Valve Cover Bolts - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 Roadster, E86 Z4 Coupe, E85 Z4 M Roadster, and E86 Z4 M Coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 05-19-2019, 08:03 AM

Mein Auto: Hopefully Z4
Valve Cover Bolts

I have a leak in my 2003 z4 2.5 valve cover gasket. I plan on replacing it my self as there are many good threads and videos on this. I am having a problem finding the bolts as they are "one time use" When I do a search I find bolts for 2006 or newer, will these fit my car or where can I find the right bold (I cannot find the part number)

Also if any one has a suggestion on a kit or store to buy from it would be appreciated.

Thanks
Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2019, 08:20 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Part numbers

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=11_2169
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 05-19-2019, 12:25 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '06 Z4 3.0si, '11 128CiC
It's only the aluminum torque to yield bolts on the N52 engine used in 2006 and later models that are one time use.
The steel studs on your M54 engine are reusable. You do need to be careful about overtightening them and snapping them off. Should that happen, here's the info on replacements.

http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E8...er_head_cover/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
That's info for cylinder head bolts that you provided. He was looking for valve cover info.

Last edited by dc_wright; 05-19-2019 at 12:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2019, 03:28 PM

Thanks for the info - I hope I do not need extract broken bolts - fingers crossed. I am going to replace the plugs while I am there - is there anything else I should do while I am doing this?
Tom
Old 05-20-2019, 09:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 Z4
Yes...do the Vanos seals and the eccentric shaft gasket also. And while you are there, do the oil filter housing gasket next door. I just did all this. Took me a day, but she is sealed up nice now.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:47 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 Z4 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by francophile View Post
Yes...do the Vanos seals and the eccentric shaft gasket also. And while you are there, do the oil filter housing gasket next door. I just did all this. Took me a day, but she is sealed up nice now.
Second that suggestion on the oil filter housing gasket since it is likely the same age as vcg. You may never notice it leaking until you lose your alternator (ask how I know..)
Old 05-20-2019, 08:50 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '06 Z4 3.0si, '11 128CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by td in nc View Post
Thanks for the info - I hope I do not need extract broken bolts - fingers crossed. I am going to replace the plugs while I am there - is there anything else I should do while I am doing this?
Tom
Just don't gorilla torque them putting the valve cover back on and you'll be fine. Definitely replace the spark plugs while you're in there, and the plug boots also.
Depending on your mileage you might think about doing the vanos, but that's a more advanced DIY than the VCG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by francophile View Post
It's a 2003 with the M54 engine. There's no eccentric shaft so no sensor gasket to worry about.

Last edited by dc_wright; 05-20-2019 at 08:51 PM.
Old 05-24-2019, 07:17 AM

I got the valve cover off and changed the plugs. I did break the vc exhaust hose. Ordered a new hose looks like a PITA to get at the lower connection. Also have the stuff do the VANOS. I do not have any signs of issues and wondering after reading the threads on removal (cutting bolt thread, jacking engine or pry bar on frontengine cross frame). I am really considering not doing the VANOS, concerned I my end up breaking some other parts. Car has 85k
Old 10-21-2019, 12:02 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by td in nc View Post
I got the valve cover off and changed the plugs. I did break the vc exhaust hose. Ordered a new hose looks like a PITA to get at the lower connection. Also have the stuff do the VANOS. I do not have any signs of issues and wondering after reading the threads on removal (cutting bolt thread, jacking engine or pry bar on frontengine cross frame). I am really considering not doing the VANOS, concerned I my end up breaking some other parts. Car has 85k
I purchased the valve cover gasket and bolt seals about a month ago, noticed oil leaking on the exhaust. I plan on doing this job between now and next spring season. I also read about the VANOS seals. I think i will purchase those and attempt to do it, it does require lifting the engine a bit off the engine mounts. Though if i'm going that far i probably should change the thermostat and water pump and the belts. And my oil pan gasket is leaking which requires jacking the engine off of the mounts so i can remove the subframe . So much to do to this car lol.

Anyway, how did it go doing the valve cover gasket? Were you okay reusing the bolts? I did not purchase any new ones either.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
Today's Posts Search