Storage solutions - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 Roadster, E86 Z4 Coupe, E85 Z4 M Roadster, and E86 Z4 M Coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 04-22-2015, 12:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 Z4 3.0i 6spd
Storage solutions

What's with the lack of in-cabin storage? Is the middle storage compartment the only place that will hold anything thicker than a sheet of paper? The curves on my M sport seats make it hard to turn back and grab my sunglasses while the car is in motion. Does anyone have a better storage location for some basic items that I need to store:
-sunglasses
-water bottle (I tend to get thirsty and keep 6 backup water bottles in the center console of my truck. I'm only asking to store 1 backup water bottle in my Z4.)
-garage door opener

Here are the aftermarket storage solutions that I've found. Any opinions would be appreciated.
1) first aid kit storage box (10" x 3.5" x 3.5") that goes under the driver seat to hold my sunglasses. $63
2) parcel net in the footwell. Not sure if it's big enough to hold anything, but for $27 I might as well give it a try.
3) LeatherZ armrest storage for my garage door opener and other knick knacks. $100
4) Ultimate Cupholder for a spare water bottle. $25
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2015, 01:44 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 M (2007)
I store a bottle/can in the cup-holder. The problem is that it's on my way on entering and especially on exiting the car. Needles to mention the consequences - spilled drinks and a broken cup-holder... No idea how big your garage door opener is, I imagine it's not bigger than the fob. If it's bigger probably it's worth considering mounting it at the cover of the first-aid kit under the seat. Sunglasses are a problem though so maybe the best place for them is the ashtray. Not valid if you use it... I keep them on my head usually. Another practical place for them is the pocket of the driver's door.
Old 04-22-2015, 01:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 M Coupe
Why not use the sun glass compartment to hold your sunglasses?

I can vouch for the LeatherZ under seat storage boxes and arm rest storage compartment.

The under seat boxes aren't really very large, so you won't be able to fit a lot into them (about a water bottle of space in each)
The arm rest storage compartment is great. Really quite cavernous.

the passenger side netting can hold a case for sunglasses but that's about it. That's what I've got it doing right now.

I mounted my garage door opener in the small storage area in the door with some mounting tape. Nothing really fits in there anyway so it's out of the way and hidden, but easy to reach.

Last edited by Jfedorczyk; 04-22-2015 at 01:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2015, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladi View Post
I store a bottle/can in the cup-holder. The problem is that it's on my way on entering and especially on exiting the car. Needles to mention the consequences - spilled drinks and a broken cup-holder... No idea how big your garage door opener is, I imagine it's not bigger than the fob. If it's bigger probably it's worth considering mounting it at the cover of the first-aid kit under the seat. Sunglasses are a problem though so maybe the best place for them is the ashtray. Not valid if you use it... I keep them on my head usually. Another practical place for them is the pocket of the driver's door.
I only use the cup holder if I'm drinking something at the moment. Otherwise, it would get in the way if I keep a water bottle in there all the time. I suppose I can just keep the ashtray compartment open and rest my sunglasses on it when I'm parked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfedorczyk View Post

I can vouch for the LeatherZ under seat storage boxes and arm rest storage compartment.

the passenger side netting can hold a case for sunglasses but that's about it. That's what I've got it doing right now.

I mounted my garage door opener in the small storage area in the door with some mounting tape. Nothing really fits in there anyway so it's out of the way and hidden, but easy to reach.
I keep reaching up there by the map light because it looks like there should be a retractable sunglass compartment, but it's just a piece of hard plastic. This is the only car I've ever owned that doesn't have a hidden compartment in that location. Did the 06-08 models come with a hidden compartment?
EDIT: I just realized it's probably a coupe vs roadster thing, since roadsters don't have any space up in the roof like coupes do. On the other hand, what the hell kind of engineer gives a coupe a sunglass holder, but not a roadster? BMW needs to hire a UI designer.

Thanks for the comment. Looks like my best bet is to get the armrest storage compartment to hold random stuff like a pack of tissues, tire gauge, a roll of quarters, pen & paper, etc...

Last edited by Twixboy; 04-22-2015 at 02:25 PM.
Old 04-22-2015, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfedorczyk View Post

The under seat boxes aren't really very large, so you won't be able to fit a lot into them (about a water bottle of space in each)

Arm-rest storage? I have never seen such on a Z4. Don't you mean the central storage behind the seats?
I would not store sunglasses in the net since it compresses and deforms it. Needless to say it can get hit by the knee of the passenger. IMHO, the glove-box is a better option although it's more difficult to reach.
Old 04-22-2015, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Arm-rest storage? I have never seen such on a Z4. Don't you mean the central storage behind the seats?
I would not store sunglasses in the net since it compresses and deforms it. Needless to say it can get hit by the knee of the passenger. IMHO, the glove-box is a better option although it's more difficult to reach.
This one:
http://leatherz.com/product/Mark4.html
Old 04-22-2015, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twixboy View Post
Ah, OK! Silly me, I thought Jfedorczyk meant an original storage...
Old 04-22-2015, 04:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4MC , Corrado G60
LeatherZ arm rest for cell phone and sunglasses. Sunglass holder near dome light is too small to hold my sunglasses.
First aid box under seat for stuff you don't need to get to on a daily bases because the hinge is not meant for repeated use. I have them under both seats, about $30 for the pair from my local dealer. I also lined them with felt since they are thin hollow plastic boxes and noisy plus it reenforced the hinge.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:01 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 2.5i 2003
I think it would be really hard to shift with the armrest.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmasone View Post
I think it would be really hard to shift with the armrest.
Maybe for short people...
Old 04-23-2015, 05:19 AM

Mein Auto: Z4 2.5i 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
i'm not short and I would think the angle of my arm would change drastically enough to make shifting a chore.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 Z4 2.5
Quote:
Arm-rest storage?
Storage area in the door panel below the arm rest.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalali View Post
Storage area in the door panel below the arm rest.
Yeah, I think that's what he meant now that I think about it. It's so small I just noticed it for the first time this morning. Works well for my garage door opener and tire pressure gauge. I'm still thinking of getting the LeatherZ armrest storage so I have a place to rest my right arm while driving.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmasone View Post
i'm not short and I would think the angle of my arm would change drastically enough to make shifting a chore.
Depends how you hold the stick I guess. Do keep your palm on top or do you grab from the side? I think if you shift with the palm on top then it's fine.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:38 AM

Mein Auto: Toyota
Quote:
That's interesting and looks close to OEM. I really like how my arm hangs on the existing armrest, this might be too high for me.

I agree with you about the lack of storage but I don't lament it because it's not exactly a SUV. I keep a fleece in the trunk in case top down is a little breezy and a few water bottles. In the storage box I keep my raybans in a case, my Valentine One, owners manual, and registration and insurance.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
My elbow would 100% interfere with this armrest. It's simply too high. I don't think it's a question of body height but rather of angles. No matter how tall or short you are, your forearm is supposed to be placed on the armrest. If the top of the gearshift lever is way below or way above the level of your hand, it would make gear shifting a bit of a problem. Not a big issue for automatic gearboxes but a real pain for sticks. I find the OEM geometry really perfect so don't think three inches on the central armrest will be a good thing.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Depends how you hold the stick I guess. Do keep your palm on top or do you grab from the side? I think if you shift with the palm on top then it's fine.
Very true!
Old 04-23-2015, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwclubracer View Post
That's interesting and looks close to OEM. I really like how my arm hangs on the existing armrest, this might be too high for me.

I agree with you about the lack of storage but I don't lament it because it's not exactly a SUV. I keep a fleece in the trunk in case top down is a little breezy and a few water bottles. In the storage box I keep my raybans in a case, my Valentine One, owners manual, and registration and insurance.
What existing armrest? I just have a parking brake with nothing over it. I leave my central storage compartment door open so my elbow has something to rest on, but it's still too low for me and the hard plastic isn't very comfortable.

This morning I turned around to grab my parking pass from the rear central storage compartment and my back almost wouldn't let me do it! I think I'm getting old or something. I had to literally turn my butt sideways in order to reach into that compartment, which isn't easy to do with the M sport seats hugging me.

That's a good idea - to leave emergency items in the trunk. I'll have to get a storage box for that.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:58 AM

Quote:
My elbow would 100% interfere with this armrest. It's simply too high. I don't think it's a question of body height but rather of angles. No matter how tall or short you are, your forearm is supposed to be placed on the armrest. If the top of the gearshift lever is way below or way above the level of your hand, it would make gear shifting a bit of a problem. Not a big issue for automatic gearboxes but a real pain for sticks. I find the OEM geometry really perfect so don't think three inches on the central armrest will be a good thing.
From the picture it looks like the top of the armrest is still below the shifter. Just enough to grab. But like you said it all depends on the arm angle and there's really no way to be sure if it works for you until you try it out.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:42 AM

Mein Auto: Z4 3.0i
I have a Roadster Solutions armrest in Imola Red that I purchased used from here or the other Z forum. I never installed it as placing it where it needs to be does affect my shifting. If anyone wants to take it off my hands, let me know.

I store my sunglasses in the door pockets or on around the shifter when parked. Water in the Ultimate cup holder. Hats, radar detector when parked, ipod, handgun and gas receipts in the center compartment. Paper Missouri map in the glove box. Everything else in the trunk.

Steve
Old 04-23-2015, 12:21 PM

Quote:
From the picture it looks like the top of the armrest is still below the shifter. Just enough to grab. But like you said it all depends on the arm angle and there's really no way to be sure if it works for you until you try it out.

Yep, fully agree!
Old 04-23-2015, 02:17 PM

Mein Auto: Toyota
Quote:
What existing armrest? I just have a parking brake with nothing over it. I leave my central storage compartment door open so my elbow has something to rest on, but it's still too low for me and the hard plastic isn't very comfortable.
There's a little pad behind the parking brake. I guess it's not an armrest but it's comfortable enough for me to rest my elbow there and it doesn't interfere with shifting. I will roll with the compartment door open if I find myself grabbing stuff. I'm just afraid I'll break the door.
Old 04-23-2015, 04:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 M Coupe

My long arms aren't impacted by the slight raise in height. Did take a day to adjust but now I like the arm position better than without it. I also have a ZHP shifter installed so it's a little lower than OEM.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:27 PM

Quote:
The taller you are the higher your elbow might be unless you have ape length arms. If you're taller you can easily lift your elbow off the armrest while shifting if you want. The leatherZ armrest is perfect for me and it never gets in the way of shifting. It's the same height as the arm rest on the door so I have a place for both elbows at equal height making the car much more comfortable. I have a F10 M5 lighted shift knob and it's higher than the armrest. This armrest may not be for everyone, but I wouldn't want to be without it and several others I know feel the same. More cars nowadays have armrest than not.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 Z4 3.0I / 2011 328XI
The trunk fits a set of golf clubs or luggage.

Storage issues for a pair of shades and a garage door opener..... in three years this has never been an issue or even crossed the mind.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
Today's Posts Search