Handy home mechanic in Ann Arbor/Detroit area? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Bimmerfest Regional > Regional Forums > Great Lakes Region - IL, IN, MI, MN, OH, and WI

Great Lakes Region - IL, IN, MI, MN, OH, and WI
Regional forum for members in IL, IN, MI, MN, OH, and WI.

Old 12-28-2016, 07:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535 Xdrive
Handy home mechanic in Ann Arbor/Detroit area?

I'm facing the dreaded 4x4-ABS-Brake light trifecta on my 2008 X3 - the transfer case actuator gear. Looking at all the DIYs it seems like I could do it at home, but with wife 2 kids and a sh*t load of other things to take care of, I don't know when I could.
Don't want to take it to the stealership or a my usual shop, those guys wouldn't be willing to repair the actuator (I've already ordered the replacement plastic gear from amazon).

Anyone around Ann Arbor/Detroit that is handy with BMWs and has a home garage that might be willing to take on this job? Willing to pay for your time. Also if you know of any mechanics that take on jobs privately in this area please let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2016, 08:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535 Xdrive
So I decided to take a chance on a craigslist mechanic for this job. Emailed a guy named Tim Labadie, ordered the replacement part on Amazon and set up an appointment for this morning. Best $100 bucks I ever spent. He showed up on time in a van full of tools, had reviewed the videos on youtube beforehand (he had not done this specific job before), and had no issues getting the actuator off. Only tricky part was taking the cover plate off the actuator to get to the plastic gear. But everything went smoothly, and 90 minutes later, no more fault code, no more clicking sound.

If anyone is interested in getting this job done in the Ann Arbor area, feel free to email tim. His email is [email protected]

Last edited by ezrider1978; 12-31-2016 at 08:41 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-17-2019, 07:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2003x5 3.o
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrider1978 View Post
So I decided to take a chance on a craigslist mechanic for this job. Emailed a guy named Tim Labadie, ordered the replacement part on Amazon and set up an appointment for this morning. Best $100 bucks I ever spent. He showed up on time in a van full of tools, had reviewed the videos on youtube beforehand (he had not done this specific job before), and had no issues getting the actuator off. Only tricky part was taking the cover plate off the actuator to get to the plastic gear. But everything went smoothly, and 90 minutes later, no more fault code, no more clicking sound.

If anyone is interested in getting this job done in the Ann Arbor area, feel free to email tim. His email is [email protected]

Dang, wish he was in the U.P. Mich

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Bimmerfest Regional > Regional Forums > Great Lakes Region - IL, IN, MI, MN, OH, and WI
Today's Posts Search