Cabin noise/wind noise, normal ? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 09-12-2019, 05:59 AM

Mein Auto: 735iA 2000
Cabin noise/wind noise, normal ?

Hi Guys

I am trying to track down a possible issue with wind noise in my car.
Coming from an e36, the e38 is much quieter when driving below 40 mph, like in the city for instance.
But above this speed, I experience it to be loud, very similiar to the e36 I would say.
This doesn't seem right to me, this is a luxury car of the top class, and is hopefully not suppose to be this loud.
My car is equipped with the double pane glass S352A from stock, and I do believe this helps a lot on the noise when primarily driving in the city.

Have read a lot of threads so far about this issue, and most of them point to the windshield, mirrors, glass moonroof and missing jack pads.

So far I think I've ruled all these out, as I tested both the windshield edges all around (except the bottom at the cowl) and the moonroof with gaffer tape, this actually made absolutely no difference of the noise what so ever.
My jack pads are all intact as well, no issues there.
The mirrors are also intact, nothing loose to make the noise.

However the windshield cowl has seen better days, but just doesn't seem logical to me, if this is the issue, as the bonnet is mounted a lot higher and probably is blocking all the wind from getting to the cowl.
My tyres also need replacing, but shouldn't be the cause of this though.

From the inside, I seem to identify the wind noise coming from the front a-pillar, which is weird and generally from the front.

Also what I find odd is, when oncoming cars drive past me, it practically sounds like the doors/windows aren't fully closed, even though everything is tight.
So I suspect the door seals to be worn, but looking at them, they all look fine a long with the body door frame seals.

Don't know anyone here with an e38 to compare with, so I'm not sure how quiet the ride should be.

Any advice would be highly appreciated .

Thanks a bunch.

Last edited by Bimmerfan1987; 09-12-2019 at 06:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2019, 04:57 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 750iL
Sounds as though you have identified the usual culprits.

Windscreen noise arises from poor fitting of a replacement screen in not observing the correct gapping

Test the moon roof with the inner blind open and closed. There is an upgraded seal with a thicker cross section, which makes a big difference to noise.

At the doors, remove the plastic cover to the striker on the door shut face, and check the alignment marks. Also panel gaps and alignment with adjacent surfaces.

The double glazed cars are significantly quieter than the 'lesser' models.
Old 09-15-2019, 08:19 AM

Mein Auto: 735iA 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn7 View Post
Sounds as though you have identified the usual culprits.

Windscreen noise arises from poor fitting of a replacement screen in not observing the correct gapping

Test the moon roof with the inner blind open and closed. There is an upgraded seal with a thicker cross section, which makes a big difference to noise.

At the doors, remove the plastic cover to the striker on the door shut face, and check the alignment marks. Also panel gaps and alignment with adjacent surfaces.

The double glazed cars are significantly quieter than the 'lesser' models.
Thanks for your reply chris.
As stated in my original post, I've already tested the windshield with the gaffer tape all around the edges, no difference in the noise.
I think the windshield is the genuine one from 2000.
Did the same thing with the glass sunroof edge, and still no difference.
I've got all my jack pads intact as well.

Today I actually did the test with the strikers, moved all the door strikers all the way to the end towards the car.
I practically had to slam all 4 doors to close them properly after the adjustment, this also made no difference in relation to the noise.

The noise just seems to come generally from the front.
When waiting at a t-junction for instance, when cars are passing by, I seem to hear them very clearly from the whole car, don't know if this is normal in these cars?

Took some pictures of the windshield cowl and uploaded to this post, can anyone confirm, if this actually could be the culprit?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1104.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	221.7 KB
ID:	864819   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1108.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	245.6 KB
ID:	864821   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1109.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	224.9 KB
ID:	864823  

Last edited by Bimmerfan1987; Yesterday at 12:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2019, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 750i 740i 330ci
That lower windshield cowl cover shouldn't be an issue. The glass is sealed all the way around and really wouldn't cause noise intrusion even if fully deteriorated especially while at a stop like you mentioned.

I will say mine is silent like a vault (and I've owned Lexus cars and still do and they are very quite, so I'd notice a difference) w/o any creaks or rattles or unusual noises, EXCEPT if the sunroof sunshade is open, you'll hear a little wind noise, but I always leave that closed anyway.

It's a pity you have no one to compare it to though, it might just be normal.

F01 750i Dark Graphite Metallic M-Sport Packages: Driver Assistance | ARS | Luxury Seating | Camera | Convenience | Premium Sound | 20" 303M Wheels | Ceramic Controls
BMS Stage 1 Tune | Pedal Box | M-Sport Paddle Shift Steering Wheel | 5000k HID | Tint | Mtec Angel Eyes LED | Rear Tinted Taillights | Coded

E38 740i Black Sport Packages: PDC | Convenience | Sunshade
Paddle Shift Retrofit | Brushed Aluminum Gauge Ring | Modified M-Sport Steering Wheel | Tint | MKIV NAV | 4500K HID | 3M DiNOC Carbon Fiber Trim | Heated Seats | Refinished M-Parallel Wheels | Celis Tails

My PedalBox Stealth Install: https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=725889
Old Yesterday, 05:39 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 750iL
It shouldn't be necessary to adjust the doors to the point of slamming - just so they are flush with adjacent panel, and strikers aligned.

Its hard to think of much else - are you certain all windows are closing to their full extent? Maybe check that the 'door cavity seals' are in place?

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)
Today's Posts Search