ABS DSC Parking break trifecta fix for $3.50 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion of BMW's 4th generation E65/E66 7 Series flagship. The E65 generated much controversy, due to its radical styling and iDrive user difficulties. Nonetheless, the E65 broke records to become the best-selling 7-series iteration ever, especially after its 2005 facelift.

Old 02-03-2018, 12:21 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: E66 745LI
ABS DSC Parking break trifecta fix for $3.50

So as I'm looking for some help on locating the wiring for the outside ambient temperature sensor I thought I'd offer a simple fix at least in my case about the infamous trifecta warning lights. ABS, DSC and parking break failure. I took my car to the local BMW Indy and they quoted me with $7,000 worth of repairs. The most expensive was the ABS, DSC parking break trifecta coming in at 3500.00. Alternator bracket gasket came in 2nd with 1400.00 ($6 part all labor)followed with the lower front thrust rods. Anyway, long story short I picked it up the car with no repairs done. No, I'm not going to pay al that money for a car that costs a fraction of that quote. I decided to troubleshoot it myself. So I started with the usual, battery test , alternator test and fuses. Battery was perfect as I had just bought a new one last month. Alternator perfect as well no issues. So I open the glove box and look at the fuse shop box panel. First thing I notice is (2) fuses missing, one for ABS, DSC this lists (3) fuse locations; 17, 20 and 39. I checked fuse # 17 and 20, all good. However 39 was missing. It's a 50 amp fuse. I didn't have a spare replacement one on hand so I moved on. 2nd fuse I found missing was for transmission control. Transmission control lists (2) fuses; # 12 and 22. Fuse # 12 was in place and good. Fuse location 22 is a 15 amp and was missing. I had a spare in the garage so I put it in place. The next morning, I drove to the local parts store and bought the 50 amp fuse that was missing for the ABS DSC fuse location # 39. Costed $3.50, put it in, started the car and all the lights were still on. I was so sad that the lights were still on. As I left the parking lot driving home not even a minuet went by, it was like a miracle happened, the trifecta lights just went away. OMG I was so freaking happy, the car started driving so much better. I drove it around all day, of course babying it and I'm happy to report that lights haven't come back on. Hope this information helps someone else fix their trifecta. I'm not saying it will for you but it don't hurt to check. On a side note can the owners of any pre facelift e65-e66 check and see if you do have fuses in those locations mentioned above. I find it strange that mine were missing. I also want to add that those fuses were always missing even before my trifecta happened so I don't know if they are supposed to be in place or not. I know this because the 50 amp wasn't there for sure when I was checking fuses prior to the trifecta for a blown cigarette lighter fuse. Strange, as the car is a one owner with a dealer service history only. Car only has 108000 miles on it. So, if anyone can please still help me trace the wires to the outside ambient temperature sensor I would greatly appreciate it.

If someone can help me out as well. All I need is for someone to just follow the wiring from their outside ambient temperature up and tell me what harness it runs to or other location. My wires were completely torn off and I can't locate them to add the replacement sensor. Thanks.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Today's Posts Search