1988 e32 735i 5 Speed Manual - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - E23 / E32 (1977 - 1994)

7 Series - E23 / E32 (1977 - 1994)

Old 09-11-2019, 11:14 PM

Mein Auto: 97 e39i, 86 e24, 88 e32
1988 e32 735i 5 Speed Manual

I recently had the chance to re-acquire the 1988 e32 735i I bought back in 2000, and which I sold years later when I moved and I was forced to sell almost all of my 18 cars at the time. Te ones I didn't sell then got sold later along the way.

I will likely never get my e24 and e23 B9 Aplinas back, and even finding a 535is as nice as the one I had is financially not doable.

But I did manage to acquire a nice (US model) e24 I am working on, and now have my old e32 5spd back, and would like to get it back to the condition in which I let go of it over a decade ago.

I have to be practical, though, and the question I have to answer is how much I can have in the car and not be too upside down financially (I am older, retired and on a fixed income now).

There just don't seem to be any factory 5spd e32's around I can find to get an idea of their market value. I know they are not and will never be true collector cars, but I have to believe decent ones will have some quantifiable value.

Mine is cosmetically quite decent (or will soon be). It's Bronzit Beige with clearcoat sun burn on the hood/top/trunk lid (which I will sand w/ 600 grit to the old basecoat, respray with basecoat, and then clearcoat. The rest of the body and paint are good (a dent in the RF fender I will repair and paint). The interior is OK, with brown leather is very good condition (no damage or wear on seats), no dash cracking, an inop sunroof (which I hope to fix) and a decent headliner. Running wise, it is still the same M30B35 butter smooth engine, smooth transmission and unique combination of ride and handling I always liked about the e32, with the bonus of 28mpg (better than non-B35 versions I had in other chassis). The climate control system is the usual e32 that was always less than perfect, but usable.

I understand there were originally 1100 manual e32 735i cars imported into the US, and I suppose some auto cars were converted to manuals, but I can't imagine many still exist in unmolested condition (mine has an Alpine stereo installed, but is otherwise stock). I just don't see any of these cars on BAT or elsewhere to guess.

Bottom line, anyone have a guess what I could have into this car and not be considered a complete idiot? We all say we will never sell our cars, but eventually most of us do (even the cars like I once had I swore I'd never sell, and speaking of idiots, did I mention the restored E9 3.0CS I sold in 2000 for only $9500 thinking I'd done very well?)

Bob

Last edited by bobinyelm; 09-11-2019 at 11:18 PM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - E23 / E32 (1977 - 1994)
Today's Posts Search