BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2012 BMW 328xi versus 2012 SAAB 9.3 Griffin Aero XWD

8K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  SilverX3 
#1 ·
I'm considering looking at the new 2012 BMW 3-series, if it has the more fuel efficient 4 cylinder Turbo engine (240hp/258 torque). I've owned 2 previous SAABs 2008/2009 XWD and really loved the SAABs. It's interesting that BMW is going the route of turbo-charging which SAAB has been doing for years....I've never driven a BMW, but I'm told they handle very nicely.I 've always taken to SAABs because BMWs are so common and everybody drives them in the USA.....not very original.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
The Saab 9-3 is so ridiculously outdated right now, I can't imagine why anyone would buy one. Once they come out with a new version in a year or two (if Saab is still in business) it might be nice, but the current 9-3 is ancient by automotive standards. It was launched in 2003, but is built on an even older GM platform.

#4 ·
SAAB's are ridiculously inferior technology-wise. Couple that with the possibility of not being around in a few years, it's a pretty easy decision. Unless you are a bad driver, stick with SAAB. We have a running joke at the hospital, and individual lists on how many times a day we get cut off by a SAAB/SAAB driver. Now before you take offense, don't. Boston drivers are awful. Boston SAAB drivers are worse than awful. ;)

#5 ·
Yes.....330ximd....SAABs are very popular in New England....I was just in Boston in Sept 2010 for the first time coming back from Europe.....I saw a lot of SAABs in Boston....Please don't take this the wrong way....but Bostonians are not friendly....New York City residents are actually quite friendly.....I just did not get good vibes in Boston....although the Museum of Fine Arts is fantastic or out of this world in terms of art collection....was really impressed...But Boston is very clean...educated...I'm a Registered Nurse (RN MSN) finishing my MBA.....Well back to BMWs and SAABs....Lets wait and see what kind of gas mileage the new 2012 BMW 328xi with the 4 cylinder twin-turbo has to offer...I drove a 2009 SAAB 9.3 XWD....really loved the Haldex all wheel drive system...State of the Art....Plus...many people drive BMWs in Columbus Ohio....UGH.

#7 ·
Sorry you had a bad experience in Boston. I am from Pittsburgh, been in Boston for years, and I am still amazed at some of the angry driving I have witnessed here. Next time you are in Boston, pm me, will introduce you to some nicer Bostonians, and first round's on me.

As for the SAAB all wheel...the system hasn't changed in a while...although Audi's quattro is really good, I would go BMW over that, and Audi over SAAB any day...SAAB is a dying brand now.

#9 ·
I'm considering looking at the new 2012 BMW 3-series, if it has the more fuel efficient 4 cylinder Turbo engine (240hp/258 torque).

I 've always taken to SAABs because BMWs are so common and everybody drives them in the USA.....not very original.
Since the 2012 BMW isn't out yet, you will have a tough time seeing one. I think you should stick with SAABs -- great cars and not that common.

#15 ·
So, what's your point and what are you asking?

The Pontiac Aztec (not that I am comparing it to the SAABs or the BMWs) is also not very common, so does that make it "better"?

Instead of rambling about a product you don't know about and don't have enough interest to test drive, how about doing a little more homework and asking real questions?

Just my 2 cents.

It's official....I went out today 05/11/2011 and purchased a 2011 Audi A4 Premium Plus.....I no longer have the 2011 Honda Insight EX (hybrid)......I'm an Audi man.....lovely car....lovely interior.....I'm quite impressed.
Happy for you, but I have no idea what this has to do with the f30 or the SAAB in discussion here. I am sure your Audi is lovely, but what were you trying to say about this subject?

#17 · (Edited)
Saabs were cool cars once, and by all indications Spyker is going to try to make them cool again. I've seen the current 9-5, which admittedly still has lots of GM (Opel) parts in it, compared favorably to the F10 535. The next 9-3, if it ever makes it to market, will be nothing like the GM product we've been seeing for the last several years.

But alas, Spyker is already in trouble on funding for Saab, and is seeking stop-gap working capital funding from one of several Chinese investors.

I actually told myself I would take a look at the new 9-3 when it's ready. Evidently Spyker has promised to bring the hatch back, which I thought differentiated Saabs. But at this point I doubt they will make it out of 2011 alive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.