New member looking to buy used 4 series - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 03-22-2020, 04:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW 330 Convertible
New member looking to buy used 4 series

Hello, I'm new here, I'm looking at purchasing a 2016 428 convertible. It has about 33000 miles. It's loaded with the cold weather package, technology package, comfort package, upgraded sound system, M sport package. No accidents or frame damage. They are asking $29500. Do you think this is a good deal?

Sent from my SM-T867V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2020, 08:32 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 Glacier Silver 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dthogey View Post
Hello, I'm new here, I'm looking at purchasing a 2016 428 convertible. It has about 33000 miles. It's loaded with the cold weather package, technology package, comfort package, upgraded sound system, M sport package. No accidents or frame damage. They are asking $29500. Do you think this is a good deal?

Price the car on Edmunds for your location and use your knowledge of condition.
Have you looked at the Carfax report? Is this CPO from a dealer? If not consider having a pre-purchase inspection done by a good BMW mechanic.
Old 03-22-2020, 09:41 AM

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2020, 11:08 AM

Mein Auto: 435i Grand Coupe
Bad deal if out of warranty

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest
Old 03-23-2020, 01:57 PM

It does have the balance of the BMW warranty. In looking at cars on line the price seems reasonable, when checking Kelley Blue Book the price seems like its on their high end.

Old 03-23-2020, 03:14 PM
Spelling Impaired

Mein Auto: '16 435i
Since your in Michigan is this car AWD? iX's might drive a higher price point too as original price is higher than a RWD car. Not sure that translates to the used market.
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt

Drop by and see what is new at my blog: The Car Geek
Old 03-23-2020, 03:55 PM

I know these packages have added a lot of money to the price. For instance I don't care about the m package and it was about a $2300 option

Old 03-24-2020, 01:09 AM

Mein Auto:
Ditto on checking if you have warranty left over. Have you test driven it yet? Did you see if the dealer can give you a better price as it does seem high for the condition and mileage.

Did you verify yourself the numbers of owners it had and the services done on it? I used vehiclecheckpro.com to pull up that information when I bought my 3 series. Only bought it because it had an extensive service record and it validated that he was the original owner. Last thing would be recommended to spend the little bit to get a full BMW inspection before making the final commitment.
Old 03-24-2020, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyntheman View Post
Ditto on checking if you have warranty left over. Have you test driven it yet? Did you see if the dealer can give you a better price as it does seem high for the condition and mileage.

Did you verify yourself the numbers of owners it had and the services done on it? I used vehiclecheckpro.com to pull up that information when I bought my 3 series. Only bought it because it had an extensive service record and it validated that he was the original owner. Last thing would be recommended to spend the little bit to get a full BMW inspection before making the final commitment.
I verified as much as I could with carfax. It only had one owner. Looks like all the service was done but the dealer bought it from an auction. It does have the balance of the BMW warranty. I have not seen it or test drove it as the vehicle is in Indiana and I am in Michigan. Also it only has 1 key fob. They will not budge from the price. They also want to add on a $250 title fee!

Old 03-24-2020, 06:23 AM

Mein Auto:
Price seems rather high. Current state of affairs being what they are, I'd wait and see what else pops up. Dealers are already hurting and it will get worse, so let them stand their ground on price. I have a feeling there will quite a few more used cars on the market with the economic upheavals we're experiencing.

Last edited by bimmaz; 03-24-2020 at 07:18 AM.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 Glacier Silver 328i
You absolutely need a pre-purchase inspection by a good BMW mechanic. With that in hand you could then knowledgeably negotiate for a lower price.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:28 AM

Mein Auto: Toyota Prius

I think itís high but Iím not certain.

I bought a similar car a few years ago for $42K, but it was a 2014 435 (bigger engine) with 14,000 miles. It didnít have the MSport package, but for sure the 6-cylinder ďplainĒ package is a better performing car than the 4-cylinder MSport. My car has the cold weather, Harman Kardon and Tech package (heads up display, but not the 3D parking thing). It has heaters in the seat backs at the neck. Really yummy when itís cold.

I test drove a 428 convertible and the added 800-ish pounds of the convertible top makes for a fairly sluggish 4-cylinder car. Not that everyone cares, of course.

Iíll also point out that my car was a CPO, which means the dealer checked it out and it had to meet strict criteria and a BMW CPO warranty was added.

The unfortunate reality of BMWís is that they depreciate tremendously, because they start out very expensive and they become very expensive to maintain. A car with a convertible hard top has added expensive maintenance costs down the road.

On the plus side, the cold weather package is AWESOME. I strongly encourage you to enter the last seven digits of the VIN into www.bimmer.work to get a thorough list of the carís features. It can be very confusing so itís best to get a precise list from them (itís free).

If, after that, you feel that you really like this car, I would recommend that you have a well-respected independent BMW shop give it a pre-purchase inspection, and then negotiate a lower price.

Never ever fall in love with a particular car; thereís always another one. They make these things in factories all day long ;-)

Just pull up a website full of used BMW listings when youíre in front of them to show them you know what these things go for. They bought the car at auction and that means it wasnít a CPO-worthy lease return. You may want to ask them why itís not CPO-worthy.

Last edited by Rebound; 03-25-2020 at 10:35 AM.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:15 PM

Thanks again for the advice

Old 03-25-2020, 07:14 PM

Mein Auto: Toyota Prius

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthogey View Post
Thanks again for the advice

Youíre welcome!
Five cents, please!
Old 03-30-2020, 12:47 PM

Mein Auto: 420d
Never ever fall in love with a particular car; thereís always another one. They make these things in factories all day long ;-)

Wise words indeed!
Old Today, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfootlambert View Post

Wise words indeed!
That's for sure, there are lots of these cars out there. They sell seem to have a higher price with the options that this car has. They came down about $500.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search