Known E34 Upgrades and Common E34 Myths - Page 7 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 06-13-2017, 03:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MySatinDoll View Post
stainless steel brake hose are good for durability. Which is why people tend to go that route. But honestly the tech behind it has gone more toward fashion than performance. Do I have them on my e38. Yup. Do I honestly notice the difference. Not really.

Sent from my SM-S902L using Bimmerfest mobile app
I am OK with, but one of the claims someone is making is the are less durable. Also, the improvement over stock will depend on how old or worn the ones on your car are. If you replaced lines on a new car, you should not notice any difference in normal braking, the more miles / age, the more you will notice + under very hard braking there is even more difference, but when you are doing that, you are usually paying more attention to not hitting something then "how's my peddle feel" LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2017, 03:25 PM
I'm from NJ. So What!?!

Mein Auto: What they Drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_507_4ME View Post
I am OK with, but one of the claims someone is making is the are less durable. Also, the improvement over stock will depend on how old or worn the ones on your car are. If you replaced lines on a new car, you should not notice any difference in normal braking, the more miles / age, the more you will notice + under very hard braking there is even more difference, but when you are doing that, you are usually paying more attention to not hitting something then "how's my peddle feel" LOL
Well it's not that they are less durable. Its more or less that they have very little give which is one of the design points of brake hose. To be able to flex, expand or contract. SS brake hose does not flex expand or contract like rubber hoses. This is the key selling point of them but is that what you want? In most cases of hard braking no. However where they tend to shine is the abrasive durability. Again I have them. I had them on my e34. Performance wise I seen no difference in either. But honestly the longevity of both in comparison is where my interest would be more focused.

86 BMW 325es...Sold,
92 BMW 535i...Totalled
89 BMW 535i aka "Zaraki"... Totalled,
90 BMW 325i m60 swap... Sold for a friend,
95 e34 525 5 spd S52 Swap aka "Grau"...Sold,
01 Cosmoschwartz on Dove e38 740i msport... Sold,
01 Titan Silver on Schwartz e38 740i Msport Aka "Lucky Lilly... PROJECT KILLER WHALE
00 Chevy 4wd s10 BLazer LT aka "El Squeeky"... Sold
03 E53 x5 4.6is...Daily
Old 06-13-2017, 04:54 PM
Old Guy

Mein Auto: 55" Gravity Ed Economy
Well, lets be honest. OEM hoses last 20-25 years. Do you really believe ss lines will last 25 years?
Or even if you don't subscribe to my theory that you should change them biannually, would you run them more than 5 years knowing that the ss braids themselves are detrimental to their own durability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2017, 06:17 PM

I must agree, I am out numbered. Please remove one of your headlights and install some tubing to your air box. Remove that stock vanos cam and install a full race cam with 300+ degree duration, junk those S/S OEM headers and get a set of Hooker pipes, then put a chip in and see how long your motor can take that increased RPM end limit I was just trying to give Monsignor some credit for getting at least one thing right, but I guess you all have proved even on that small point about S/S lines, he was still wrong. I knew that, but felt he could try to defend against just one poster, so thanks for the help, sorry Monsignor, I guess you got it all wrong
Old 06-13-2017, 06:48 PM
I'm from NJ. So What!?!

What a defeating attitude. At the end of the day. Its your car, your vision, your passion. That is the core of the enthusiast community. As far as monsignor is concerned he's a good friend to the community and has helped many people with his knowledge base. People will always disagree on what's right and wrong when it comes to modifying and or maintaining their cars. That's just how it is. Again I have SS brake hose. Hell I even wrote an article about on the FCPEURO blog sometime ago. I just prefer to have tried and tested knowledge. Onizukachan is a long time veteran when it comes to the e34 chassis. To be honest he and I even met in a debate on car audio almost a decade ago. At the time both of us were on different ends of the topic. However that never changed the mutual respect nor our love of the brand. So cool out with the sarcasm. Its ok not to agree.

86 BMW 325es...Sold,
92 BMW 535i...Totalled
01 Titan Silver on Schwartz e38 740i Msport Aka "Lucky Lilly... PROJECT KILLER WHALE
03 E53 x5 4.6is...Daily
Old 06-13-2017, 08:44 PM

Quote:
What a defeating attitude. At the end of the day. Its your car, your vision, your passion. That is the core of the enthusiast community. As far as monsignor is concerned he's a good friend to the community and has helped many people with his knowledge base. People will always disagree on what's right and wrong when it comes to modifying and or maintaining their cars. That's just how it is. Again I have SS brake hose. Hell I even wrote an article about on the FCPEURO blog sometime ago. I just prefer to have tried and tested knowledge. Onizukachan is a long time veteran when it comes to the e34 chassis. To be honest he and I even met in a debate on car audio almost a decade ago. At the time both of us were on different ends of the topic. However that never changed the mutual respect nor our love of the brand. So cool out with the sarcasm. Its ok not to agree.

Hey, I am glad to hear of your bro-mance with your new found friend, and yes, opinions very on many things. It never stops impressing me on how BMW owners / posters think they know more then the very engineers who build these cars. You always entertain me, thanks for that. Don't stop believing in your selves, I love the arrogant's, thanks
Old 06-13-2017, 09:04 PM

It is amazing that I can post an opinion, back it up with many expert opinion's, try to inform other BMW owners of something that might help them, and then get attacked by so many for no reason, then be told to chill out for having my own opinion on a product or upgrade. What is up with that?
Old 06-13-2017, 09:07 PM
I'm from NJ. So What!?!

Quote:
Hey, I am glad to hear of your bro-mance with your new found friend, and yes, opinions very on many things. It never stops impressing me on how BMW owners / posters think they know more then the very engineers who build these cars. You always entertain me, thanks for that. Don't stop believing in your selves, I love the arrogant's, thanks
Wtf? Look bro. My response was to bring it all down a notch and keep things for information purposes only. For there's no reason to catch feelings over comments made online. But since you opened the door... yes most diy bmw enthusiasts know quite a bit about our cars. If that wasn't the case you'd never see boosted bmws, remanufactured specialty parts from tuners independent and/or licensed, engine management systems, ECU reprogramming and tuning, full vehicle modification and restoration retrofitments not introduced from factory, solutions for issues which were never addressed from factory and the list goes on. So your statement has zero legs to stand on. Now, that said if you don't agree with what's stated you can be humble and agree to disagree. For this isn't bf.c where drama is alive and very aggressive. But the passion exhibited on both sites is very much the same. I'd suggest we end this on a good note to say that its up to you and/or the reader to decide which is best for their cars. As well combine manufacturers R&D with enthusiast reviews of those who attempt to utilize the products before making decisions.

86 BMW 325es...Sold,
92 BMW 535i...Totalled
03 E53 x5 4.6is...Daily
Old 06-13-2017, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Wtf? Look bro. My response was to bring it all down a notch and keep things for information purposes only. For there's no reason to catch feelings over comments made online. But since you opened the door... yes most diy bmw enthusiasts know quite a bit about our cars. If that wasn't the case you'd never see boosted bmws, remanufactured specialty parts from tuners independent and/or licensed, engine management systems, ECU reprogramming and tuning, full vehicle modification and restoration retrofitments not introduced from factory, solutions for issues which were never addressed from factory and the list goes on. So your statement has zero legs to stand on. Now, that said if you don't agree with what's stated you can be humble and agree to disagree. For this isn't bf.c where drama is alive and very aggressive. But the passion exhibited on both sites is very much the same. I'd suggest we end this on a good note to say that its up to you and/or the reader to decide which is best for their cars. As well combine manufacturers R&D with enthusiast reviews of those who attempt to utilize the products before making decisions.

Please, take your med's, get your blood pressure back to a normal level, there is no reason to get that upset over a forum post. I mean that, my sister just had a stroke and is in the hospital. I truly don't want you to injure your health over a silly post. Yes, I try to make them fun some times, but I never want it to hurt a fellow man. Just relax, sit back and I will concede you are the better man, you know much more about BMW's and whatever matters, you win, but please, and I mean this, relax, your health matters more to me then winning a forum argument, I cry UNCLE, you win, now please relax. God bless, you win
Old 06-13-2017, 09:25 PM
I'm from NJ. So What!?!

Quote:
It is amazing that I can post an opinion, back it up with many expert opinion's, try to inform other BMW owners of something that might help them, and then get attacked by so many for no reason, then be told to chill out for having my own opinion on a product or upgrade. What is up with that?
Ok I'll answer. Unless your driving a vehicle which requires more force to stop it. SS brake hose is not a necessity and will not be much of an improvement over stock brake hose.

For in the end it will only become jewerly. Yes it serves a purpose when integrated with a higher performance vehicle or a heavily modified car. But not on a bone stock e34. Especially when that money can be place in other areas such as suspension work or cosmetic items.

86 BMW 325es...Sold,
92 BMW 535i...Totalled
03 E53 x5 4.6is...Daily
Old 06-13-2017, 09:32 PM
I'm from NJ. So What!?!

Quote:
Please, take your med's, get your blood pressure back to a normal level, there is no reason to get that upset over a forum post. I mean that, my sister just had a stroke and is in the hospital. I truly don't want you to injure your health over a silly post. Yes, I try to make them fun some times, but I never want it to hurt a fellow man. Just relax, sit back and I will concede you are the better man, you know much more about BMW's and whatever matters, you win, but please, and I mean this, relax, your health matters more to me then winning a forum argument, I cry UNCLE, you win, now please relax. God bless, you win
what are you talking about? Really. Are you high?. I mean at first I thought this was a debate. Then YOU catch feelings. Now all of a sudden it me with the issue. You know what. You're the reason people act the way they do on forums. Its pathetic. Is your life that dull? I jumped to bring some peace to it all and you try that elementary school crap. Nah. Time for you to take a time out buddy.

86 BMW 325es...Sold,
92 BMW 535i...Totalled
03 E53 x5 4.6is...Daily
Old 06-13-2017, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Ok I'll answer. Unless your driving a vehicle which requires more force to stop it. SS brake hose is not a necessity and will not be much of an improvement over stock brake hose.

For in the end it will only become jewerly. Yes it serves a purpose when integrated with a higher performance vehicle or a heavily modified car. But not on a bone stock e34. Especially when that money can be place in other areas such as suspension work or cosmetic items.

Once again, you are correct, you win, please calm down, I am wrong, S/S brake lines are of no value, just pretty. All I want is for you to relax and know you have won. The most important thing is you have shown everyone what they should do with their brake lines. Your experience has helped many. No need to stay upset, I conceded you know more then I ever will. You win, but still need to relax, I am just an E34 poster, I don't know much and I apologize if I mislead any other E34 owners, I am sorry, just trying to help.
Old 06-13-2017, 09:51 PM
Old Guy

Quote:
It never stops impressing me on how BMW owners / posters think they know more then the very engineers who build these cars.
Funny you say that, then try to refute the downsides I explicitly and stoptech cautiously indicate there are with SS brake lines.

Everyone do what they want, I just don't want some unknowing teen coming here, reading this, sticking a set of ss lines on his car of any make or model and having an accident when they fail a couple of years later because he thought they were safer than OEM and didn't need to be inspected for wear and possibly changed proactively.

If I had a track car I'd run ss lines on it, because it would be a plaything often checked and rarely driven, but never never on my get in and drive daily kiddiewagen.

Last edited by Onizukachan; 06-13-2017 at 09:52 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 09:52 PM
I'm from NJ. So What!?!

Quote:
Once again, you are correct, you win, please calm down, I am wrong, S/S brake lines are of no value, just pretty. All I want is for you to relax and know you have won. The most important thing is you have shown everyone what they should do with their brake lines. Your experience has helped many. No need to stay upset, I conceded you know more then I ever will. You win, but still need to relax, I am just an E34 poster, I don't know much and I apologize if I mislead any other E34 owners, I am sorry, just trying to help.
Listen. You are misinformed. I'm not upset whatsoever. I was here to help and I always encourage people to give their thoughts and opinions. I also try to keep the peace. Its when it's taken out of context then respond sarcastically that my approach becomes more firm.

For the last time before the mods respond if they deem necessary. We all are different. We agree and disagree on many topics here. There are also those who read this who are not enthusiasts or wanting to be who will take information given as the holy grail. This is the context of being apart of a internet Forum which many people do not understand or tend to forget. What I am saying to you is your research is valid. But in the case of the e34 it would be best to find real world reviews. Again nothing wrong with using SS brake hose on your car. Its been done. But for the cost of it you can use oem hose and save that money for maintenance and performance items that offer more of an improvement.

86 BMW 325es...Sold,
92 BMW 535i...Totalled
03 E53 x5 4.6is...Daily
Old 06-13-2017, 09:55 PM

Quote:
what are you talking about? Really. Are you high?. I mean at first I thought this was a debate. Then YOU catch feelings. Now all of a sudden it me with the issue. You know what. You're the reason people act the way they do on forums. Its pathetic. Is your life that dull? I jumped to bring some peace to it all and you try that elementary school crap. Nah. Time for you to take a time out buddy.

You still seem upset over nothing. I didn't mean anything by the med comment, I take them for my blood pressure, please don't judge me because of that, I have too. I could see you were not having fun and the conversation was upsetting you. sometimes posters just back and forth in fun, but it seemed you were getting upset over brake lines. I didn't want you to get too upset over something so unimportant.

I meant it that my sister just went to the hospital this week due to a stroke, it is not funny, and it would not be funny if our conversation caused you any harm. So please except, I apologize for getting you upset, it is just a forum and you matter a lot more then brake lines, Truly God bless you and all you care about.
Old 06-13-2017, 09:58 PM
I'm from NJ. So What!?!

Quote:
You still seem upset over nothing. I didn't mean anything by the med comment, I take them for my blood pressure, please don't judge me because of that, I have too. I could see you were not having fun and the conversation was upsetting you. sometimes posters just back and forth in fun, but it seemed you were getting upset over brake lines. I didn't want you to get too upset over something so unimportant.

I meant it that my sister just went to the hospital this week due to a stroke, it is not funny, and it would not be funny if our conversation caused you any harm. So please except, I apologize for getting you upset, it is just a forum and you matter a lot more then brake lines, Truly God bless you and all you care about.
Forget it I'm done. This is getting retarded. No one has shown any emotion but you. Sarcastically. The bad part now is I can not determine if your serious or still at it.

That said carry on I'm out.

86 BMW 325es...Sold,
92 BMW 535i...Totalled
03 E53 x5 4.6is...Daily
Old 06-13-2017, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Forget it I'm done. This is getting retarded. No one has shown any emotion but you. Sarcastically. The bad part now is I can not determine if your serious or still at it.

That said carry on I'm out.

No, I don't joke about your health or what happened this week to my sister, no sarcastic thing meant, and I never joke about God or wishing one well, God bless you and all you care about. This is just a forum, we are real people, thanks.
Old 06-13-2017, 11:29 PM
Old Guy

Reminds me of bf.c

Cheers amd beers mate.
Old 06-14-2017, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizukachan View Post
Reminds me of bf.c

Cheers amd beers mate.
Cheers and beers to all, this is supposed to be fun as well as informative. I don't mean any harm to any. I do defend my position on what I recommend to others from what I have learned, and I learn a lot form others when they defended their opinion. I hope we all gain from our differences and share the good stuff we know and enjoy the good stuff others share.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:03 PM

Mein Auto: 1989 BMW 535i Sedan
Quote:
First things first. Always remember.

Maintenance before performance. If you can make a maintenance upgrade that's good too.

Can't stress that enough. Easiest and best bang for your buck is a performance chip.
EAT chips or Comforti chips are favored for the m30b35.

Going with a sportier suspension wouldn't hurt either.
Koni adjustable struts and shocks are becoming more favored than the traditional Bilstein upgrade.
For Bilstein's tend to be harsh up front. As well, Konis are cheaper and can be adjusted to suit the drivers ideal ride.

Obviously the ultimate combination of the two are coilovers.
Nex, BC, KIDO, K-Sport, Ground Control, Lowtec, KW, Bilstein, Eibachall make coilovers for the e34 chassis.
The majority of coilover systems will need some type of strut modification to you front strut housings.
Some companies offer this modification service for a fee.
Some don't offer to do the work. Meaning you or a shop will have to perform the modification.

Larger swaybars and upgraded suspension bushings are decent upgrades.
BMW offers upgraded swaybars.
Racing Dynamics makes a set which offers the highest size and balance.
Bushings (spherical, Poly, hybrid) are good maintenance upgrades. Especially on the rear subframe.
Two such bushing manufacturers are Moosehead Engineering (spherical),Powerflex (polyurethane),

Braking is area where the e34 can upgrade without complete aftermarket setups.
The biggest calipers we can use without going aftermarket are e31 850i 4 piston or E24 4 piston front calipers and 540 rear calipers.
The bias matches up well.
It may require a change in your brake booster system but for the most part it is plug and play.

We can also use brembo front calipers from a Porsche 996 non turbo with e36 aftermarket brackets.
However the brackets IIRC will need to be flipped for it to work properly.

From there you can go in any direction. NA or FI

Miller performance cars makes a MAF and chip which will give you modest gains in RWHP, Torque, and help you m30 breath better.
But it will set you back about 700 bucks (depending on desired goal)

You can also go with a standalone system like DTA,AEM, VEMS or Megasquirt.
Most who go this route are looking for Force induction gains or have some type of NA swap.

Engine swaps are not as common for m30 owners as for m20 or m50 owners.
The most common M30 swap is a auto to manual swap.
There are plenty out there to research.

Cams are a good performance upgrade which will give nice gains.
However you'll achieve more dramatic change intergrating a well built turbo system. Word of advise on this.

Stay away from EBAY turbo systems.

The ebay turbochargers themselves usually fail and/or don't meet expectations.
However the intercooler systems, piping,and silicone couplers are ok to utilize.
Just shop carefully.

There are plenty of options out there for Turbo kits.
TCD or TurboCharging Dynamics is the favored.
They offer the best options for turnkey M30 turbo kits.
However if yu can also a setup together from a e23 or e32 745 turbo car.
These aren't the most efficient kits but they work with success.
You can pretty much get everything you need rather cheap and have your car running boost after some small changes.

Lastly, if your looking for hp gains.
Have a goal, do your research, and make a realistic budget for your build.
Most FI setups will set you back at least 2500.
My setup tally is currently at 2134 with a few little things needed to be done.

Good luck
I know this is an old post but man this is good information. I just got my 89 not too long ago so for now I am in the maintenance and repair stage. Are those Comforti chips safe for an engine with 280k miles? I don't want to be pushing anything too much. Right now I am trying to nurse this car back to health.
  • 2013 Hyundai Elantra "Midnight" (30k Miles) - TOTALED
  • 1984 Toyota Celica GTS (270k Miles) - SOLD
  • 1998 Ford Crown Victoria (143k Miles) - SOLD
Old 01-25-2018, 11:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 335xi Coupe
Old 07-07-2018, 11:34 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by he92 View Post
Incredibly clean!

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
bmw tuning, e34, e34 tuning, m50 upgrades, upgrades

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)
Today's Posts Search