BMW 535i 2008 serpentine belt - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 07-25-2018, 03:00 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
BMW 535i 2008 serpentine belt

after 74,000 miles, my bmw serpentine belt broke and I think because there was an oil leak. I changed a new serpentine belt, and 2 months later I fixed the leak, and now the new serpentine belt is broke again at 80,000 miles . I just want to know what caused the problem again. is it the oil leak or maybe the tensioner has to be replaced?
(pulley bearings and tensioner dont shake and dont make any noise )
I attached an image showing the serpentine belt:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4694.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	809256   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4695.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	809258  

Last edited by farisbozo; 07-25-2018 at 03:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2018, 03:32 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
In the early days of the VW TDI, that uses a rubber timing belt that is a catastrophe when it breaks, we learned to use only new stock. That aging in the shelf counts against rubber lifetime.

Your serpentine belt failed the way it was supposed to, breaking into longitudinal sections happens incrementally, ideally slowly enough that regular inspections should reveal a failing belt before it fails. i suppose i should start looking at the belt when I lift the hood weekly for battery charging.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 07-25-2018, 06:01 AM

Mein Auto:
It is recommended to change both belt and tensioner around 75000. I changed both on my sons 2011 Z4 at 80000. If you change the tensioner make sure to get a new mounting bolt. The bolt is aluminum and is torque to yield.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2018, 06:26 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Today being Wednesday, I just came in from putting the CTEK 4.3 MUS charger on, checking the dipstick oil level (oil level sensor has long since failed high), checking coolant level, and inspecting the serpentine belt at ~75K miles. I looked on the smooth side for any cracking and the grooved side.

We X5 have an engine idler pulley bolt replacement safety recall (remedy unavailable) that requires access to the same area. So when that is done, I'll get the SERP belt changed.

The engine idler pulley bolt is also a TTY and is being replaced under recall for the SECOND time. I am sure for the close-is-good-enough mechanicing.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 07-25-2018, 08:00 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Oil dripping from the oil filter housing gasket onto the pulley system can cause the belt to slip as can oil leaking from the front main seal. The front main seal leaking could be a result of the belt getting pulled into the motor, damaging the seal.

A failing tensioner can also cause the belt to slip. The front lip of the belt should be sitting slightly behind the front lip of the tensioner pulley wheel. If the belt is walking off the tensioner, the tensioner is failing.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | Custom Polyurethane Shore A90 Tension Strut Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | UUC Front Sway Bar | Custom Heim Joint Rear Control Arms | Apex ARC-8 | Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec | Modified Dinan Cold Air Intake | aFe Oiled Drop-in Filter | Custom Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 07-25-2018, 08:26 AM

Mein Auto: '08 335xi E90 manual
Looks like your bigger problem has not been addressed yet. Has some of that spaghetti has made its way behind the crank pulley? It may already have been sucked through the front main seal. This is the #1 killer of N5* engines.
Old 07-25-2018, 09:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 328xi E91
Quote:
Originally Posted by farisbozo View Post
after 74,000 miles, my bmw serpentine belt broke and I think because there was an oil leak. I changed a new serpentine belt, and 2 months later I fixed the leak, and now the new serpentine belt is broke again at 80,000 miles . I just want to know what caused the problem again.
Your two photos (particularly the 2nd one) appear to show the front of the engine covered in oil (or coolant?) and the belt saturated with oil/coolant. If that is the case, then identify & FIX the oil/coolant leak BEFORE replacing the belt. Had you been adding oil or coolant BEFORE this latest belt failure?

As others have suggested, a failed belt may wrap around the crankshaft pulley and wedge itself between the front of the crankcase and the pulley, damaging the front crankshaft seal. A leaking Front Crankshaft seal will probably deposit oil all along the bottom of the engine due to air flow. In the instances I have seen of failing crankshaft seal from normal wear, the oil does NOT get deposited on the front of the engine ABOVE the level of the crank pulley.

You say "I fixed the leak" -- exactly WHERE was the leak that you fixed, and what procedure did you follow to fix that leak -- did you replace the OFHG (Oil Filter Housing Gasket)? Did you check periodically to see if there was still a leak in that area?

George
Old 07-25-2018, 10:06 AM

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
broken belt
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho....php?t=1231881
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...3&postcount=23
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1477111
Old 07-26-2018, 06:33 AM

Mein Auto: E90
^^It really depends - could be anything from replacing the engine, complete tear down, or as little as dropping the oil pan (still a big job on these cars) and cleaning out the debris. No one can tell you until someone starts digging into it.

I would be very careful on who I took it to for diagnosis.
Old 08-09-2018, 03:42 AM

here is a video that I took today showing the crank shaft seal.
does it look like the belt made its way to the engine ? is the seal still okay or it has to be changed? (THERE WAS NO BELTS PARTS BEHIND THE CRANK PULLEY. )
Old 08-09-2018, 05:15 AM

Mein Auto: E93 335i, somewhat mod

The thing is, this isn't unusual!

Another gift from BMW Engineering.

Belts in my Fords & Hondas? Just fine thanks, one Honda over 250k; truck over 500k mi. Take into consideration.

Last edited by CALWATERBOY TRE; 08-09-2018 at 05:16 AM.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:01 AM

Mein Auto: 325
you should have replaced the tensioner and pulley too at 75k.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:49 AM

The resolution/focus of the video makes it hard to be sure; some clear stills would be helpful. From what I can tell, it looks like you've gotten lucky. That being the case,
1. Thank your lucky stars
2. Fix all the oil leaks that have made such a mess there
3. Replace the belt, tensioner, and pulleys
4. Only then, drive the car.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:49 AM

The resolution/focus of the video makes it hard to be sure; some clear stills would be helpful. From what I can tell, it looks like you've gotten lucky. That being the case,
1. Thank your lucky stars
2. Fix all the oil leaks that have made such a mess there
3. Replace the belt, tensioner, and pulleys
4. Only then, drive the car.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:38 AM

Mein Auto: 325
yep, do NOT turn on the car before you do #3 above. You're super lucky that the engine didn't get destroyed.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:12 PM

should I change the crank shaft seal too ?

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search