manufacturer's road hazard warranty. In 2 cases that covered 100% of the cost of replacing the tire (s) with new RFTs of the same mfg type AND rebalancing. In one case I had driven about 15,000mi and the replacement was prorated by about 50%. (NOT ALL OEM RFTs on new BMWs are covered by this warranty ... I know that mine were Continentals & Pirellis - they were covered ... I don't think Michelins are! DO YOUR HOMEWORK AND BE AN INFORMED CONSUMER}.

IF for some reason your RFT suffers a "blow out" ... it MAY NOT BE SAFE TO DRIVE IT AS NOTED ABOVE.

As for resistance to impact (pothole) damage ... of course ultra low profiles tires of any kind are more susceptible. But maintaining proper inflation of any tire (I usually run 3+ to 5+ psi above the recommended inflation pressure} might offer some protection from the tire sidewall smashing against the wheel edge when driving into a pothole. Makes for a harder ride but I've not experienced unusual tread wear patterns or excessive discomfort [and I have a lightly padded behind!] over the past XXX,XXX miles that I've driven .
"Seek and ye shall find" - start with your owner's manual!

Click on the MrRebates logo/link for cash back savings at on-line stores like Tirerack!Mr. Rebates

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
rft

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X2 F39 (2017 - current)
Today's Posts Search