Replacement Windscreen Rubber
Usual disclaimer - do it at your own risk bla bla bla.
This is to replace the windshield rubber trim that surrounds the top and sides of the front screen, over time this will crack and generally look awful, mine got to the point where bits were starting to flake off so needed replacing, on removal however, I did see that underneath it was still doing it's job and keeping the water out, it was just the outer section that's exposed to the elements and that you can see that was degrading.
On realOEM the part number is 51317008911 and called a "Cover, windshield". This part number covers the entire E63/64 lineup from 630i up to M6 and from 02 - 10, so no updates or changes to consider here.
I didn't get too many pics as the job is ridiculously easy to carry out and very quick (about 20 mins start to finish) to do but I've documented it here as there's a couple of things not mentioned in some of the vids and write ups I've seen.
Here are the only two tools I needed for the job, pair of hook nose pliers and a hooked plastic trim removal tool, the only other bits I used was a spray bottle with some washing up liquid/water mix, some 50/50 mix isopropyl alcohol and some cleaning cloths.
If you plan on washing your car do it after this job .
I started at the bottom of the screen, you don't have to remove the lower windshield cowling but it does help if you slide off the cover clips from the pins closest to the windscreen rubber, this allows you to just lift the cowling edge and gives you a bit better angle of attack to lift out the rubber, try to start lifting the rubber out with the trim removal tool first (it will be tight) once you've got enough to get hold of then you can use the pliers to pull the rest up and out.
Do this for both the sides first leaving the top til last, reason being that you may find one or both of the top corners tear off meaning you need to work a new bit loose again before continuing to pull the top out and trying to get a top part loose is a lot harder as the rubber is a bit thinner here and you'll have less to get hold of, if you can get it to come out all in one then your quids in .
The top is the worst bit, not because it's difficult to remove but because if it's cracked it will send bits of rubber flying all over the car as you pull it free, watch your eyes, I really do mean it when I say bits go everywhere.
Once it's all out it's time for a clean up, there'll be debris and dirt all throughout the channel for the rubber and it needs to be spotless so the new rubber makes a good seal all round the screen, this is another part where undoing the cowling edges helps since the debris will have made it's under there too.
Once the channels are all clear you can start fitting the new seal, start at one of the top corners first, I sprayed the top section with the washing up liquid mix so I could move the rubber from side to side if needed, although this does give you the freedom of movement what I actually found was that the rubber is cut to very specific tolerances so if you get the very edge of the corner lined up with the edge of the side frame (see pic below) it should line up perfectly on the other side, you just have to watch it when you start to press the rubber in as it may come away from that edge.
As you can see from the pics I was ever so slightly over on one side as the rubber didn't quite meet the edge on one and was slightly folded over on the other, that's where the washing up liquid made life easier to adjust it, it would have mean't pulling the whole rubber out and starting again otherwise.
For the top section you don't need any tools at all, it will simply press into place with your thumb, if your a short bugger like me you'll probably need to open the doors so you can stand on the sill when you get closer to the middle of the windshield.
Make sure the top is all lined up nice on both sides and then you can start pressing in the sides and work your way down, I didn't get a pic of it but there is a thin rubber lip that you need to make sure fits under the screen glass, you'll know it when you take a close look.
The trim removal tool makes light work of pressing the sides in as there's a channel set in the rubber, your looking for a sort of hooking motion by pressing the rubber straight in and sort of under the glass, I don't mean hooking the tool right under though your just looking to push the rubber in that direction, the tool won't allow you to get under there anyway, what you'll find is that you can do the hard part with the tool and later press the rubber into it's proper seated position with your fingers.
Here's a pic of the channel the tool fits in.
Towards the top of that pic you can see where I seated the rubber properly with my fingers so the two edges of the rubber meet and the channel almost disappears.
It's also worth mentioning that once it was all in place I did find I had quite a bit extra seal at the bottoms which I needed to trim up a bit so it met the lower windshield cowl properly.
Now that's done you'll want to wash your car and get rid of all those old bits of rubber that flew everywhere and clean up any marks left from the washing up liquid and isopropyl during the cleaning stage.
Once done it's time for a beer .
Toyota Hilux Surf 3.0
|See More Related BMW Stories|
|Today's Posts Search|