E70 FS: E70/E71 rear cargo lift brackets/strut kits - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Classifieds > Tools and Miscellaneous

Tools and Miscellaneous
Tools, spare parts, any and everything else.

Old 03-27-2019, 08:43 AM

Mein Auto:
FS: E70/E71 rear cargo lift brackets/strut kits

I have some custom e70/e71 cargo lift bracket and support shock kits that I have developed for sale.
This kit can be used to retrofit newer e70s and e71s that did not come with the bracket and shock from the factory.

I am asking $58 shipped for the kit that includes the bracket, mounting hardware, and a quality aftermarket lift shock.

The lift shock will have a 1 year warranty.

I can also offer the shock alone as a replacement to the stock one for $25 shipped.

The bracket and shock are direct replacements for the OEM units at a lower cost.

Picture of the kit (kits now come powdercoated gloss black):
Click image for larger version

Name:	powdercoated bracket 2.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	845595

Kit installed:

Name:	waterjet cargo bracket installed 2 (Large).jpg
Views:	36
Size:	158.3 KB
ID:	845597

Comparison to original bracket (washers are included with the bolts in the kit but not pictured):

Name:	Cargo bracket original vs waterjet (Large) with txt.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	845599

Background on the shock and bracket:

After recently purchasing a 2007 E70 with a bad lift shock I did some research to find a replacement after being "shocked" at the price of the OEM unit and being surprised that vendors were not offering a cheaper alternative.

I have sold some of the shocks on ebay and recently had requests for the bracket. I looked into adding the bracket to the kit but found the OEM bracket to also be too expensive to really make it worthwhile to sell...

I decided to draw up a custom bracket that is "inspired" by the original and have some made at the local waterjet shop.

After selling a few of my prototypes with good feedback I have had enough demand to make a larger run of them.

I setup a little webpage for ordering them them here: http://rbryant.freeshell.org/bmw_products.htm or feel free to PM me with any questions.

Any money I make on these will go toward paying off my recent e70 4.8i engine replacement that was required after my engine literally drank the water in Mexico last October...

Thanks,

Rich

Last edited by rbryantaz; 03-27-2019 at 08:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2019, 10:07 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Well done.

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

OEM is not what BMW sells

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM
Old 03-28-2019, 03:19 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryantaz View Post
Any money I make on these will go toward paying off my recent e70 4.8i engine replacement that was required after my engine literally drank the water in Mexico last October...

Thanks,

Rich
Yes, well done! I went looking for the story of the drinking problem. Telll us.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2019, 01:39 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
Yes, well done! I went looking for the story of the drinking problem. Telll us.
It is a long and cautionary tale... I suppose I am over it enough to tell it, perhaps it will be therapeutic...

My wife and I went for a long weekend in Mexico near Puerto Penasco just after Hurricane Rosa. We knew that there had been some flooding but did some web searching, made some calls and all seemed well so we decided that puerto penasco had recovered and not to cancel our trip. It was my wife's birthday weekend so we wanted to get away and relax.

This begins a series of about 10 circumstances and mistakes that led to the X5's drinking problem... The first is to not drive through water of course.

When we got into Mexico we could see where the water had come and gone and everything seemed fine. We bought supplies and food (thank god) and then went to head to our rented condo that was 20 miles or so away form the town (near the grand mayan). By this time it was approaching dark and we came upon some water in the road that was about mid wheel high. I looked at it and decided it would be fine to pass as other cars were also going through it and the Mexican police said we could go.

At this point I should have stopped a bit longer, disconnected the front air intakes (ok so I should really have just gone home), etc etc but I didn't because the water was only mid wheel (less than 2ft and I was taking it slow).

We got about 50ft from the end of a 200-300ft flooded area and a pickup truck full of idiots came charging into the water from the other direction. They sent a wake of water that went over my hood (and up to the windsheild). It filled the intake completely full and hydrolocked the engine. Of course they never stopped and there I was...

We were stuck 50ft from the end and literally dead in the water. We had little options and I tried to start it in a panic and it wouldn't turn over at all. It also burned out the starter given that it was under water.

Sadly I had bought the X5 used and also didn't have the reverse lockout tool (I didn't realize what it was at the time). So there I was stuck in the water with no way of getting the X5 into neutral, wading around in water until after dark. I then had this realization that the waterseemed like it was rising rather than getting better. We were very close to just leaving the X5 there and taking a full loss on it or hoping that my mexican insurance would pay it. Afterall there were actually mexican federales there saying that it was fine to cross....

Thankfully several Mexicans went way out of their way to help us.

This really is worthy of a bold line in the story. One found a jacking tool from his truck that fit into the reverse lockout and allowed me to get it into neutral and just gave it to me. He wouldn't even take money for it... Another towed me with an emergency tow strap that I had in an emergency breakdown kit (I recommend everyone have a $30 kit with a tow strap). It should be noted here that they didn't ask for money up front, they just decided that they needed to help. They were willing to tow a 5300lb luxury SUV with two stranded, scared, and frustrated americans out of what was essentially a river. If I actually doubt that anyone in Phoenix would have helped me like they did.

He was towing me with an old chevy truck that had a loose bumper through 2ft of water. He also had tent stakes sticking out about 4ft past it because they were setting up a wedding at the condo we were staying at.... Even more crazy was that I had to hold the thing in reverse with the rigged up bar while my wife drove the X5 and the distance their tent stakes to the front of the X5 was only ft or so given that it was just an emergency tow strap....

So my wife is being towed with no power brakes through water and mud with 5ft of room from a tent stake being jammed into the X5. Meanwhile I am desperately holding a round bar for something like 30 minutes so that it doesn't suddenly come out of neutral and into park which would likely have either destroyed my transmission or pulled their bumper clean off or both... It was one of the more frantic experiences I have had in a car even without being exhausted from being stuck in the "river."

He ended up towing me about 10 miles after dark through two more water passes that just seemed to be getting worse.... I ended up giving them $80 in cash which they didn't really even ask for.

That leads to the other part of the story...

It turns out that an indian reservation started releasing water into mexico to save their village from a dam that was going to fail. This meant that it went right accross the road I was in and the water was rising throughout this ordeal...

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ls/1510761002/

Which flooded the roads here:

Name:	Grand Mayan flood area.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	845787

So the flooding got worse and worse over the weekend while we were stranded.... No cars could come from Puerto Penasco to the Grand Mayan.... The only way out was through Coborca which was a long detour.

It turns out that there is ONE company in Nogales (Gruas Delta) that can tow cars back across the boarder from Mexico to the US. I decided rather than leaving the x5 at the condo to return the next weekend and work on it that I would just tow it via Nogales to Tucson. That way could ride in the tow truck and also get the X5 home.

As for Insurance...

I called the insurance adjuster and they couldn't even get to me because of the road closure. They suggested that I just meet them when in Nogales. We were never really able to meet them because when we got to Nogales they said "oh our adjuster is in Santa Ana" etc. It turns out that they also wouldn't pay unless they determined it was an act of god and even then I would have to leave it in mexico and let them fix it there..... My wife and I decided that trying to fix it there 2.5hrs from Phoenix where they likely wouldn't pay just wasn't worth it and we just skipped the claim. For those of you who travel into mexico I DO NOT recommend Ana Segura insurance. I need to find a better company next time perhaps through AAA or some other company.

Name:	Nogales tow.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	845789

While this shows as 4.3hrs to Nogales, Tuscon was another hour, we had to swap towtrucks to cross the boarder, plus get lunch, then swap trucks again in Tucson to go to Phoenix so it was a VERY long day. It ended up being a $1000 expense and 10 hour journey. We also had to sit 3 wide in the tow truck because he couldn't bring the double cab version given the road conditions... It should also be noted that Junior from Gruas Delta bought us lunch and didn't want a tip for the trip and insisted that "It is all included in the price I quoted." I forced him to take $40 extra which was all that he would take....

A friend then towed me the rest of the way home from Tucson. In retrospect the money was worth it to know that we could get home and I probably should have just paid him to take me to Phoenix rather than asking a friend a favor plus gas and beer money (but it was very nice to have a friend who could help me get the x5 into the garage for the night, etc).

When I got back and got it running it of course knocked. So I then had to get a used engine and spend about 50 hours of my time prepping and swapping in a used 70k mile engine (that had also just had its valve stem seals replaced).

Honestly if the other truck didn't send a wake into my engine it would have been fine but the moral of the story is to not cross water (which of course I already knew and was taking a risk to try and not cancel my wife's birthday weekend). If you do cross water then make sure everyone goes single file and it is also best to follow another vehicle to keep the wake going in one direction. If I had been behind another larger truck it also would have been fine. Disconnecting the intake connection from the kidneys to the airboxes might have saved me too but I am not sure about that.

We were fortunate overall, we had stocked up on supplied, had lots of food and a full kitchen. Others who were stranded at our condo were out of food and were going to the Grand Mayan Hotel who had essentially scraps left. After we left there was a news article about how the Mexican govt had to evacuate 80 people.

Here is the story and a video in the story that shows just how much worse the water got... The water was only in the middle of my wheel logo when my disaster happened. Sadly we also heard that the truck that towed me was also destroyed when he attempted go go back across the next day.

https://www.12news.com/article/news/...o/75-602982532

It was a pretty bad nightmare but we survived and were fine and even the X5 has recovered and is better than it was before hand. Its engine has 45k less miles, has new valve stem seals, and has all new gaskets and seals.

Plus now I have been brought back into the US by a Mexican (legally mind you) but not everyone can say that... It really is a story of the true kindness of Mexicans who helped a stupid american out of a big jam.

Fortunately I have been working on cars for a long time and have a friend at the dealership to advise me. Otherwise it would have been far more than the X5 is worth.

So with that... this project is an attempt to recover some of the expenses from the tow and rebuild...

-Rich
Old 03-29-2019, 03:30 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Oh my! Best wishes.

I grew up in Santa Clara, California, while it was still agriculturally oriented, and spoke childhood Mexican. My only foray south of the border was through Ciudad Acuna to the end of the pavement - a meter high drop off to the unpaved.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Classifieds > Tools and Miscellaneous
Today's Posts Search