Michelin sport 4 (PS4) vs Pilot Super Sport vs Pirelli P Zero go flats - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > G20 (2019 - Current)

G20 (2019 - Current)

Old 07-10-2019, 12:34 AM

Mein Auto: 320i m sport
Michelin sport 4 (PS4) vs Pilot Super Sport vs Pirelli P Zero go flats

I've been going on about repalcing my RFTs for a while now 225/40/19 & 255/35/19 staggered

Decison time:
I have a choice between the Michelin PS4s and Pilot super sports and pirelli PZero go flats all on 19's
1. Whats the difference?
2. Which will be more comfortable on passive m sport suspension?
3. Are my current Pirelli P zero Run Flats that came with my G20 in the UK summer tires too?

Super sports are coming up a tad more expensive than the PS4s for some reason even though older

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2019, 01:21 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
PS 4S's have replaced PSS's as Michelin's primary aftermarket max-performance tire in the U.S. They're still making PSS's, and specifically as OE tires for BMW's. But, there will come a day when you cannot get PSS's anymore. For that reason, I'm going to replace my after-market PSS's with PS 4S's the next time around. The prices are within a few dollars of each other, for my car (245/40-19's), $20/tire more for the PS 4S's here. But, if I have to replace one tire some time later, I'll be able to get one that matches the other three. Your PSS's might be more expensive than PS 4S's because they're an OE spec' tires. PSS's weren't out that long before the PS 4S's came out, supposedly because of significant advances.

The Michelin tire models in the U.K. are different. There's a PS 3 in the UK that is supposedly better suited for wet conditions, and has Green X designation (better fuel economy). We don't get PS 3's here in the U. S.

I've just about worn out the last four of 18 Michelin high-performance tires I've gone through. A big advantage of Michelin's over Continental's is that they wear evenly with less air pressure in them. Once you change the make and sometimes just the model of tire, those recommended pressures on the door jamb decal are out the window.

I've only owned one set of Pirelli's, and those were OE all-season tires on an economy car. So, I can't comment on their PZero's.

All I can say is I'd go with PS 4S's over PSS's, even though I'm deliriously happy with my PSS's.
Old 07-10-2019, 01:25 AM

Mein Auto: 320i m sport
Thats amazing feedback thank you! One more question
Since I'm trying to focus on comfort after my terrible RFT pzeros,
Some PS4 reviewers were focusing on the nylon and kevlar components of the new structure which makes the tires less bendy when cornering
Has anyone found this affecting the side walls and therefore comfort?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2019, 05:50 AM

There is one thing about my PSS's...

Florida is a sandbar. The asphalt roads develop ruts in them as the sand under the roads compact. I can feel these ruts with my PSS's, pulling the car toward the center of the ruts. I didn't feel this with my Goodyear LS2 run-flats. There was nothing "bendy" about those miserable LS2's.

I had a 95 mile ride home after having the PSS's installed. Driving down the one inch rise between the BMW dealership's driveway and the gutter of the street, the PSS's absorbed the bump so much better than the run-flat LS2's that I stopped and checked to see if they'd put enough air in the tires.
Old 07-10-2019, 07:02 AM

Mein Auto:
Thanks Autoputzer, what wheel sizes do you have?
Old 07-10-2019, 08:33 AM

245/40-19's. It looks like I'll get about 37k miles out of them, wearing them down to 3/32nds inch of tread.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:08 PM
Novice driver

Mein Auto: 2014 320i ZSP ZMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputzer View Post
The Michelin tire models in the U.K. are different. There's a PS 3 in the UK that is supposedly better suited for wet conditions, and has Green X designation (better fuel economy). We don't get PS 3's here in the U. S.
Thanks Autoputzer, this brings up a point of clarification regarding the Michelin tire models that eddiebally mentioned:
  • Pilot Sport 4S is the successor to Pilot Super Sport. Both of these tires are considered "max performance" summer, with the highest level of performance among Michelin's street tire offerings optimized for both dry and wet handling in warm weather conditions.
  • Pilot Sport 4 (without the 'S') is a successor to Pilot Sport 3. Both of these tires are one notch below Pilot Sport 4S and Pilot Super Sport in overall performance.

eddiebally, between Pilot Sport 4 and Pilot Super Sport, the former will have a slight advantage in comfort, while the latter delivers slightly better handling.

Old 07-11-2019, 12:45 AM

Mein Auto:
That's amazing gkr778! I didn't realise the difference between pilot sport 4 with and without the 'S'
How would you rate the pirelli p zero NON run flats in comparison with comforts in mind?
Old 07-11-2019, 07:38 AM

Mein Auto: '17 GTI '16 981 CS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballisma View Post
How would you rate the pirelli p zero NON run flats in comparison with comforts in mind?
Pretty much everyone on Porsche forum lauded Michelin PS4S for quietness and "comfort" when they switched from P Zeros.

I will do the switch shortly, hopefully before end of August.

Very few will have had P Zeros go flats on a BMW here, almost everybody had them on a Porsche. I still think it translates directly - yes, less noise and more comfort (softer sidewall). Hope that helped.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2017 Golf GTI |Silver over tartan cloth| MT| Base S, no options. Oh, wait! ... It does have a spare tire!

2016 981 Cayman S | 6-speed MT| Active suspension | Sport Exhaust System | Torque vectoring (with LSD) | Sport seats + | Sport design steering wheel

2013 VW Golf TDI [CONFISCATED]

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010) [SOLD]
Old 07-11-2019, 10:24 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark K View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballisma View Post
Pretty much everyone on Porsche forum lauded Michelin PS4S for quietness and "comfort" when they switched from P Zeros.

I will do the switch shortly, hopefully before end of August.

Very few will have had P Zeros go flats on a BMW here, almost everybody had them on a Porsche. I still think it translates directly - yes, less noise and more comfort (softer sidewall). Hope that helped.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Thanks Mark K, let us know how it goes!

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > G20 (2019 - Current)
Today's Posts Search