Spyder Halogen Angel eye headlights for 2004 e85 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 Roadster, E86 Z4 Coupe, E85 Z4 M Roadster, and E86 Z4 M Coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 09-30-2018, 07:43 PM

Mein Auto: e34 535i
Spyder Halogen Angel eye headlights for 2004 e85

I'm looking to replace my 2004 e85 Z4's worn out and fogged up headlights. I saw these:

https://www.protuninglab.com/03bmwz4e85an1.html

And figured it would be great to install a replacement with angel eyes built in! Does anyone have experience with these? I was reading on another forum that they have seal issues and get condensation? Any way to seal these while still allowing for easy bulb replacement?

Is the angel eye on the same circuit as the DRL (all the way to the right) or does it need manual wiring?

Last edited by jonnyd42; 09-30-2018 at 07:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2018, 06:09 PM

Mein Auto:
I have a set I will let go for reasonable. I did get some experience with the install. first, know that they are deeper than the oems. mine has some pressing on the door hatch. Its not a huge deal, the hatch closes. as far as condensation, havent had any I used them all summer, about 3k on the set, but only in better weather. Know for sure they ALL have condensation issues, and oems too. maybe a looksie for the vents and occasional rice bag strapped on will control that.

Mine is 3.0i '04 with convenience group? i think. not sure if I have DRL, I have a carly reader, but havent tested the programming for drl.

there is not a separate power feed for the halo. there is a 5V feeder for the the xenon upgrade in the harness. it doesnt do anything for the Halogen setup. If interested I could run the carly programmer on the DRL options and see if indeed they are available, and possibly useful for the halo rings.

anyways I can load a couple of pics here if further interest.

I bought a set of Hellas to install. Haven't put them in yet.

heres a pict.

G.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2004z1jpg.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	821271  
Old 10-29-2018, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by z4mepp View Post

there is not a separate power feed for the halo. there is a 5V feeder for the the xenon upgrade in the harness. it doesnt do anything for the Halogen setup. If interested I could run the carly programmer on the DRL options and see if indeed they are available, and possibly useful for the halo rings.

anyways I can load a couple of pics here if further interest.

I bought a set of Hellas to install. Haven't put them in yet.

heres a pict.

G.
Hi - how did you wire the halos then? I see there are the red and black leads coming out of the bottom of the headlight assembly and they have to be soldered. I was hoping to wire them to the DRL orange bulb line (I believe that is one click to the right from the off position), but when I used the turn signal I noticed that there doesn't seem to be a separate DRL bulb, and that single orange one does the blinking. As such, I can't wire to that since I don't want the halos to flash when I use my turn signal.

I haven't popped off the bumper yet to do the upgrade, and there might be a separate rail that is a fixed voltage instead of step like the turn signal. I'll have to check with a multimeter, but if you've already found a good setup I'd appreciate the tips!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2018, 03:57 PM

Mein Auto:
havent messed with the car lately, it will be while. setting up garage for heat for winter refurbs. from memory my spyders have 3 leads for leds, 2 are rings and 1 is a pip near the top. they take 12v.

I did not set up the Halos. I did enough meter looks to make sure the harness at least worked for normal driving.

Later on while adjusting some comfort settings, like window continue close settings and lights on follow me home, with Carly, and what not, I noticed that there are DRL options available to set options for. If you don't have a Carly I would highly recommend getting it, and you would have no problem selling it on ebay when done.

Ensuring the DRL options are set to work, then you can test out what is running on one lamp whilst the other is confirmed 0n during the day.

Because the leads are just taped now I don't have a positive result to report for Spyder HALO. I do recall from earlier in the spring, there really wasn't any DRL operating on my car at that time.

If you have DRL running, which wasn't mentioned, then you can probably find the dedicated feed in the harness. My guess its the same as the regular low beam.? therefore not a separate dedicated lead. I checked the spyder site and looked around as well and couldn't find a simple solution, so my guess is its not that simple.

So with this very long winded reply, I realized to get the Halos running as DRL, then you may have to get a 12v source and add an aftermarket daylight sensor and a reversing relay. So that when there is daylight they go on. When the reversing relay senses that the power is on to the beams, then shut down the halos. or leave them on if you want.

thats as far as I got. I have to finish a kitchen project and then will be working on the car. but that said, I got OEMs to put in, so the likely hood I will spend more than 15 minutes on the spyders is pretty low. If I find a fix for the Halos they would sell quickly indeed!

sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

BTW playing with Carly I found out that my passenger window one push button up was actually set to disabled. I cycled the setting and viola, one push window up was fixed. saved me bunch right there for a potential body module refurb. and no it wasn't the well known window auto up reset.
Old 10-31-2018, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by z4mepp View Post
havent messed with the car lately, it will be while. setting up garage for heat for winter refurbs. from memory my spyders have 3 leads for leds, 2 are rings and 1 is a pip near the top. they take 12v.

I did not set up the Halos. I did enough meter looks to make sure the harness at least worked for normal driving.

Later on while adjusting some comfort settings, like window continue close settings and lights on follow me home, with Carly, and what not, I noticed that there are DRL options available to set options for. If you don't have a Carly I would highly recommend getting it, and you would have no problem selling it on ebay when done.

Ensuring the DRL options are set to work, then you can test out what is running on one lamp whilst the other is confirmed 0n during the day.

Because the leads are just taped now I don't have a positive result to report for Spyder HALO. I do recall from earlier in the spring, there really wasn't any DRL operating on my car at that time.

If you have DRL running, which wasn't mentioned, then you can probably find the dedicated feed in the harness. My guess its the same as the regular low beam.? therefore not a separate dedicated lead. I checked the spyder site and looked around as well and couldn't find a simple solution, so my guess is its not that simple.

So with this very long winded reply, I realized to get the Halos running as DRL, then you may have to get a 12v source and add an aftermarket daylight sensor and a reversing relay. So that when there is daylight they go on. When the reversing relay senses that the power is on to the beams, then shut down the halos. or leave them on if you want.

thats as far as I got. I have to finish a kitchen project and then will be working on the car. but that said, I got OEMs to put in, so the likely hood I will spend more than 15 minutes on the spyders is pretty low. If I find a fix for the Halos they would sell quickly indeed!

sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

BTW playing with Carly I found out that my passenger window one push button up was actually set to disabled. I cycled the setting and viola, one push window up was fixed. saved me bunch right there for a potential body module refurb. and no it wasn't the well known window auto up reset.
Which Carly did you get?
Old 11-01-2018, 08:17 PM

Mein Auto:
https://www.mycarly.com/ current version and u need the wifi adapter.
Old 11-29-2018, 04:21 PM

Mein Auto: e85 3.0 manual
These look like the Sonar lights I have on my e85.

The previous owner connected the drl/angel eyes/halos to the park light without one of those LED pulse decoder thingamooboobies, eventually I found out the halos flashed when the park lights were on. I'm pretty sure it was the cause of my battery drain over the course of 10 days!

I cut the wires, using a fusetap from the fusebox, chose fuse 33 to tap from which is only powered when engine is on. Ran the positive to cables to join up the 2x 3 positive cables, and 2 ground wires to the chassis. Placed the live cable into shielding so it looks OEM. Took about 1hour to do. Very simple and works well.

Truthfully, the halos aren't too bright on the Sonars, so I'll just leave them on, no need for light sensor complexity.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
headlights

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
Today's Posts Search