Battery Replacement - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - 2017)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - 2017)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo - 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 08-09-2014, 09:23 PM

Mein Auto: 535i GT
Battery Replacement

Hi again,

It has been a couple of years since I posted here about replacing my battery. I have managed to prolonged the battery life by using a battery tender but now it's not keeping sufficient charge.

I like to ask for your opinion since a local garage has recommended replacing my AGM battery with a non AGM battery, AGMs are hard to find and very expensive in Thailand. The mechanics say that the car can be reprogram, or registered, to accept non AGM battery but I could not find any information for the requirement or what type of battery my car can accept.

Please help again and advise if it's OK to go with the advise on using non AGM battery.

Thanks!

BMW 535i GT 2010 mod.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2014, 05:05 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT; i3 BEV
AGM batteries are better at deeper discharging than 'normal' lead-acid ones, so replacing it with a normal one, might not be economical as you might need to replace it sooner. I do remember that you can tell the car the size of the new battery, but do not remember if there is a software switch to say it is a non-agm type...there might be. If you go to the programming forum, you can find the options available.

For those not familiar with battery replacement in the GT and in many BMW vehicles, the computer adjusts the charge/discharge program based on the battery size, age, and (maybe) the type of battery installed, so it is important to not only just replace the thing, but to also tell the computer about what you used as the replacement. The car has some significant power drains, so it is a big, fairly expensive battery.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post
AGM batteries are better at deeper discharging than 'normal' lead-acid ones, so replacing it with a normal one, might not be economical as you might need to replace it sooner. I do remember that you can tell the car the size of the new battery, but do not remember if there is a software switch to say it is a non-agm type...there might be. If you go to the programming forum, you can find the options available.

For those not familiar with battery replacement in the GT and in many BMW vehicles, the computer adjusts the charge/discharge program based on the battery size, age, and (maybe) the type of battery installed, so it is important to not only just replace the thing, but to also tell the computer about what you used as the replacement. The car has some significant power drains, so it is a big, fairly expensive battery.
Wouldn't "registering" the battery solve this need? That's for any modern BMW with an intelligent battery sensor (IBS).

I had the dealer change the 328's battery as it wasn't holding up very well. The car is 4 years old. The GT seems to be going strong though it sees very little daily duty of about 6 miles, all city driving. It is our "long trips" car and I try taking as weekend drives in it as possible just to exercise the motor and delay the inevitable carbon build-up...

2015 911 Carrera GTS
2013 E92 M3 Limerock Edition
2011 328xi
2011 535xi GT
Porsche CVRPCA
BMW CCA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2014, 06:59 PM

The GT has a clutch on the alternator so the alternator is set to only turn on under certain conditions (primarily when you are decelerating). As a result, it does not keep the battery fully charged all of the time, and short trips may not provide enough charging opportunities to keep it fully up. I do not know when they added this feature to any of their other cars, or even if they have. An AGM battery is designed to handle deeper discharges than a regular battery. Changing the operation to a non-AGM one might work, but it would also probably mean the alternator would be running much more often, affecting smoothness and fuel. Something to discuss with the dealer or someone that actually knows for sure.

Depending on the normal temperature, and the vehicle use, extreme heat will shorten the life of any battery, and especially if you take lots of short trips.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:04 AM
Rogue2258

Mein Auto: 2010 550i GT, 2016 X6
So registering the battery requires going to a repair shop with the proper diagnostic tool correct.? My question in regards to battery replacement is are we able to throw a new battery in and go? The charging system will not be reset to recognize the new battery, but it will start the car and operate normally other than the fact that it may not be recharging the new battery properly.?? The way that I feel like battery replacement was explained by the dealer is that if I did not have the dealership install the battery then my GT would not even start.

The dealer told me I could not replace an airbag without resetting the computer...false.

The dealer told me I could not change my oil...false. Oil change interval in the computer yes..but oil change is just like it has always been.

The dealer told me I could not change my oil level sensor without a computer....false.

They seem to want to create a false reality in which you can't do any repairs without their devine intervention.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:25 AM

Mein Auto: '17 540xDrive; '98 Z3 2.8
Exclamation AGM vs conventional "wet" battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTThailand View Post
Hi again,

It has been a couple of years since I posted here about replacing my battery. I have managed to prolonged the battery life by using a battery tender but now it's not keeping sufficient charge.

I like to ask for your opinion since a local garage has recommended replacing my AGM battery with a non AGM battery, AGMs are hard to find and very expensive in Thailand. The mechanics say that the car can be reprogram, or registered, to accept non AGM battery but I could not find any information for the requirement or what type of battery my car can accept.

Please help again and advise if it's OK to go with the advise on using non AGM battery.

Thanks!

BMW 535i GT 2010 mod.
AGMs have characteristics that are better suited to meet the electrical demands of our newer cars. If you're finding battery failures even with the use of a battery tender I suspect you have something else going wrong that is drawing down your battery. And unless corrected I suspect it will kill a conventional battery even quicker.

I recommend you find a service center/mechanic who knows their way around the car's electrical components and s/w before you resort to parts-swapping and hope as your strategy.
"Seek and ye shall find" - start with your owner's manual!

Click on the MrRebates logo/link for cash back savings at on-line stores like Tirerack!Mr. Rebates
Old 08-22-2014, 08:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 535xi GT
I would agree that if a battery tender does not keep it charged then the battery is likely bad. In other threads I I shared my extreme cold weather/short trip experience where the vehicle shut down certain systems (as intended) to preserve power for starting and windshield defroster.

After two incidents in two weeks under identical conditions (distance driven, time of day, external temperature etc) I took it in and the dealer put the battery on a high amperage charge for 6 hours. The battery voltage before and after was 8 volts so they replaced the battery under warranty.

I have had no issues since but I have a tender for winter or an extended period of non-use) make sure I push the Stop button is pushed twice, and 'coast' where I can to let the RBS keep the battery as charged as possible.

I would not replace an AGM battery with a conventional one given the nature of the GT's electrial system and the 'customers' it supports. There was a reason that BMW engineers selected an AGM battery for reasons that jadnashuanh has explained so well.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile appo
Old 08-22-2014, 04:23 PM

The charging curve and voltage levels vary based on the type of battery and the size of it. THen, the battery characteristics change a bit as they age. The computer takes care of this based on when the battery was installed, its size, and capacity. Get it wrong, and the car could be trying to overcharge the battery which will shorten its life, or possibly not fully charge it, depending on the current settings and the type installed.

Yes, the car will function by just replacing the battery, but you may not like the life or performance.
Old 08-23-2014, 06:57 AM
Rogue2258

Thanks Jad. I assume the battery would function fine, but our dealers create just enough mystery to make you doubt your own intellect. One dealer here quoted us $500 to put a new battery in when we first purchased our GT. Since that dollar figure was thrown out, I have always been concerned over what would happen if I just threw a battery in the back myself. The dealer we purchased our GT from put a new battery in so it is a repair I have not had to do myself yet.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:38 AM
There is no spoon

Mein Auto: 2010 F07, 2017 F31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue2258 View Post
Thanks Jad. I assume the battery would function fine, but our dealers create just enough mystery to make you doubt your own intellect. One dealer here quoted us $500 to put a new battery in when we first purchased our GT. Since that dollar figure was thrown out, I have always been concerned over what would happen if I just threw a battery in the back myself. The dealer we purchased our GT from put a new battery in so it is a repair I have not had to do myself yet.
This is where purchasing the obd connector and getting comfortable with the coding forum would be of benefit. Afaik, all that is required is coding for the new battery and not an actual diagnostic tool. I am close to having to do this for our Audi...they actually have a code on their OEM batteries that needs to be input.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-23-2014, 10:56 AM
Rogue2258

Daders could you explain in grade school level terms what device an OBD connector would plug into. I have heard mention of a few different code readers, but I have also seen the large computer style reader that my Indy guy has. If I invest in something I would like it to be useful for more than just resetting an emissions code. I remember Jad discussing this a few years ago I think.? Purchasing a decent machine that could communicate with our GT's seems like a more logical purchase as our GT gets up in age.

At the very least I should search the coding forum and see what the computer savvy guys are recommending. I appreciate you shinning a light on this area of ownership. Your always bring a broad array of insight to our ownership experience. Thank you sir.!

Old 08-23-2014, 12:53 PM

The BMW's OBD connector has not only the 'conventional' signals any reader can access, but it also has what amounts to an Ethernet port that has some proprietary information on it. You need a cable that has those pins connected properly that terminates into an Ethernet plug for your computer so that you can then talk to the car and program it. The software to do this is available, but the interpreting of the data, editing it, and then programming it back into the car is not hard, but a bit convoluted. The tools are not designed to be idiot proof, and there's a definite learning curve. There are literally thousands of software switches, and most of them have an enable/disable function, and some have additional parameters. You'll spend some time and money working it out for yourself, and the files needed are not small, so if you have a slow internet connection, be prepared for that to take time. The software is picky about the operating system you have as well, (doesn't seem to work well with the latest WIN platforms), so you may need to find an older machine to play with or load an older version of WIN onto it.
Old 08-23-2014, 06:52 PM
There is no spoon

Battery Replacement

Below is a nice example of a wireless OBD (on-board diagnostic) device I may consider purchasing for convenience sake even though I already have a wired version. There are plenty for sale at varying price points and functionality that can be found on the internet. Frankly the software is the important part and I don't know if the E-sys and psdzdaten files that the coding guys talk about will show any faults the car throws as I have yet to get into the coding due to a combination of wanting to read PDFs they have posted, apprehension to mess with software and laziness to clear a dedicate PC laptop.

Anyway here is the link for the connector: http://www.xcar360.com/elm327-wifi-w...interface.html

EDIT: the OBD port is located under the steering wheel where your left knee would be if we had a manual transmission clutch.

Last edited by daders; 08-23-2014 at 06:54 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:24 AM

Mein Auto: 535i GT
Thank you all for your inputs. Just to update I am happy to report that all my issues have been addressed and corrected by a combination of using the knowledge I learned here and by finding a good mechanic.

Briefly here is what I did:

1. Upon opening up the rear space to replace the battery we, the mechanic and I, noticed immediately that the battery was not an AGM type. I believe the importer of my car had replaced the original AGM battery with a cheaper 95 amp lead acid type. Some of the issues I had in the car were the constant "increase battery discharge" warnings and flickering of the command screen in navigation mode.

2. The new battery I put in is a 115 amp AGM battery but the mechanic had to enlarged the battery seats as a larger size battery will not fit.

3. The mechanic registered the battery and I took a peek at the screen and noticed that the registering program only has options for AGM type battery.

4. It has been 8 days since the new battery is in my car and she's running great. No more warnings, no more flickering command screen and have not need the battery tender!

Thanks again everyone.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:34 AM
There is no spoon

That's fantastic! Amazing how fickle our vehicles act with inadequate power. I'm sure it is incredibly calming to have your vehicle back in order with such a simple cause and fix.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 550i GT
Battery registration

I just had to replace my Bosch 49-850BAGM AGM battery with a newer better AGM battery from Champion (H8-900CHAGM) The car runs fine and was wondering if it's necessary to have the dealer register this battery.
I own a 2011 550i GT with about 125,000 miles

Marc
Old 09-12-2019, 11:04 PM

If you want the battery to last and provide the proper service, then yes, it needs to be registered.

The process defines three things:
- the type of battery. Since it had an AGM in it before, that won't need to be changed.
- the size of the battery. This is needed to be updated if the battery has a different capacity so that the computer knows how discharged it is, and how much to charge it.
- the age of the battery. As a battery ages, the computer will adjust how it recharges the battery. The routine for an old one is more fragile, and may not achieve full capacity when a new on is substituted.

IOW, you'll be wasting some capacity and longevity if you don't. In the interim, it will still work, but won't be optimized. THere are more places than the dealership that can do it, and you could do it yourself with the right tools.
Old 09-13-2019, 05:14 AM

Mein Auto: 750iL
All you ever needed to know:

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...attery/XeZsCQz

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - 2017)
Today's Posts Search