35d 2011?? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 08-23-2019, 02:14 PM

Mein Auto: 335i
35d 2011??

My apologies if this is the millionth time someone has asked the general question. I was going blind scanning through the posts.

Looking at a 2011 35d 85k miles. Private party. I asked the service records and emissions issues questions that seem to be primary concerns. I’ve seen everything from “best ever” to “run don’t walk”. In all honesty I saw the same for my current used 2011 335i coupe. And after some gasket issues covered by a (3rd party company) within the first year of ownership, all has settled and has been fantastic for the last 2 years. So I saw the same stay away from n55 motor comments.

I know it’s all “ymmv”. But is there a consensus? Or at least a majority feeling.

I figure if you want to learn how to throw a fastball... ask the players

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2019, 02:28 PM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
The problem is that forum fanboys are self-selected and hypersensitive. I like mine a lot. It has big shoes to fill, replacing a 13 y.o. 180K mile VW diesel that never missed a beat and gave 50+ MPG every year.

Yesterday, while having differentials and TC fluid service at the dealership, I was offered a 2020 X5 5.0 loaner and turned it down.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 08-23-2019, 02:30 PM

The owners replied a few moments ago. They have all records and no emissions issues to date.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2019, 02:39 PM
Nuclear engineer

Be sure to pay for a third party - trusted and experienced - Pre-Purchase Inspection.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 08-23-2019, 02:43 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 X5 xdrive35d White
I've been equally enjoying mine for almost 2 months now. My scenario was 2010, 35d, 91k, one-owner. No emissions issues to date.

Since I've owned it, the only thing I've had to do to it is replace the battery. Original BWM 2013 install date so it served it's purpose well.

Let us know what you decide. Good luck!
Old 08-23-2019, 02:47 PM

. My scenario was 2010, 35d, 91k, one-owner. No emissions issues to date.

So I’m obviously not the only one. I absolutely love my 335i and fall hard every time I see it. I enjoy how bmw drive, so if I can get a portion of that in a slightly more practical car....

Old 08-23-2019, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess22 View Post
. My scenario was 2010, 35d, 91k, one-owner. No emissions issues to date.

So I'm obviously not the only one. I absolutely love my 335i and fall hard every time I see it. I enjoy how bmw drive, so if I can get a portion of that in a slightly more practical car....

No doubt! It's our family car. I'd say a opposite of what we were driving before. 08 Lexus RX350. My wife noticed a not so smooth ride, and some other things... but she's grown to love it. I know!

I've loved 335i's as long as they've been around. You've got a very nice car sir! Got any pics?
Old 08-23-2019, 03:15 PM

Just kidding

Old 08-23-2019, 05:07 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
lol

I bet you will NOT be one of the guys who calls the X5 "their truck"

85k miles and they have never done any of the emissions service actions or recalls? Hmmm.

Love my D. Would do it over

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

OEM is not what BMW sells

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM
Old 08-23-2019, 05:11 PM

Mein Auto: 14 535d Xdrive, 12 X5 35d
I am only at 224k miles on my 2012 X5 35d and love it. The car has been very reliable. I have had to replace some emissions related stuff not because they are unreliable but because they are wear and tear items. The SCR system is all original except for the catalyst and NOx sensors which were replaced at 165k miles. The car still has the original DPF. The injectors have never been touched. The original glowplugs were replaced a few months ago after one failed and took out the GP control module. The thermostat was replaced at 149k miles because it was slowly failing in the open position like they normally do. The water pump was replaced while in there for the t-stat. It has never needed CBU cleaning. I recently replaced the front HVAC blower as a DIY project. Brakes were done a while back. It also got a new battery a few months back (7 years old). All normal stuff.

With my driving around 1k miles per week, I really can't complain. My long highway commute and spirited driving style might have something to do with the reliable service I've gotten out of the car.

The car definitely is a long term keeper (10+ years) and won't be for sale anytime soon.

Sent from my XP8800 using Tapatalk

Why DIESEL is better: (from wxmanCCM)
PM - https://sites.google.com/view/lmarzccm/home
Air Toxics - https://sites.google.com/view/loren-marz-ccm/home
Ozone Precursors - https://sites.google.com/view/lorenmarz-ccm/home
General - https://sites.google.com/view/emissions-general/home

Last edited by n1das; 08-23-2019 at 05:30 PM.
Old 08-23-2019, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1das View Post
I am only at 224k miles on my 2012 X5 35d and love it. The car has been very reliable. I have had to replace some emissions related stuff not because they are unreliable but because they are wear and tear items. The SCR system is all original except for the catalyst and NOx sensors which were replaced at 165k miles. The car still has the original DPF. The injectors have never been touched. The original glowplugs were replaced a few months ago after one failed and took out the GP control module. The thermostat was replaced at 149k miles because it was slowly failing in the open position like they normally do. The water pump was replaced while in there for the t-stat. It has never needed CBU cleaning. I recently replaced the front HVAC blower as a DIY project. Brakes were done a while back. It also got a new battery a few months back (7 years old). All normal stuff.

With my driving around 1k miles per week, I really can't complain. My long highway commute and spirited driving style might have something to do with the reliable service I've gotten out of the car.

The car definitely is a long term keeper (10+ years) and won't be for sale anytime soon.

Sent from my XP8800 using Tapatalk
I always love hearing that story
Old 08-23-2019, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess22 View Post

Just kidding

She's a beauty Duchess22!
Old 08-23-2019, 07:42 PM

Thanks. These kind of stories people need to here to. But we are more prone to report when we find fault than when we find good

Do you think there are large groups who feel the same? What would a bmw mechanic say? The one I was in contact told me if you love to drive and had deep pockets.... the 335i n55 is for you. Well I do like to drive...

Old 08-24-2019, 07:14 AM

Mein Auto: 4 BMWs, 1 Mini, 1 Vespa
I’ve had my2012 for over 6 years and it hit 100k miles earlier this week.
No emissions issue either. Only early failure part was a lazy thermostat somewhere in the 60s. Fairly common.
Very pleased with this car.

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest

Old 08-25-2019, 06:31 AM

Mein Auto: 1988 M3, 2011 X5 35D
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredoinSF View Post
I’ve had my2012 for over 6 years and it hit 100k miles earlier this week.
No emissions issue either. Only early failure part was a lazy thermostat somewhere in the 60s. Fairly common.
Very pleased with this car.

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest

Same here. I bought mine as the second owner with all service/maintenance records.

All recalls have been done and the only emission failure issue was the active tank covered under the extended warranty.

Of course the thermostat has been replaced and I managed to make it to 155k miles on my original NOx sensors.

I love the car and it has been very reliable, although after this summers vacation I'm worried about a trend of part failure when I'm at my most vulnerable. This year the Mass Airflow died and I was forced to use the dealer for repair and part replacement. Last year one of the sensors on the intake died while on vacation and again I was forced to use dealer for the repair. It was great that they were available and not really that expensive. I just hate spending money on things that are easily fixed if I was at home and could have made the repairs myself.

It still is the best family road trip car that I've owned to date. It is very easy to drive for 10 to 12 hours with no complaints from me or the passengers. I also don't think that I'd like it as much as I do with anything other than the M57 as the power source.
Old 08-25-2019, 06:43 AM
Nuclear engineer

In re recalls, I have two due, the Idler Pulley Bolt and the Passenger Airbag.

Thursday I had differentials and transfer case fluids changed - at 88K miles - and tires rotated at 8.8K miles. I asked for the Idler Pulley Bolt done and the serpentine belt changed, but they did not have the belt in stock, so I demurred.

We discussed the Passenger Airbag recall, SA recommended and I declined. Surprisingly he volunteered that the state may mandate its replacement as prerequisite to some later annual registration. In that case I'll be talking with my attorney about the state accepting the liability for incompetent mechanics' screw ups.

Old 08-25-2019, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroubledGnome View Post
Same here. I bought mine as the second owner with all service/maintenance records.

All recalls have been done and the only emission failure issue was the active tank covered under the extended warranty.

Of course the thermostat has been replaced and I managed to make it to 155k miles on my original NOx sensors.

I love the car and it has been very reliable, although after this summers vacation I'm worried about a trend of part failure when I'm at my most vulnerable. This year the Mass Airflow died and I was forced to use the dealer for repair and part replacement. Last year one of the sensors on the intake died while on vacation and again I was forced to use dealer for the repair. It was great that they were available and not really that expensive. I just hate spending money on things that are easily fixed if I was at home and could have made the repairs myself.

It still is the best family road trip car that I've owned to date. It is very easy to drive for 10 to 12 hours with no complaints from me or the passengers. I also don't think that I'd like it as much as I do with anything other than the M57 as the power source.
Would you mind sharing what was done each of the two visits to the dealer and what the total bill was?

Thanks for the information.
Old 08-25-2019, 03:01 PM

Interesting. Like any vehicle. Pros and cons. Age catches up to them all eventually.

Looking at the 2011 seems to be in great shape, driven by a woman and overseen by her husband. I currently have a 2011 coupe with 72k on the odometer. So I drive very little. My oil changes are due by date, not mileage. I live in WI and swap out snow tires each season. This makes all the difference in the world. But... my wife feels I need an awd or 4x4. Similar priced Toyota/Nissan trucks have 150k without the refinement. Now granted the cost of ownership is lower and easier to work on. I just don’t know.

Old 08-25-2019, 08:31 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
You have a few things going for you:

You can DIY. I get the sense on the upper end of the curve

You found online forums for help

You have a 'spare' car. (So if the car is down a week or two waiting on diagnosis, parts, you arent missing work)

Someone that doesnt have this, will absolutely need deep pockets- but IMO those 3 things changes the calculus quite a bit.

My 2 cents

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

OEM is not what BMW sells

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM
Old 08-26-2019, 07:58 AM

Mein Auto: 4 BMWs, 1 Mini, 1 Vespa
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
you have a few things going for you:

You can diy. I get the sense on the upper end of the curve

you found online forums for help

you have a 'spare' car. (so if the car is down a week or two waiting on diagnosis, parts, you arent missing work)

someone that doesnt have this, will absolutely need deep pockets- but imo those 3 things changes the calculus quite a bit.

My 2 cents
+1

Old 08-26-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
you have a few things going for you:

You can diy. I get the sense on the upper end of the curve

you found online forums for help

you have a 'spare' car. (so if the car is down a week or two waiting on diagnosis, parts, you arent missing work)

someone that doesnt have this, will absolutely need deep pockets- but imo those 3 things changes the calculus quite a bit.

My 2 cents
+1
Old 08-26-2019, 09:34 AM
Nuclear engineer

Quote:
You have a few things going for you: You can DIY. I get the sense on the upper end of the curve
With respect, yours is the first mention of DIY.

Old 08-27-2019, 05:44 PM

Mein Auto: X5 M50d, 440i convertible
Love the X5 diesel!

I agree with posts on the X5 E70 diesel's reliability & enjoyment.

After some major engine dramas with a 2010 E70 50i V8, I replaced it with a 2012 E70 M50d - not sure if this 3 litre triple turbo model with is available in the States. Had it for 5 years & have reached 67,000 Km (I live in Australia). Apart from the quarter second turbo lag on take off, it performs like the V8 with 32mpg (imperial gallons) c/f 21mpg for the V8.

No mechanical problems so far apart from an inexpensive particulate filter service, some gremlins with the central locking & a thirst for those big run flat tyres. I've also had the front airbags replaced under recall. I usually avoid dealers....I'm very happy with my independent mechanic.

Great handling, comfort & style. Don't know what I'll replace it with in a couple of years.....the X5s have grown large & ugly. I could be tempted by the X3 M40i (my wife's 440i convertible has the same great engine) or might even desert BMW after 35 years & look at a Porsche Cayenne.

Enjoy your choice.

Last edited by yellowbird172; 08-27-2019 at 05:45 PM.
Old 08-27-2019, 06:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 335i
Take a test drive on the interstate and put your foot down and keep it there for as long as you dare. A friend who likes diesels got me to go with him to pick up a used 2011 diesel and I drove it back. I tried a bit of full throttle to compare with my 2012 335i. After about 10 seconds a warning light came on and stayed lit for a good while. He recently sold the car after dealing with several issues and having estimates of over $3k to fix the current ones. May not be typical, but that was his experience.
Old 08-28-2019, 09:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d
I'm almost to 170k miles on my 2012 X5D. My DPF warning started going off a couple weeks ago, which really sucks because I drive a lot (I drive it for work), but for some reason the DPF isn't regenerating anymore.

There's no emissions in my state so I'm doing the research for how to delete all of the BS emissions parts. Any one have any recommendations for parts for me?

I'm going to have to take it to the dealer soon for the drive shaft recall. I've already taken it in for the airbag and idler pulley (I think) recalls.

I absolutely love mine and am going to keep it forever, especially after deleting the emissions parts.

I guess my advice is that a X5D is awesome, but depending on how long you want to have it, you're going to have to deal with the emissions parts eventually. And if you don't delete the emissions parts (hopefully for your sake, you don't live in an emissions testing state like I don't) it will definitely cost you when you do have to do something about your DPF if you feel like the emissions delete jobs are too much for you.

These are the emissions parts that you have to worry about (hopefully to get rid of) on an e70 X5D, same applies to the diesel sedan version:
DPF
SCR
EGR
Swirlflaps
And a million sensors

If you already have the tools and know-how, from my research it will cost about $2000 to delete everything (if you do the work yourself), much more if you don't delete emissions parts and eventually need to replace or clean the DPF. An even worse scenario is a swirlflap breaks off and causes major damage. The $2000 includes a tune that you'll need after deleting all the emissions crap that slowly destroys the engine and your gas mileage.

Every diesel owner should know, that the emissions parts are quite literally strangling your engine and slowly killing it. I can't wait to delete mine and never have to worry about diesel exhaust fluid ever again, not to mention the much improved gas mileage and increased horsepower.

I love mine so much I'm willing to take on the major hassle that is the unbolting the DPF down pipe from the turbo which does not seem to be a very easy job.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search