BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Bought an 01 740iL

11K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  BMW 3-SERIES 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, after doing much searching I happened to find one that I posted pictures of but they were asking $ 10900 and well I looked at it quite a few times. Found that it wasn't as they said "Excellent condition" the moldings all around were pealing and like the woodgrain, comparments on the rear door were loose and crap so I didnt get it. I found a 2001 740iL pretty much the same damn thing but like this one was completely loaded from factory. Widescreen nav with parking sensors that the other didnt have.

Will be posting pictures when I pick it up Wednesday. I have two questions so please try to answer them for anyone who knows it:

1 Where can I get the navigation CD/DVD's for my car

2 If I get the MK4, what do it need to do the upgrade and better maps? I need the CD/DVD and MK4 DVD Reader Drive? I have the widescreen, needs dvd to show map.

#2 ·
good choice. you will love it.

as far as the nav/dvd stuff, bimmernav.com has some cool stuff. in fact i want to add a true dvd player function and places to plug my xbox into. just havent gotten around to it. but theres tons of things you can do. they do have aftermarket indash units that have the dvd player built in, but i dont know how those work with the stock system setup. ive found the aftermarket indash replacements on other websites. i believe navteq.com has updated disc for bmw also.

hope to see the pics soon!

#4 ·
i'd recommend taking it to two or three independant shops to take a look at it if you have worries. have someone that knows what to look for inspect the car for any signs of damage. why do you think it looks like the air bag was deployed. i know the cover on my passenger side it sort of loose, not tight fitting. i imagine from being in the sun.

#6 ·
Here is a CarFax Report:

Total Loss and Information:

No total loss reported to CARFAX.

Structural / Frame Damage: No structural / frame damage reported to CARFAX.

Airbag Deployment: No airbag deployment reported to CARFAX.

Odometer Rollback: No indication of an odometer rollback.

Accident / Damage:No accidents or damage reported to CARFAX.

Its nice cause it shows its maintanence reports with my local BMW Dealership, so like its been serviced too which is a plus. Now I think I'll run a AutoCheck Report and register for the Buy Back Garauntee with CarFax to be safe.

#7 ·
i dunno, but i've seen this same thing in other BMWs before also where the cover doesnt fit "perfectly" tight. its one of those things that come with letting it sit in the sun, at all. it would have to be garaged or in covered parking constantly. my theory is that most people with E38s work all day, leaving the car in the sun, which would cause the rubber or plastic to deform slightly. maybe i'll take a picture of mine so you can compare it. i doubt its anything major though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.