headlight! - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 Roadster, E86 Z4 Coupe, E85 Z4 M Roadster, and E86 Z4 M Coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 09-19-2018, 07:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 Mercedes E350 sport
headlight!

So I replace the high beam in the Z4 last week, all was good. This week the low beam goes out! So I go and get a bulb and replace it, I thought it came on for a sec but not sure, but it definitely isn't working! Could it be the igniter? Never dealt with one of those before? Troubling shooting ideas? Or just order an igniter and see if it works?:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2018, 09:29 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinogt4guy View Post
So I replace the high beam in the Z4 last week, all was good. This week the low beam goes out! So I go and get a bulb and replace it, I thought it came on for a sec but not sure, but it definitely isn't working! Could it be the igniter? Never dealt with one of those before? Troubling shooting ideas? Or just order an igniter and see if it works?:
You should have an igniter (starter) only if you have a xenon (HID) headlight. In US version Z4s Xenon headlights the high and low beams are the same bulb. If you have two separate bulbs for high and low beams and an igniter you may have European headlights (xenon + halogen). In either case if your bulbs are burning one after the other check the wiring harness inside the headlight assembly. The insulation is probably gone (common problem) causing shorts.

Instead of ordering parts you may not need use the igniter and or bulb of the opposite working side to test first.

Last edited by Scalpel_Boy; 10-11-2018 at 09:32 PM.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:10 AM

Mein Auto: 325 Ci 2005
Also, open the black port cap on top of the headlight unit and there are three thin wires: red, green and black. These three wires connect into a black rectangle connector, which is plugged into the red igniter. Look carefully for cracks in the wire coating and for broken wires. It is apparently common for these three wires to break - I have solders several back together, but now searching for wire replacement ideas and

And please pass along any wire replacement ideas, parts links, etc. Thank you.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
Today's Posts Search