New Coolant system components - whatcha think? - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 07-06-2018, 04:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 Z3 2.5(2.3 Trim)
Thanks to Blacklane I'm done for now. The temp switch in my hose tee didn't work. I have another one but it's 3/8 thread and the hole in the tee is 1/8. The tees are cheap so I'll buy another and tap it for 3/8 because I do like the idea of an independent system for the second fan. However, I followed Blacklane's post and hooked up the lead to the low temp wire on the factory radiator temp switch and now my electric fan comes on whenever the low speed fan does as well as whenever you use the A/C. I don't mind this because when you use A/C at low speed driving or at a stop I notice the air isn't quite a cold. Maybe the extra flow from the second fan will keep things cooler. Also if the stock fan fails the puller fan will work so long as the temp switch does.

I mounted a manual override switch to the fan so I can use it whenever the car is on but I may ditch it as I don't see a big need for it once I'm secure with how things are working. It is good to know that all the pulleys, tensioners and coolant parts are new. I had been worried that something might suddenly go, but now I'm ready for a long cross country! I don't notice any increase in engine performance......maybe it seems a little smoother without the mechanical fan...but that could just be me. I had bled the system before but now I notice the heat knob throws warm air in the mid position where before it was 90 percent of the way and went from cold to HOT. Hopefully the Stewart pump lasts longer and is as good as advertised. Here's some pics.

I used nylon fasteners and SPAL brackets. The fan has the corresponding rubber shroud which also disperses the pressure on the fins

The Mishimoto is quite a bit thicker and with the thinline fan there's only about an inch+ of clearance.

Need to neaten up and cover the wires but you can see the routing.

Last edited by mjagg; 07-06-2018 at 08:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2018, 09:27 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 Z3 Roadster
It looks like a truly satisfying mod. It should provide you with a lot of peace-of-mind for a long time.

And thanks for posting some final thoughts. So many threads here start with a problem, receive lots of advice, but never post a conclusion, so nobody knows what was successful and what was a failure.

I have personally submitted over 2,000 posts here, I know Vintage42 has over 4,000 posts, and there are many others sharing their knowledge as well. Nearly every one of those posts are intended to be helpful and informative, yet hardly anyone posts that they achieved success due to the information they got here.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:35 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 Z3 Roadster
MJAGG, looks good. Is you radiator a 3 or 2 pass? I finished mine yesterday, but haven't got my stuff together to post.
Old 07-08-2018, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklane View Post
It looks like a truly satisfying mod. It should provide you with a lot of peace-of-mind for a long time.

And thanks for posting some final thoughts. So many threads here start with a problem, receive lots of advice, but never post a conclusion, so nobody knows what was successful and what was a failure.

I have personally submitted over 2,000 posts here, I know Vintage42 has over 4,000 posts, and there are many others sharing their knowledge as well. Nearly every one of those posts are intended to be helpful and informative, yet hardly anyone posts that they achieved success due to the information they got here.
It's thanks to guys like you and Vintage42 that an average Joe like me can take on a job like this and feel fairly competent that I can get it done so thanks to you guys! These forums are really such an amazing place to learn all sorts of things about our Zs we would otherwise have a tough time learning!
Old 07-08-2018, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smayo964 View Post
MJAGG, looks good. Is you radiator a 3 or 2 pass? I finished mine yesterday, but haven't got my stuff together to post.
smayo964 - it's a three row. Even the thin line fan barely had clearance. It holds quite a bit more coolant as well. Congrats on your completion! It's a great feeling to have a new, solid system in place isn't it.
Old 07-08-2018, 04:22 PM

Well, here it is. Ditto on the 3-row and minimal clearance. LOL I changed the water pump, alternator (under warranty and it was beginning to annoy me), belts, expansion tank, fan/pulley, and all the hoses except for the water pipes. Once I realized the minimal remaining gap to the water pump, I pulled the old race car days and modified the new fan for fit. The fan photos show the new one modified against the old.

I have about 1/2in clearance now to the radiator and it's still pumping air. I will fab a small shroud probably next weekend. The issue I ran into is with the air filter and top radiator hose and radiator vent hose to the expansion tank.

Well, one trip to Lowe's for a 45deg 3in street elbow (modified), a rubber connector, and (2) hose clamps, the air cleaner issue is solved. I had to rerun my vent line over the intake to clean up the routing. I did put another larger hose around the vent for protection, insulation, etc. I'll probably end up modifying my air filter box to shield out the top radiator hose and vent line.

A couple more suspension tweaks in the front and I'll call it quits....for now. LOL
Old 07-08-2018, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smayo964 View Post
Well, here it is. Ditto on the 3-row and minimal clearance. LOL I changed the water pump, alternator (under warranty and it was beginning to annoy me), belts, expansion tank, fan/pulley, and all the hoses except for the water pipes. Once I realized the minimal remaining gap to the water pump, I pulled the old race car days and modified the new fan for fit. The fan photos show the new one modified against the old.

I have about 1/2in clearance now to the radiator and it's still pumping air. I will fab a small shroud probably next weekend. The issue I ran into is with the air filter and top radiator hose and radiator vent hose to the expansion tank.

Well, one trip to Lowe's for a 45deg 3in street elbow (modified), a rubber connector, and (2) hose clamps, the air cleaner issue is solved. I had to rerun my vent line over the intake to clean up the routing. I did put another larger hose around the vent for protection, insulation, etc. I'll probably end up modifying my air filter box to shield out the top radiator hose and vent line.

A couple more suspension tweaks in the front and I'll call it quits....for now. LOL

Very cool! I can't see the photos for some reason but looking forward to checking them out. Sounds like you're almost there!
Old 07-09-2018, 05:51 AM

Don't know what happened, but I was looking at the photos when I inserted them. Here they are now. The 1st two are the fan mod, the 2nd two are the original install, and the last two are the tweaks for the air filter clearance and vent hose.

I also want to second your statement and compliment to Vintage and Blacklane. There are others that I do not want to overlook, but these two have been the brain trust that I go to and look forward to hearing their knowledge in helping me get thru my "opportunities". Greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1. FAN 1.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	203.9 KB
ID:	806408   Click image for larger version

Name:	2. FAN 2.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	205.7 KB
ID:	806410   Click image for larger version

Name:	3. INSTALL 1.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	806412   Click image for larger version

Name:	4. INSTALL 2.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	806414   Click image for larger version

Name:	5. FILTER 1.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	806416  

Click image for larger version

Name:	6. FILTER 2.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	806418  
Old 07-09-2018, 06:24 PM

Looks good. These three rows don't leave you much room though lol. But should make cooling a bit more efficient. That new fan looks a lot beefier than the OEM one which is no doubt a good thing!
Old 07-14-2018, 05:26 PM

Mein Auto: Cars and Trucks
Dear Blacklane and others who are experienced in cooling system repairs for the Z3 2.5.

Black, I saw a comment you made in response to some messages about a trunk leak in another member's 1997 Z3 and my various malfunctioning parts on my girlfriend's 2001 Z3 2.5. I will get the link to there and post it here. https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...=779381&page=1
I will likely jump back and forth here and there in that thread to ask advice and direction with my primary issues. Our Z3 has 2 big ones and a few smaller ones. The main 2 are Cooling system failure such that I was left on side of the road when the pulley and fan was broken off and the serpentine belt off of the pulleys. In addition, the trunk does get water inside and the inside floor carpet is totally soaked from either trunk leaking and/or the convertible top having some tears in the window and likely other areas that water is now pooling in the passenger side foot area and under the seat rear.

The car has 121K miles on it and I am aware of the commonly known components that are failure prone and thus I plan to replace the pulleys, water pump, thermostat parts, radiator and any other questionable parts.
As I said elsewhere, I plan to get the car under roof soon, so I should be out of the woods water penetration wise until I get the cooling system parts installed.

Before I start the water pump etc, I need to dry out the car rugs. At present, I have gotten the seats out to lift up what areas of the wet carpeting that I could, and began to shop vac out the standing water and squashing out more water from the foam padded cushioning that fills up the floor pan. These "sponges" of padding were incredibly water logged after 4+ years of the car sitting outdoors since I left it to do so after finding out how incredibly frail the cooling systems of these cars are. I began on the wetter side which happens to be the passenger side. I lifted the rug to find nearly 1 inch of standing water all over the heavy battery cable and other wires and electric component that is under the carpet under the passenger seat. I will try to post a pic of this part and ask what it does.

For reference, prior to the overheating pulley/water pump/belt issue, the electric top opener was working, it currently is not. I will also search for more info on checking the convertible top pump, but I could also use a quick answer here as to where to find the pump since so many things in the car are hidden under various carpeted and plastic covers in the interior and trunk areas. I know I need to check the fluid level, but to do so, I need to be able to find the pump first. Sorry for so many areas covered here, but like I said, I have many areas to fix and want to get as direct of answers as possible without tons of wasted time searching all over and waste time finding only dead ends.

Anyway, time for more interior demo and water drying. If anyone can post the minimum interior parts needed to disassemble to get the carpets completely out and down to bare metal under the seats, I would appreciate saving myself unnecessary parts removal to do so. Thanks again.

Last edited by chilipepperman; 07-14-2018 at 05:38 PM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
Today's Posts Search