2010 BMW 650i E63 Trans Malfunction DBC 155K miles - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 08-29-2019, 07:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 650i
2010 BMW 650i E63 Trans Malfunction DBC 155K miles

Hi everyone! I've had a couple problems with my car. I REALLY love my car and do not want to get rid of it.

First : sometimes when I'm driving the transmission malfunction light comes on and the car slows down to 40 mph. IIt will not drive any faster or change gears. Sometimes pulling off to the side of the road, shutting it off then turning it on again works but most of the time once I shut it off it takes 5-10 to get it go start again. The car does not start and I have to keep jugging it till the car finally starts again. Sometimes the transmission light goes away but mostly it'll stay on for about 2 days. The DBC malfunction light comes on too.
Second: it's been a few times that feels like the car is going to shut off or no fuel for 1 or 2 seconds, but it continues to drive a little rough. Also couple times i went over a bump and all fail lights came on ;
Malfunction in Transmission
DBC Malfunction!
Drive control System
Star-off assistance inactive!
Third: lately when I start the car a ton of white smoke comes out of the exhaust. Smells like burning oil, but I'm really not sure sometimes blue.
Please help ..
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2019, 07:57 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2016 528i + 2007 650 Vert
To start with it sounds like you are overdue for valve stem seals. When was the last trans fluid change?

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White
Old 08-31-2019, 01:12 PM

Never did valve stems however..
This is the story..

I started having the Malfunction Transmissions failure code last year .

the car would crank but would not start like no gas.

After several tries it would start and run great.

I Took my car to a Trans Shop he serviced it and programmed it. ( I hope he told me the truth that he did the job)

The car ran well for many months ..

The problems started again this year a couple months ago all fail codes I put picture of showed up.

My friend who is a BMW mechanic read and reset the fail codes several times and concluded the failures were correct .

Last month he replaced all Camshaft gears, Vanus solenoids chain tensioners, oil, coolant , etc,,, all needed gaskets and seals.

BTW my car has 155K miles.

Battery was replaced 2 weeks ago.

when the car is cold in the morning it runs like brand new.

However after driving 30 min or so or if i drive and park the car, sometimes it would not start and the car shows up with similar issues and failure codes.

And puts the transmission in safety mode of 20-40 Miles. It won't change gears and won't allow Cruise control (gives the code- Cruise Control Failure)

Also a few days i drove over a bump and all fail lights including key and trans and DBC , etc... all fail codes showed up. But went away after driving a little.

This is my story..

I believe there is a board or connection issue like short or possibly grounding issue .

Best,

Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2019, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 05 645Ci, 14 750 M-Sport
It sounds to me like your IVM module might be going bad, with the random no start problem. With 155k miles, your Mechatronic Adapter Seal is probably bad, allowing the fluid to bypass the valve body, & not shifting properly. Replace the seal, fluid & filter, & the tranny should be fine. I would also measure your battery voltage at the jump terminal to make sure you are getting 12 volts, even though you have a new battery. Our cars always run better with a freshly charged battery!

If you can post you faults that you pulled, it will help determine your problems.
Old 09-02-2019, 12:42 AM

Here are the failures ;
If you also read from the top of my thread it might be a little more clear.

-Malfunction in Transmission
-DBC Malfunction!
-Drive control System
-Star-off assistance inactive!
Old 09-02-2019, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmakabeh View Post
Here are the failures ;
If you also read from the top of my thread it might be a little more clear.

-Malfunction in Transmission
-DBC Malfunction!
-Drive control System
These are warning messages from the IDrive, not fault codes that indicate what the actual problem is? Try charging your battery overnight, to see if anything improves on the car. If the engine cranks & runs when cold, but not hot, I suspect a bad IVM. If the engine will not crank at all, the EWS & DME will probably need to be resynced. Measure your battery voltage under the hood at the jump terminal, & it should also be charged there. Turn your headlights on with the engine off, & the voltage should be above 12 volts. If the voltage is above 12 volts, then the battery can be eleiminated.
Old 09-03-2019, 09:26 AM

Thank you I will try.
Old 09-05-2019, 09:53 AM

I did replace the IVM and the Fuel Relay.
The car ran perfect for 20 min.
parked the car 2 hours later the car would not start.. The same failures showed up .
I am not sure unless the computer is bad or a short somewhere >??
Old 09-05-2019, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

Have you measured your battery voltage, & did you get a printout of faults from ISTA?
Old 09-07-2019, 06:52 AM

All was good after a reset ..
I went over a pump and all failure lights showed up after (20 min driving without issues).
I Did check the voltage of my brand new Bosch battery .
it seemed Ok.
I suspect the power line form the battery to the fuse boxes is the issue. Not sure yet how to work on it.
But i believe it is a power issue.
I have also ordered a voltage meter that plugs into my cigarette lighter that I can see the voltage regularly.
Old 09-07-2019, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator

Do you have access to ISTA, this would help pinpoint your problems. The no start thing based on your update might lead to a crankshaft sensor? Have you been getting any Dynamic Drive warnings on the IDrive?
Old 09-08-2019, 11:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW E63 630i
Quote:
I suspect the power line form the battery to the fuse boxes is the issue. Not sure yet how to work on it.
I recently got a call from BMW to bring my E63 in for a recall to replace this line. Seems to be an extension of this recall to this model...

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-44068042
Old 09-09-2019, 05:52 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: E63 645ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwurlde View Post
I recently got a call from BMW to bring my E63 in for a recall to replace this line. Seems to be an extension of this recall to this model...

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-44068042
Yes, they're not having a good time of it with that B+ line, few years ago there was a recall for this for an incorrectly fitted insulating connector in the boot (supposed fire risk), this one is for the same line and again in the boot but this time its a transfer point that seems to be corroding and cutting power to the car as well as, again, a fire risk.
I haven't been contacted yet and can't physically check it (or do any work on it) for at least another week but when I can I'll tear it all apart and see what's what.

Neal.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:49 AM

HerbP , Underwurlde & Hsurf

I am not sure I know about ISTA.

I just replaced the crankshaft sensors.
Yes I did receive warning and still sometimes get the Dynamic Drive warnings.
When the car is cold it starts and drives perfect for 10-15 min.
after it there is a hiccup like power loss and all failure lights come on and the car shifts to lower gear. I suspect a power issue.

Malfunction in Transmission
-DBC Malfunction!
-Drive control System

I have shown it to a BMW repair shop and they say the transmission is bad.
But the car runs and shifts perfect for 10-15 min.
Also, last time the failures showed up my car cleared the failure codes itself while I was driving. And it showed all systems is OK.
So a power or wiring issue could be the cause as you guys mentioned it.

Underwurlde & Hsurf
I think you are both correct.
I called BMW of America and a couple dealers and they all tell me there is no recall on my car 2010 BMW 650i or for the wiring.
VIN - CV92800

I am sure the power wires you guys mentioned could be causing this.

Can anyone send me the electrical wiring diagram and fuses for my 2010 BMW 650i ??
Greatly appreciated.
best,
[email protected]

Do you have access to ISTA, this would help pinpoint your problems. The no start thing based on your update might lead to a crankshaft sensor? Have you been getting any Dynamic Drive warnings on the IDrive?
Old 09-09-2019, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator

It may be this recall hasn't filtered to the US yet but I suspect it will, this would be why they aren't yet aware of it.
There is a chance that this is your problem but people that have had this issue have showed electrical problems throughout the whole car all at once and not just the key areas your saying, it is true that those areas are usually the first to show signs of problems under low voltage but given that your car doesn't seem have an issue until it has warmed up would point me in a different direction, as HerbP said that would initially be the IVM but you've replaced this already.
Given the work that's been carried out it could be a broken wire to the DME box that's making a connection while contracted and cold but the connection is severed once the engine has warmed and thus causing the wiring to expand (just a theory).
As HerbP says you really need ISTA to clear the codes and let the car go to sleep then start it and let it warm and run the fault diagnostic again once the problem shows itself, this may give you a better idea of the area/item to look at. I'd also recommend a smoke test, again given the work that's been done, to look for any possible vacuum leaks.

Neal.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator

I am not sure what alternator you have on your car, but has it been changed recently?
Old 09-09-2019, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbP View Post
I am not sure what alternator you have on your car, but has it been changed recently?
Voltage regulator??

Neal.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:16 AM

I will check on that .
Thanks
Old 09-17-2019, 12:18 PM

The Alternator needs to be replaced but I sometimes get a jolt like and the car turns off now . It looks like either it loses power completely or the voltage changes drastically and the computer loses control.
After Sometimes i have to crank the car for a few times and then it starts ok.
But when it runs it runs perfect.
Do you think it is the Alternator/Voltage regulator or wiring issue? Power loss to the electrical ?
I still get Malfunction in Trans .. It always did that when the issues started.
But when cold and the car is sitting over night it starts easy and runs perfect for approx. 15 min.
Then it acts up, it jolts like power loss and either turns off the car or the failure lights come on.
Old 09-17-2019, 12:20 PM

I have the car checked out with mechanics w/ testers .

Every time they get different codes but get the old Malfunction in transmission after the car shuts off or feels like it is going to stall.

I am having them check electrical connections...
Old 09-17-2019, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
The Alternator needs to be replaced but I sometimes get a jolt like and the car turns off now . It looks like either it loses power completely or the voltage changes drastically and the computer loses control.
After Sometimes i have to crank the car for a few times and then it starts ok.
But when it runs it runs perfect.
Do you think it is the Alternator/Voltage regulator or wiring issue? Power loss to the electrical ?
I still get Malfunction in Trans .. It always did that when the issues started.
But when cold and the car is sitting over night it starts easy and runs perfect for approx. 15 min.
Then it acts up, it jolts like power loss and either turns off the car or the failure lights come on.
If the alternator needs to be replaced, start there. Make sure to buy a new alternator, not a rebuilt one. You will find the best price on Ebay, just read the description to make sure it is brand new!
Old 09-17-2019, 05:10 PM

Thank you
Old 09-19-2019, 02:52 PM

I had one mechanic replace the crankshaft sensor..
Now it is starts well ..
And running
But once in a while the engine light comes on but no failure codes shows teh dash.
I might take it back to have it checkd.
Thanks
Old 09-19-2019, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator

You can have soft codes stored in the DME, that a normal code reader will not read. You really need to find someone with a BMW diagnostic tool.
Old 09-20-2019, 01:54 AM

I did
The car is giving CAT code
Once in a while the car smokes..
I am worried on valves licking oil a little when it is cold.
Valve stems??

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
650i, bmw, dbc, e63, failure, smoke, transmission

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search