The official E36 OT Thread!! - Page 3282 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 06:23 PM
Old Soul

Mein Auto: '96 328is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad31late View Post
I'm so fking pissed!!!

I've been waiting all day for my package to arrive via USPS, keep checking the mail and going outside, I track the package via online, and what do I see!!!

Notice left!

The fcuk? Where? Theres no slip at my door nor inside my box... It's 4:45 at this time, I rush to the post office and apparently I need the the slip cause they don't know what it is!!!

Like come on, if I had the slip I would have brought it! Right?!?!

Now I have to wait till tomorrow so they can sort by address!!!

Fkicking bullsh1t!!!
Bad days all around. Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2013, 06:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '06 Z4 3.0si, '11 128CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivinfaster View Post

btw, should we have a pad @ bfeast??

df
Oh hell yeah! All it takes is a big box of Tide detergent and some water.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:24 PM
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
Quote:
Now I have to wait till tomorrow so they can sort by address!!!
Yep, I've had similar things happen with packages.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2013, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGerman View Post
Yep, I've had similar things happen with packages.
We've had dozens of times where we've paid extra for delivery by 8:30 a.m. only to have the regular delivery guy show up at 9 and the "special" show up at noon.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:32 PM
I6 feels good

Mein Auto: POS
I don't understand why we have priority shipping if it isn't prioritized as it should be!

This is why I rather pay for FedEx or UPS anyday, I've only had issues with USPS, seems like everytime I need something delivered to my door I always have to pick up from the post office...
Old 04-08-2013, 06:34 PM
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor

Back when I worked in medical research, I had to overnight highly sensitive specimens on a routine basis. It was one of the [numerous] reasons why I left that job, since I hated sweating bullets while waiting for delivery guys to show up to either pick up outgoing stuff, or drop off insanely time sensitive treatments while patients, doctors, and nurses were waiting. Not. Fun.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
Old 04-08-2013, 06:42 PM
I6 feels good

I would believe so, I worked in a pharmacy in Beverly Hills as a tech for 6 months, DHL (cheapest best possible delivery service) would pick up hundreds of packages for overnight deliveries!

This were packages for elderly and mentally disabled people and everything had to be timed perfectly since some patients made last minute calls for refills!

We sometimes received calls 2 days later saying that they never received their package, we started tracking the packages and mostly (80%) were delivered on time.

DHL stepped it a notch after we threatened to use UPS or me! Man were those deliveries awesome!!!
Old 04-08-2013, 06:44 PM
Needs Boost

Mein Auto: Red Sled
I've had just as many problems with fedex and ups as usps. They all can be a pita.

Just finished up rear pads, drums, etc on the E30.

Never.... Again will I buy a vehicle with drum brakes or replace them. The nice E30 is getting a disk swap. Took 3 hours and I still have to adjust the e brake.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Bimmer App

Old 04-08-2013, 06:47 PM
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor

I had no idea E30s ever had rear drums! What's even more amazing is that many automakers still make cars with rear drums! How crazy is that?! 2013, and some new cars still have drum rear brakes... So hard to believe.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
Old 04-08-2013, 06:49 PM
Needs Boost

Mein Auto: Red Sled
Yea, soo dumb!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Bimmer App

Old 04-08-2013, 06:49 PM

Mein Auto: A redhead E90
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGerman View Post
I had no idea E30s ever had rear drums! What's even more amazing is that many automakers still make cars with rear drums! How crazy is that?! 2013, and some new cars have drum rear brakes...
rear drums exist as a cop out for cost. somehow though there are more pieces, they're cheaper to equip than discs all around. Drums suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los View Post
^He's been drinking beer and destroying pumpkins with brake rotors and sledge hammers.

So, pretty much just doing man stuff.
  • '14 GMC Sierra SLE Z71
Old 04-08-2013, 07:23 PM

Mein Auto: 05 M3 ZCP,04 z4,01 325iT
Wow, sorry everyone is having such a bad day.

@ James. Really sorry to hear about your car. Just something to considering, this offer you accept could set the baseline for all future salary negotiations. Studies have shown that by the 30s, women often make 20% less than men, often due to their inability (or unwillingness) to negotiate. You have a market value, and they are not willing to pay you for it, I suggest you strongly, strongly consider if you want that job. There is nothing worse than feeling bitter because you feel undervalued. It will show, eventually.

@ Dino...did I miss something while I was away? Did your new-to-you e46 get hit????

@ Brad and Ken, sorry to hear about your packages.

@ Joey, response for you deserves a whole other post :-)

And Travis Tritt singing the National Anthem for NC2A final can't hold a tune. I'm cringing. And I don't think my Buckeye-trained psyche will let me root for Michigan out loud :-)

"Don't be fooled, she drives with the aggression of a scorned 17 year old"
Old 04-08-2013, 07:26 PM
some kid

Mein Auto: whiny 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdoherty View Post
rear drums exist as a cop out for cost. somehow though there are more pieces, they're cheaper to equip than discs all around. Drums suck.
Well it's cheaper to put a candle in a headlight housing... doesn't mean they should be able to get away with it.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:27 PM
The Canadian Prick.

Mein Auto: '96 328is Cosmos

HAS KEN HAD HIS MEDS YET?
Old 04-08-2013, 07:28 PM
some kid

Mein Auto: whiny 318
Expensive/difficult to replace?

Old 04-08-2013, 07:56 PM
Old Soul

The moral of the story from OT today. Sit yer arse down and don't go anywhere. Murphy's law is in double-effect today.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdoherty View Post
There's less total metal mass in a given drum brake system than in a disc brake system. When you are manufacturing in volumes in the millions the basic commodity price drives the end system price so any design that uses less metal will be less expensive. On the assy line drum brakes are easier to automate for assy than disc brakes.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:11 PM
I6 feels good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shigeta View Post
The moral of the story from OT today. Sit yer arse down and don't go anywhere. Murphy's law is in double-effect today.
Not me, I'm heading out to GMR!!!
Old 04-08-2013, 08:20 PM
Old Soul

Quote:
Not me, I'm heading out to GMR!!!
Something goes down, guaranteed.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:26 PM
Cruising 280 Top Down

Mein Auto: '99 M3 Cab & '05 X5 4.8is
Oh jeez, I've been spared today for bad tidings, but the day isn't over yet!

James: Tell them that. You want to work with them but the numbers need to fit for you. Their job on their end is to get your talent at the least expense. Your job is to get their highest salary possible. Usually both parties will be a bit unhappy about the outcome, but that's typically the optimal middle ground. Have fun!

Just signed up for Motorcycle Safety Foundation class. May 11th (week before Bfest!)

GGC BMW CCA #443004
Join the BMW CCA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
Jared, why don't you just put "It's Giubo" in your sig? Save a lot of typing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36 miguel View Post
this jared guy sounds intimidating lol.
2005 X5 4.8is Le Mans/Black/6spd Steptragic SOLD 3/2016
1999 M3 Cabrio TiAg Metallic/Dove Grey/Black 5 Speed Manual FS
-------------------------------------------------------------------
1997 328iC Schwarz II/K/K 5MT SOLD 5/2012
2004 645Ci Mineral Silver Metallic/Black 6MT RIP 04/2011
Old 04-08-2013, 08:33 PM

Mein Auto: 05 M3 ZCP,04 z4,01 325iT
Joey, here's the girl (and semi professional psychiatrist) take on de sitiation....

From what I read, there are several issues you are facing

1. Financial stress due to the combination of the VW cash purchase & repair outlay, coupled with some unforeseen expenses.
2. Uncomfortableness (psychic and monetarily) letting the M3 'sit' and not immediately fixing it up.
3. Relationship stress due to your perceived time in the garage.

Let's take this from the easiest to resolve to the hardest.

1. Financial stress: This seems to be the easiest to resolve. First off, even if you sold the VW and bought something else, you could be facing a whole host of unknown issues. So at least you have a devil you know, that, once you get over the original 'hurt' should be a relatively low maintenance vehicle. Someone once told me that writing the first mortgage payment would make me anxious for 3 to 6 months, then it will become routine. Sensing you are in the early part of this cycle. Plus, you seem to be very fiscially responsible and risk adverse (certainaly not a bad thing). So this change in the norm is making you anxious. Might suggest writing out (which you sorta did already) what your six month,1 year and 2 year financial goals are, particularly with your new job...and your plan to achieve these goals. Consider doing this both with (your plan) and without (plan GF will likely gravitate to) M3 expenditures. I think this might help you both see this is a temporary blip and give your mind a mental 'phew' that you will get by this quickly...and you are making steps towards those adult goals. (and Joey, just remember, lots of your peers aren't even thinking about saving for a home, so you are doing well).

2. The M3 sitting. So, my sense is this is your inner self not being comfortable with an unfinished project (any project...am I right?). Folks who own old houses feel the same, a never ending list of costly repairs that will never get done....so trust me, I understand this anxiety. Again, suggest making a list, budget the repair, create a time estimate, then prioritize same. Pick 1 project per month (or quarter) and set a time budget. Might suggest making this very conservative, given the time sensitivity....until you get #3 under control. Once you do complete a small project, however small, check it off when it's done. That way, when you begin to feel anxious for not moving fast enough, you can refer back to the plan to remind yourself (and pat yourself on the back) for all the things you have done..this will also force you to to mentally 'gut check' your anxiety on what is left to do. This will also help with #3 :-)

3. Relationship stress due to your perceived time in the garage. As my sister (the real psychiatrist) once told me when I was battling whether or not to leave a LTR, sometimes it's very hard to know what's your sh8t, your other half's sh8t, and the relationship sh8t. In psych terms, it's called transferrance if someone is unhappy with X and projecting this unhappiness onto your boss, SO, family, etc). I sense this might be here in the situation, to a limited extent. So, good for you, you are also looking at other things that could be making her upset. Now, that doesn't necessarily take you off the hook, but I agree with everyone else that individuals that form a couple must have individual pursuits. Is she proactively doing things to make her happy? Sounds like she is killing herself with work. If she is not self managing her own happiness (sounds like someone I know.....), who else can you enlist to help her work/life balance (you have to be careful here to do it solo, as it could be perceived as you pushing her to do stuff so you have time to work on the car). But it sounds like she needs more balance in her life. But this needs to be a 360 effort to ensure the message gets through.

Also, regardless of whether it's required or fun, has most of your non-routine couple 'hang time' lately centered around one of the cars? If so, she could be lumping all this (work stress, personal fulfillment, couple time) together and transferring it squarely into your lap...or the car's engine compartment.

OT is right, its a negotiation. Suggest sit with her, tell her that you've heard her, and that you want to work with her to work out a plan so that her, your and the relationship's needs are all met. I know it sounds silly, but it helps define consistent expectations and hopefully drive some behaviour changes. Eventually it will either become routine, and/or you find resentment have dissolved enough you don't need a formal schedule. Suggest alternating taking the lead on defining what to do with couple time. Suggest not making the first few couple activities on your end associated with a car :-), just to avoid resurfacing the perception issue that she already feels your life is car centric. Also, suggest making it a self contained activity until she gets excited about her hobbies..she could feel some anxiety around having a project to finish. Also, maybe think about doing some of that bodywork on her car on your time. Maybe a 'thank you' for all that time you've spent on your M3 (usually that type of thing comes back in spades). Once you get her 'going' on the her time, then you could probably introduce some car-centric couple activities during couple time.

It's not easy, but most divorced couples don't divorce because of family or money issues...it's because they can't effectively communicate and negotiate through the family or money issues. There is a HUGE difference between the two.

P.S. Male or Female. In emotional terms, Perception is reality. You have to change the perception before you can effectively change the reality.

And, finally, you are being a great boyfriend for thinking these things through. Selling a car you love to make a relationship work, without trying intermediate steps to resolve the underlying issue, is only going to make you a miserable boyfriend.

And with that, Lucy has spoken.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lucy-peanuts-1992629-1024-768.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	370452  

"Don't be fooled, she drives with the aggression of a scorned 17 year old"

Last edited by TechieTechie; 04-08-2013 at 08:35 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:38 PM
Back in the game

Mein Auto: 1997 m3
Yikes Ed! Today was not a good day for OT. May the BMW Gods watch over our aging Ultimate Driving Machines tonight.

The shot heard 'round the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36 Phantom View Post
That presenter is getting waaay too worked up over a tarted up VW Golf.

C:\>Sent from my 386 using MS-DOS__
Old 04-08-2013, 08:40 PM
The Canadian Prick.

Mein Auto: '96 328is Cosmos
It won't be too expensive a repair (~$100), just frustrating as today was the first really nice riding day. Now she'll be down about a week to get in the chain. ($tealership would want at least twice that price and still take a few days to get it in).

HAS KEN HAD HIS MEDS YET?
Old 04-08-2013, 08:45 PM
Official Queen of E36 OT

Send a message via AIM to bimmerbarbie
Mein Auto: 93ish 325ish
So, I've been thinking. Since I missed the e36 calendar entirely by my rude disappearance... might we consider another? (Not stepping on any toes here loves, just my thoughts of what would be fun.) And instead of doing just pictures, why not have it a theme contest? Each picture entry featuring not only the season but also a portrayal of our joy of driving, by which I mean WHY we love to drive e36s.

I'd really, really like to do this. What say y'all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36 Phantom View Post
... We all kinda just ignore Amber (barbie) anyway. She's sort of our attitude and eye candy here, that's why we keep her around...
Old 04-08-2013, 08:55 PM

Mein Auto: Bad Luck 46
Wow sorry to heat these things are happening guys.

@Jen- yeah was a hit and run at school last month, work wont start till next week most likely. So Ive been car less

annnd

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ay-mint-or-new

-Dino

Last edited by BMRfanatic; 04-08-2013 at 08:58 PM.
Closed Thread

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
-*nga*-, 12-6 cloud: yes or no?, :3, because racemower!!, chads looking for a new audi, no tag integrity pls, pls stop erasing da damn tags, what's integrity?, whats audi?, you guys crack me up...

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
Today's Posts Search