Sunroof leaking on front passenger side - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)

E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series E60 Sedan was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E61 wagon followed shortly there after. The E60/E61 5 series is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 08-07-2019, 05:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E39 540i
Sunroof leaking on front passenger side

A nice dťjŗ vu moment for me today. As Iím getting out of the car today, I noticed that there was water on the passenger floor and drops on the seat. I looked up and noticed that the front right corner of the sunroof cover was wet, as well as the area under it. I was never able to figure out why my e39ís sunroof was leaking and it got to the point where we had to put silicone on it to stop it leaking so Iím hoping that it doesnít get to that. Car is an 07 530xi and itís a sedan.

Owning a BMW is always interesting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2019, 07:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 E60 530i
It could be as simple as the drains being clogged. It's a pretty common issue, my old 5 series had it too. It can also be that the gasket is old and is letting more water in than was intended and it's not draining out fast enough.
Old 08-08-2019, 05:51 PM

Found it. I poured some water down the drains and on the passenger side it did not drain. On the driver side it drained. So what will be the next step? And of course itís thunder storming right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2019, 06:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535iX M Sport
Try a search here I recall several step by steps for clearing the drains.
Old 08-08-2019, 08:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 E60 530i
If it's leaking on the front seats, I'd guess the front drain is probably clogged. That ones not too difficult to clear, something that worked on my old 5 was getting some line for a weed-whacker and just gently using that down the drain to loosen and clear the debris. Or you could be lucky and find the clumpy blockage is right at the top and you can just use a small pick to pull it out.

For the rear drains, it's a design fault and there's a really handy guide on here on how to clear it:

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=955386
Old 08-11-2019, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroux View Post
If it's leaking on the front seats, I'd guess the front drain is probably clogged. That ones not too difficult to clear, something that worked on my old 5 was getting some line for a weed-whacker and just gently using that down the drain to loosen and clear the debris. Or you could be lucky and find the clumpy blockage is right at the top and you can just use a small pick to pull it out.

For the rear drains, it's a design fault and there's a really handy guide on here on how to clear it:

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=955386

Ok, that sounds good. Iíll try it out and report back.

Old 08-12-2019, 12:58 AM
Under the lift arms

Mein Auto: e39, e83, e60
what i would do immediately is remove the seat and pull the carpet (*idk if you got a few drops of water, or a fuel buckets of water)

a air compressor with a air nozzle from below the car.. is how i cleaned it out...

Opened the sun roof all the way.. blew the stuff up and out all over the inside of the car

15486372<-----
Old 08-13-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning2nd View Post
what i would do immediately is remove the seat and pull the carpet (*idk if you got a few drops of water, or a fuel buckets of water)

a air compressor with a air nozzle from below the car.. is how i cleaned it out...

Opened the sun roof all the way.. blew the stuff up and out all over the inside of the car

It wasnít too much water. Itís all dried up now. What about using an air compressor from the top down instead of from the bottom?

Old 08-13-2019, 02:44 PM

Ok so I tried the wire method and we couldnít get past the bend in the tube. Iím going to visit a friend and use his air compressor. This is probably going to be difficult to explain in writing but how much compressed air is needed? Mainly so that I donít use too much and break something.

Old 08-13-2019, 02:50 PM
beemlyfe

Mein Auto: 2009 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by donato_r View Post
Ok so I tried the wire method and we couldnít get past the bend in the tube. Iím going to visit a friend and use his air compressor. This is probably going to be difficult to explain in writing but how much compressed air is needed? Mainly so that I donít use too much and break something.

Your car isn't made of glass, stick the air hose nossle in the drain port (Inside the sunroof opening) and blow away. Give it a few seconds and try pouring water into the drain tube from the top, if it doesn't drain, repeat the process until it does.
Genesis 3:28: "And next he proceeded to form the naturally aspirated inline six engine and place it in a 50/50 weight distribution rear wheel drive chassis. It was given the spark of life, and the exhaust note was good."

(-) 2011 535i xDrive
(-) 2011 335i, Automatic (), Convertible
(-) 2009 335i, M-Sport W/ Prem, Manual, Dinan Stage 2, Performance Package
(-) 2005 CBR600RR
(-) 2003 330I, ZHP, Manual (my pride and joy)
(-) 1997 CBR600
Old 09-19-2019, 05:56 PM
Handyman

Mein Auto: 2010 5281 Xdrive
Hey all - any particular reason those plugs on the end of the drains are there? To prevent this from clogging again, I was going to remove the rear ones.
Old 09-19-2019, 06:36 PM
BMWs since '87

Mein Auto: 2008 535xi (LCI)
I expect they're intended to be valves to keep air from blowing up through the drain lines when you're running on dusty roads, perhaps to keep the drains from clogging. There's something similar on the cowl drains.

I remember way back on the 2002 the little cowl drain pods on the firewall that would fill with crud then nothing got through them.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search