540 M sport config - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > G30 (2017 - Current)

G30 (2017 - Current)
The next generation 5 Series, chassis code G30, arrives at dealers in February 2017. Looking like a scaled down 7 Series and riding on the CLAR platform, the new 5 Series will have a focus on lightweight and sporty performance. Engines options will come from BMW's new B family for the 530 and 540 and a turbocharged V8 for the M550i. Read more about the 2017 5 Series

Old 12-26-2016, 11:21 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2018 M550i; 2017 X5 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle11 View Post
DHP is suppose to allow the car to be everything to all, a comfortable ride in Comfort and if needed be more sporty when it sport mode.

Now I've been having a lot of run walking people in this thread talk about a car that no one has driven, I wish people would wait until after the car is introduced at the NAAS and wait for the proper order guide be released before getting your nickers in a twist.
I'm basing my experience of owning two 5 series with DHP. Spring rate on both (both without 704) have been too soft - all things to no-one or perhaps some things to most. Either way, the order guide clearly states that you can order 704 OR 223 OR DHP. Unlike the on the F06. The jury is still out on the M550i since that order guide is not available for the North American market. However the German order guide does seem to indicate there may be a variation of 223 (DDC) available in that model along with 704. Time will tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spied4US View Post
Good man! And while you're at it, would you also ask your CA what must be ordered with the mocha LZN1 Nappa leather option in a 540? If I'm reading the Ordering Guide correctly -- no easy task, that -- Nappa leather also requires ordering, at a minimum, Contour Seating (456), but it seems it's also possible that neither can be ordered with the M-Sport package.
The price guide does say that Nappa Leather (LZ**) requires either ZLS (Luxury Seating Package), ZPP (Premium Package), or 456 (Multi-contour seats). LZFF (Ivory White Nappa) requires either ZMP (M Sport) or ZLS. I don't see any indication that ZMP cannot be ordered with either 456 or Nappa. In fact, a few weeks ago I had a G30 540ix built with Mocha Leather, M-Sport, and Multi-contour seats (with ZLS). Unless something changed I'm pretty sure you can get LZNI in a 540i with a minimum of adding 456.

Current

2018 M550i Med. Blue|Cognac Dakota|Cold Weather Pkg|DA|DA+|Exec Pkg|Parking Assist|759i 20"|Rear Sun Shade|Remote Control Park|CarPlay|Rear Ent|B&W Sound|Night Vision|Gesture Control
2017 X5 35i Space Grey|Canberra Beige|Cold Weather|DA|DA+|Lux Seating|Premium Pkg|DDC+Rear Axle Air suspension|Soft-close|Rear Shade|Park Assist|HK Sound|

Past

2014 535dx
2013 X5 35i
2007 530i/6
2002 X5 4.4i
2000 540i/6
1999 M Roadster
1989 535iA
1984 533i/5
1983 533i/5
1977 530i/4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2016, 01:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImolaRedM View Post
. . . .a few weeks ago I had a G30 540ix built with Mocha Leather, M-Sport, and Multi-contour seats (with ZLS). Unless something changed I'm pretty sure you can get LZNI in a 540i with a minimum of adding 456. (Emphasis added)
Talked me into it! These two (LZNI and 456) and the Dynamic Damper Control package will do nicely. Thanks for the prompt response.
Old 12-26-2016, 10:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2017 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharding View Post
I have a copy of the current dealer order guide from which dealers are placing orders at this time.

Thank you for your insights. There is nothing wrong with discussing this among ourselves. I am not aware of anyone with their knickers in a twist, whatever that means. Some of us like me, are on lease extensions and this needs to be sorted out as soon as possible. I for one value the discussion and insights. My insights were reinforced from the discussion here. This morning I emailed my client advisor who will reach out to BMW NA. When I find something out by mid-week, I'll post information here.
If you have a copy that is different then what was posted in the forum then post so we all can see it.

Discussion is good, however, it's all just hearsay since no one has seen a G30, driven one in person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImolaRedM View Post
I'm basing my experience of owning two 5 series with DHP. Spring rate on both (both without 704) have been too soft - all things to no-one or perhaps some things to most. Either way, the order guide clearly states that you can order 704 OR 223 OR DHP. Unlike the on the F06. The jury is still out on the M550i since that order guide is not available for the North American market. However the German order guide does seem to indicate there may be a variation of 223 (DDC) available in that model along with 704. Time will tell.
So you are basing your experience on a car that is not G30? how can anyone take that to the bank?

2016 328xi GT, A86, LCOM, ZDA, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, 494, 5AC, 5DF, 5DL, BMS Stage 1, Many coded goodies. ED 8-28-2015 Gone

Last edited by Eagle11; 12-26-2016 at 10:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2016, 11:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2018 M550i; 2017 X5 35i
Quote:
If you have a copy that is different then what was posted in the forum then post so we all can see it.

Discussion is good, however, it's all just hearsay since no one has seen a G30, driven one in person.

So you are basing your experience on a car that is not G30? how can anyone take that to the bank?
You can't. Do with it what you will. Until dealers have enough inventory with each variation so we can compare back to back test drives, we can only speculate. However, 704 spring rates have been fairly consistent across generations since at least the E39. I'm intentionally making distinctions between spring rates vs dampening.

Current

2018 M550i Med. Blue|Cognac Dakota|Cold Weather Pkg|DA|DA+|Exec Pkg|Parking Assist|759i 20"|Rear Sun Shade|Remote Control Park|CarPlay|Rear Ent|B&W Sound|Night Vision|Gesture Control
2017 X5 35i Space Grey|Canberra Beige|Cold Weather|DA|DA+|Lux Seating|Premium Pkg|DDC+Rear Axle Air suspension|Soft-close|Rear Shade|Park Assist|HK Sound|

Past

2014 535dx
2013 X5 35i
2007 530i/6
2002 X5 4.4i
2000 540i/6
1999 M Roadster
1989 535iA
1984 533i/5
1983 533i/5
1977 530i/4
Old 12-27-2016, 05:13 AM

Mein Auto: 17 540i x
Quote:

Discussion is good, however, it's all just hearsay since no one has seen a G30, driven one in person....
I agree. However this board is for discussion purposes and to share thoughts and opinions. It is not a court of law where hearsay is disqualifying legally. This message board is rather simple. This a place to post knowledge, thoughts or opinions. Some us are into the technology of the 5er and have owned many in the past. I have driven 5ers with sport suspensions for the last 16 years. My 2011 550i had DHP with DDC. I agree that the best way to form an opinion is for each of us to drive exact G30 that we are considering and make an informed decision. Think of the variables here. RWD versus xDrive, engine sizes, 704 suspension possibly with or without DDC, DHP, IAS. The new G30 demo cars aren't even at the dealerships yet and they will not have msport suspensions. Dealers in the Chicago area typically only order 5ers without sport suspensions for their inventory because the general public does like a ride that firm. A G30 with Sport Suspension is typically a special order car. The chances of one of us being to drive two variants of the exact car that we are looking before next Spring is slim to none. Short of that the best that we can do is to share collective knowledge and opinions about the sport suspension options. I for one appreciate what BMW Enthusiasts here have to share and discuss. Each of us is free to read the stuff, possibly share thoughts, or ignore it. I for one greatly appreciate what posters here have to say under the circumstances. Since my lease is up in November and I going to Europe for BMW Euro Delivery I will be ordering a 540i xDrive M Sport sometime between now and late January so no test drive for me. This message board plus insights from my Client Adviser who will contact BMW is the best source of information that I will have.

17 540i x
14 550i Euro Del, Retired
14 X3 2.8i
11 550i Euro Del, Retired
08 550i Euro Del, Retired
07 330i Retired
06 330i Euro Del, Retired
04 545i Euro Del, Retired
01 530i Euro Del, Retired
Old 12-27-2016, 05:37 AM

Mein Auto: X5, 540, 911 Cabriolet MT
Quote:
I agree. However this board is for discussion purposes and to share thoughts and opinions. It is not a court of law where hearsay is disqualifying legally. This message board is rather simple. This a place to post knowledge, thoughts or opinions. Some us are into the technology of the 5er and have owned many in the past. I have driven 5ers with sport suspensions for the last 16 years. My 2011 550i had DHP with DDC. I agree that the best way to form an opinion is for each of us to drive exact G30 that we are considering and make an informed decision. Think of the variables here. RWD versus xDrive, engine sizes, 704 suspension possibly with or without DDC, DHP, IAS. The new G30 demo cars aren't even at the dealerships yet and they will not have msport suspensions. Dealers in the Chicago area typically only order 5ers without sport suspensions for their inventory because the general public does like a ride that firm. A G30 with Sport Suspension is typically a special order car. The chances of one of us being to drive two variants of the exact car that we are looking before next Spring is slim to none. Short of that the best that we can do is to share collective knowledge and opinions about the sport suspension options. I for one appreciate what BMW Enthusiasts here have to share and discuss. Each of us is free to read the stuff, possibly share thoughts, or ignore it. I for one greatly appreciate what posters here have to say under the circumstances. Since my lease is up in November and I going to Europe for BMW Euro Delivery I will be ordering a 540i xDrive M Sport sometime between now and late January so no test drive for me. This message board plus insights from my Client Adviser who will contact BMW is the best source of information that I will have.
long time until then for a test drive.
Old 12-27-2016, 07:09 AM

Mein Auto: 640i GC
Quote:
I too will order one before test driving my exact configuration, my lease is up Feb 2017. I have had a few 5ers in the past, and the 6 I have now has very nice suspension setup, if it had better seats (no multicontour) I'd probably get another 6. I am hoping BMW will offer a similar setup on the G30, waiting for Pharding to get a response to his question about getting 704 and DDC.
2010 335i Conv Sport auto
2008 550i Msport auto
2004 545i sport auto
2003 Z4 3.0 sport auto
2001 530i sport auto
2001 X5 sport auto
1999 740il auto
1996 540i auto
1995 M3 manual
1991 525i auto
1987 325is sport manual
1982 320is sport manual
1981 320is sport manual
1979 320is sport manual
Old 12-27-2016, 09:02 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Why don't you fly to Europe in February and test drive the variants for us? Then all of us (along with you) will have all the information we need to make decision.
Old 12-27-2016, 06:23 PM

Mein Auto: Acura RL
rude
Old 12-29-2016, 09:09 AM

First of all I was surpised by BobRae's obnoxious, cynical comment about this thread and me trying to sort through the sport suspensions options the G30 M Sport. However I di find out great information that others will find helpful. To read about it go this thread because I want other BMW Enthusiasts to read the great news.

17 540i x
14 X3 2.8i
07 330i Retired
Old 12-29-2016, 09:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2017 330i
Quote:
First of all I was surpised by BobRae's obnoxious, cynical comment about this thread and me trying to sort through the sport suspensions options the G30 M Sport. However I di find out great information that others will find helpful. To read about it go this thread because I want other BMW Enthusiasts to read the great news.
what thread?

2016 328xi GT, A86, LCOM, ZDA, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, 494, 5AC, 5DF, 5DL, BMS Stage 1, Many coded goodies. ED 8-28-2015 Gone
Old 12-29-2016, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Whats rude and obnoxious about my posts?

Some of you are writing lines and lines of speculation about a new generation car, that by BMW's words (and the auto magazines initial tests) has been retuned to be a better handling and driving car. Historically the sport suspension on the 5 series (I've owned 4 of them and driven many more - although non with DHP) has been about 10% firmer than the stock car. Does that mean that will continue? Will the ride be firmer than the current 704? What about the spring rates? Will a G30 with DHP have firmer springs that the current 528 that in its base form drives like a Buick? What about lock to lock and sensitivity of the steering? What changes have been made. Anti roll bars? What did they do with those? No one posting here knows.

The single line of value I've read here so far is that what has been done in the past doesn't mean that is what is being done in the future - with the G30. We only know from the "First Drive" reviews that the car is crisper, steers better and handles better.

So, I suggested this; let someone who needs a car first fly to Europe where the cars will be on the road in 2 weeks and test drive for us. It seems reasonable to me.

Have fun guys.
Old 12-29-2016, 09:34 AM

BobRae we are collectively trying to sort this out. Most of us don't have the time to fly to Europe as you cynically suggest.

Here's the thread.
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...19#post9979619

17 540i x
14 X3 2.8i
07 330i Retired

Last edited by pharding; 12-29-2016 at 09:38 AM.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:50 AM

Quote:
BobRae we are collectively trying to sort this out. Most of us don't have the time to fly to Europe as you cynically suggest.

Here's the thread.
Merriam Webster; "Cynical: based on or reflecting a belief that human conduct is motivated primarily by self-interest"

I'm not "cynically" suggesting anything as I'm not motivated by self interest. Im interested in reliable information for the group, not just uneducated speculation which doesn't help anyone.

I'm currently shopping for a new Porsche 911 for a summer/fall car. I live in a cold climate and cars aren't on the road right now. I can ask everyone what they thing of a sport exhaust system or the -20mm sport suspension - but everyone has a different tolerance for noise and ride firmness.

So, at least with a current model car you can gain an understanding of what an enthusiast thinks about a current generation car. I'm currently vacationing in southern California and will test drive a car equipped as I think I'd take it to make sure it is right for me. Spending $135,000, I wouldn't be relying on the opinions of others (solely).

When it comes to a new generation car, until someone has had hands on experience, what useful information can they possibly provide about a new generation car?

So, I'm not being cynical, I'm suggesting something practical. For someone who has to replace a car coming off lease in February, if you're on the east coast, you can fly to Frankfurt for $700.00 round trip for a test drive and get a short European vacation in to boot. Maybe someone does business in Europe. Maybe someone on the forum is in Europe?

You have 4 choices when you are looking at spending $100,000+ on a new car and don't know what it will drive like:

1. Read the auto magazines;
2. Find a bunch of people who have driven the car with the various options and try and gain a consensus of what the car drives like;
3. Fly out to a dealer who has one and see what you think for your self;
4. Just order the car and live with what you get.

So, who is going on the test drive for us?
Old 01-02-2017, 09:26 AM
Ultimative fahrmaschine

Mein Auto: '08 328 E93 '12 X3 28i
Quote:

Here's the thread.
I have the time. Maybe I ought to start a fund me account.
Have passport wll travel.
Old 01-21-2017, 05:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 X5 - 2017 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
Are you planning on ordering vehicle or choosing from dealer stock?

1. Yes, ZDT Driver Assist Plus II requires ZDB Driver Assist Plus, which in turn requires ZDA Driver Assist. For the F10, you could get either 5AS Active Driving Assistant (ADA) or 5AT ADA with ACC+. They use some of the same hardware so it is a natural progression.

2. I prefer 704 M to DHP on the F10, but will hold judgement until I drive the G30.

3. Multi-contour seats, for me, are a must. I could take or leave the ventilated seats. The ladder only works so well and you will get more out of a quality tint and A/C. I like the upgraded feel and look of the Napa leather, though it requires more care, of which without will show more wear and tear.

4. I really like the Icon Adaptive headlamps and CA. I could take or leave Sirius (I use more flac audio via USB). I do not see myself using wireless charging or wifi hotspot. CA, along with power trunk should really be standard; though all dealer stock at which I looked had these option. I drove a 528i rental without 322, 316, 610, & 688 and it drove me nuts.

5. I do like my ceramic controls as well, though they show fingerprints. I have never had trouble closing doors.

6. I am looking forward to seeing LCTJ. I think the mocha looks good in some color combinations, but could never get a good sense of it. I would hate it in one vehicle and like it in another.

7. No clue. I do not usually see those on guides.

I'm getting the B&W system in my 540i, how do you play the flac audio files in your car, through a USB stick or do you download onto the hard drive, and what car do you have?

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 01-21-2017, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: Test Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsalaz View Post
I'm getting the B&W system in my 540i, how do you play the flac audio files in your car, through a USB stick or do you download onto the hard drive, and what car do you have?
I use external storage (flash drive or HDD). Internal storage is only 20GB; I have over 10 TB of music.
Old 01-21-2017, 01:26 PM

Ok, What Audio system do you have? B & O, HK, other? And your audio system plays those FLAC files seamlessly from the USB drive? Do you notice better quality sound?
Old 01-21-2017, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Ok, What Audio system do you have? B & O, HK, other? And your audio system plays those FLAC files seamlessly from the USB drive? Do you notice better quality sound?
I currently have HK on both vehicles, but flac files plays seamlessly in all BMW systems (B&O, B&W, HK, etc). I notice a huge difference, especially when EQ is tuned correctly.
Old 01-21-2017, 01:38 PM

Awesome, thank you.... According the the NEW G30 manual the basic audio system ONLY supports the following formats:
USB Media Playable Formats: MP3MP4, M4B, AAC, WMA
Old 01-21-2017, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Awesome, thank you.... According the the NEW G30 manual the basic audio system ONLY supports the following formats:
USB Media Playable Formats: MP3MP4, M4B, AAC, WMA
I have no trouble with those as well as others, including avi, flv, ogg, ovg, m4v, mkv, mpg, and mpeg.

Last edited by Almaretto; 01-21-2017 at 02:49 PM.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
I currently have HK on both vehicles, but flac files plays seamlessly in all BMW systems (B&O, B&W, HK, etc). I notice a huge difference, especially when EQ is tuned correctly.

Can I ask you what year and model your car is? And do you play the Flac files from the external USB drive or download onto the HDD?
I have a 2010 X5 with upgraded Harman Kardon system and I tried to play a Flac file on a USB drive but no go. Not sure if 2010 is old technology or I didn't install the file properly on the drive.

Joe from Ottawa, Canada
Bimmerfest mobile app[/url]
Old 01-22-2017, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Can I ask you what year and model your car is? And do you play the Flac files from the external USB drive or download onto the HDD?
I have a 2010 X5 with upgraded Harman Kardon system and I tried to play a Flac file on a USB drive but no go. Not sure if 2010 is old technology or I didn't install the file properly on the drive.

Joe from Ottawa, Canada
My vehicles are exactly as my profiles state. HU_NBT. I never import files to internal drive as I would only be able to do maybe 2-3 albums.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:48 PM

My Client Adviser, Josh Douglas at Elmhurst BMW, will be test driving all of the suspension options at Texas Motor Speedway on Monday Jan 23, and Tuesday Jan 24. We will have his impressions and better insights from BMW NA staff on Wednesday and hopefully a video. Hopefully they will have a M550iX also.

17 540i x
14 X3 2.8i
07 330i Retired
Old 01-22-2017, 02:53 PM

Mein Auto: 528i xDrive
Quote:

Joe from Ottawa, Canada

You have CIC system, I also had CIC in my 2012 F10, it doesn't support FLAC or OGG. What you can do is convert music to WMA Lossless (not regular WMA) and it works similarly. There is a program to batch convert all music (it was mentioned in some of the threads on the forum). Also CIC system supports WMA Lossless only from USB, not internal drive.

NBT supports more formats and can play them from both USB and internal drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

2012 528i xDrive Sport | Silver/Gray, Prem/Nav/PDC/HUD/ACC
2016 535i M Sport | AW/Black, Prem/DA/DA+/HK

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > G30 (2017 - Current)
Today's Posts Search