What is your favorite Wax and Sealant ? - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > The Detail Department

The Detail Department
Detailing tips, tricks to keep your bimmer in showroom condition.

Old 02-12-2019, 05:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 18 X5M, retired 640i vert
Everyone to his poison...I did a side by with M's Poly and my go.on new ride yesterday (Azurite Black Metallic X5), no contest to my 72 yo eyes..went to Collinite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2019, 05:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 428i
Waxes and Selants

I have a 2015 428i. Being retired, I can spend LOTS of time detailing it. My semi-annual routine is:
1. Wash car
2. Clay car (Mother's Speed Clay 2.0)
3. Polish and seal (Klasse All-in-One Polish/Seal)
4. Seal (Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze)
5. Carnuba wax (Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax)

I usually wash the car every week or two weeks and use Pinnacle Souveran spray carnuba wax twice a month.The shine is superb and the protection from South Florida sun and rain is excellent.

My wife considers my car detailing to be OCD- probably true- but damn, the car looks good!
Old 02-12-2019, 06:25 PM

Mein Auto: '16 M3,'98 M3, '76 M2
I've been using Zaino products for 25 years are so & I'm still very pleased with them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2019, 07:03 PM

Mein Auto: E61 530D E91 330d E46 328
I've owned about 70 cars & bikes and over the years have become a total slack-arse when it comes to cleaning them. (My 4WD is lucky to get hosed more often than every 6 months.) Luckily BMW have had fantastic paint quality (European made ones at least) since the late 80's.

When I do wash them tho, I do the washing properly. 2 bucket, pre rinse etc etc. I've tried many things and the one single product I come back to as an all-roinder is the basic Turtle Wax Hard Shell liquid wax. That by itself after a straight wash is all my eyes and fingers need. Lasts a good 6 months fine.

My last 2 BMWs have been silver which hides everything. However my latest is Mystic Blue which in one week, picks up dust & pollen that would be a year's worth on the silver cars so will be interesting to see how often I wash it. Still, that Hard Shell Turtle Wax does a fine job and allows a weekly hose off to get the shine back between washes.
Old 02-12-2019, 07:26 PM

Mein Auto: '14 535iGT xDrive
Lucas Slick Mist. It's like RainX'ing your entire car, which is something you could never do with RainX, which would destroy any paint or plastic it contacted (and quite frankly, never really lasted as long as they claimed). Spray and wipe with a microfiber cloth, car wet or dry. And once you've treated the car (or in my case the car, p.u., and Harley) and the bugs get on it in the warm weather, a quick spray and wipe and they come off easily. And once you've done the car you can easily do another quick application in a matter of minutes whenever you please. I buy it by the case.
Old 02-12-2019, 07:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW X5 3.5i M Sport
You will love using the Zaino system. Black has never looked so good!
Old 02-12-2019, 07:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 530i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Pilot View Post
I've been using Zaino products for 25 years are so & I'm still very pleased with them.
I used Zaino for many years. I didn't get too deep into all the products but used their sealant (they called it polish). I find that PowerLok is much easier to remove.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 Z4 3.0si
OptiSeal. My brother restores vintage Ferraris told me about it.Amazing stuff, and you can do the whole car in 10 minutes.Clay bar your car, use a good car cleaner like Meguiars, and then OptiSeal. Stuff is amazing you wipe it on and walk away. Google it, car stays shiny and clean and 1 oz will do several cars. Also no problem on windows or trim. I will never go back to wax.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:22 AM

Mein Auto: E30
Waxes

Zymol paste wax (blue) worked great on our '88 E30 for the first 20 yrs. Following an accident and total repaint have been using Klasse, an acrylic, both the "All-in-One" and cleaner-sealant (essentially non-abrasive) and pure sealant versions on all of our cars with excellent results - goes on easily and beads water at least as long as any wax I've tried, a good 2mo. or more for outside cars, washed weekly, and at least 6mo. when covered or garaged. For painted wheels use Big White Hi-Temp Paste Wax over Klasse. Clay bar about once/yr or if grit starts to stick. Still have an old yellow can of Simonize that works well for road tar removal, maybe due to the turpentine in it. The Klasse is pricy at BMW dealerships but reasonable on-line, and my BMW dealer has matched the on-line prices.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 X35i
And not one user of Zaino Brothers car care products. You guys are missing out.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 530i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by rirrgang View Post
And not one user of Zaino Brothers car care products. You guys are missing out.
Did you read post # 32???
Old 02-13-2019, 06:42 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4trains View Post
He gets paid only for his product placement mentions.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 X35i
Quote:
I did now. thanks. I really love these threads. There's no one right answer
Old 02-13-2019, 10:04 AM
racer wannabe

Mein Auto: '14 535iX '12 X5, '03 325
No offense but you guys with Turtle Waxes, Zaino and Klasse, etc. really need to check what's new out there. I tried all this stuff, still have a bottle of Klasse that’s probably 18 years old
New products on the market outperforms these in terms of gloss, durability and what’s most important to me - ease of use!
Old 02-13-2019, 10:10 AM
racer wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin'Dirty View Post
They make a wicked good car wash soap also:
I got a bottle of their no rinse wash with aqua wax in it and may ditch ONR, all Duragloss products perform really well.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:23 AM
racer wannabe

OP made some good choices, I would also add one of the new ceramic hybrid spray sealants to the routine for extra durability. Just got a bottle of Meguiar’s ceramic hybrid at a local autozone and can’t wait to try it. Also look up 303 Touchless Sealant, should be available locally soon.

Old 02-13-2019, 10:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 335xi
I always use NuFinish. I wash the car with armour all soap then I apply NuFinish. I only do the waxing once a year. When it’s winter and the car gets muddy, the dirt comes off with just a jet of water and it looks as if it was soaped.

Here’s a life hack. NuFinish is a good water repeller for windshields. Safe on glass and it doesn’t damage wiper blades. The water just flows right off my windshield.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 02-14-2019, 01:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 x5
Wax

Hey,
You guys seem in-the-know but just to be 100% clear to future readers of this forum, we want to distinguish wax from polish. Polish may be used on fine scratches here and there but never as a protective coating. It leaves swirl marks that are really visible on a black finish.

Have a '03 X5, grey green metallic. Live in NYS and the car sat out from June '09 till March '16 while my sports car (not BMW) stayed garaged. Been a Griots customer since '03. Use Speed Shine with Paint Cleaning Clay twice annually...the lower doors and lower rear bumper pick up a bit of road schmutz easily dealt with by the clay. Best of Show Wax for final finish. No ill effects from being outside all those years.

I did get an education reading everyones comments but, with all respect, I'll stop short of spraying anything on my car. Don't want to fool with my perfect finish.

Cheers, Jack
Old 06-02-2019, 08:13 AM

Mein Auto: 02 540i,09 X5d
Zaino. Multiple thin coats will make jaws drop!!
Old 06-02-2019, 11:57 AM

Mein Auto: G30 540
Quote:
Menzerna/Jescar PowerLok. No wax for me.
Works great. Apply twice a year.
Old 06-02-2019, 04:20 PM

Mein Auto: 328xi
After decades detailing cars, I now only use sealants. My favorite two are P&S Beadmaker and Meguiars Ceramic Hybrid.
Old 08-01-2019, 05:32 PM

Mein Auto: '14 535iGT xDrive
Lucas Slick Mist. Cost is a lot less than most of the other purported Hi-Tech sealants. Extremely easy to use, and it's like Rain-Xing your entire car, but doesn't do damage to paint or plastics like Rain X would.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:51 PM

Mein Auto: G30 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by southcoastguy View Post
After decades detailing cars, I now only use sealants. My favorite two are P&S Beadmaker and Meguiars Ceramic Hybrid.
Tried the P&S Beadmaker over the Powerlock last week. Agree that Beadmaker is a good product.
Old 08-01-2019, 11:43 PM
C code: 405/3

Mein Auto: 99 Z3 M Coupe
I'm still a huge Powerlock fan but the experimentation bug just won't go away.
Like CGP, I've tried P&S Beadmaker and find it works like a champ. Really easy to use, easy on, easy off, huge shine, durability seems good so far. Another test lately has been Turtle Wax Seal and Shine. Yup Turtle Wax. Surprisingly good too. A small caveat with the Seal and Shine though. Thin is king. If you get a little streaking, it means it went on a bit too thick. A little misting with H2O removes the streaking easily though. It's hydrophobicity (yup, that's a word - I checked it out) is beyond belief and it's slickness is huge.
I've read good things about Meguiar's Ceramic Wax so that might be my next test.
Old 08-08-2019, 01:13 PM

Mein Auto: 98 e39 540i
So I have a 2013 E70 LCI...
It's White in its the 1st white vehicle I've ever owned… any recommendations on a good product for after I clay bar it. Does anybody who has chimed in here on all these products recommend their product for the color white? BMW white on a 2013 E70? I know I used to use Swissol on my black 911 [they've changed the name a little] but that was black...
TIA!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > The Detail Department
Today's Posts Search