DIY replacing injectors of 09 X5 35D diesel? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums



Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-17-2015, 09:08 PM
atrandom atrandom is offline
Registered User
Location: CANADA
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 48
Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35D
DIY replacing injectors of 09 X5 35D diesel?

Got misfire due to injector #6. The care is out of warranty. Many garages refuse to do it for me. They always charge me some bucks for checking then ask me go to dealer...
So, is there anyone have experience of replacing injectors?
Figure we need injector removal tools and BMW ICOM Diagnostic Tool to program new injectors.
Really need some instructions, Thanks anyway.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 08-18-2015, 03:53 AM
Doug Huffman's Avatar
Doug Huffman Doug Huffman is online now
Nuclear engineer
Location: Washington Island, Wisconsin, thru Death's Door
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 12,951
Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
This may illustrate why indies don't want to do injectors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=H_DEetgHzKg

Search also for YT videos on the proper removal of injectors.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-18-2015, 06:53 AM
ninja_zx11 ninja_zx11 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Vancouver,Canada
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 734
Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35D
Quote:
Originally Posted by atrandom View Post
Got misfire due to injector #6.
Probably damaged injector due to water leak.Last 2 injectors are prone to water damage as others have stated.
__________________


Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 08-18-2015, 07:08 AM
atrandom atrandom is offline
Registered User
Location: CANADA
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 48
Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35D
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja_zx11 View Post
Probably damaged injector due to water leak.Last 2 injectors are prone to water damage as others have stated.
Yes. I know these threads before and preparing to do some prevention. But before I do, the injector is gone, still don't know if it's due to water leaking into engine bay.... new one worth 400$ around...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-18-2015, 07:23 AM
atrandom atrandom is offline
Registered User
Location: CANADA
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 48
Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
This may illustrate why indies don't want to do injectors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=H_DEetgHzKg

Search also for YT videos on the proper removal of injectors.
Very very informative video for me such an inexperienced owner.
Should I equip diagnose tools? sound like I would be a little dealer
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-18-2015, 09:09 AM
blue dragon blue dragon is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Pickering/Toronto
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,310
Mein Auto: X5 35D
You will also need to run the calibration procedure in INPA or Rheingold if you do swap it yourself. Me personally, I would pay to get this job done
__________________
http://www.wardphotography.com/sig10.jpg
| '09 X5 35D - Work horse | '17 X1 MSport - Wife's daily | '17 - 340i MSport - My daily |
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-18-2015, 10:21 AM
atrandom atrandom is offline
Registered User
Location: CANADA
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 48
Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35D
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue dragon View Post
You will also need to run the calibration procedure in INPA or Rheingold if you do swap it yourself. Me personally, I would pay to get this job done
Seems nobody would do it except dealer. I don't mind to pay dealer this time. But if the car keeps giving me troubles every year every month. I'm dead then.
Last time I'm afraid of replacing glow plug but finally I did although the real problem is glow plug controler .....
This time, who knows. difficult task is dangerous and interesting.

here is a E90 video on how to replace injectors and program them. good reference.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-20-2015, 08:10 AM
atrandom atrandom is offline
Registered User
Location: CANADA
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 48
Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35D
Anyone know if this tool is capable to pull the injector for x5 35d?
Schley Products 11800 BMW Injector Puller
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-20-2015, 09:12 AM
ninja_zx11 ninja_zx11 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Vancouver,Canada
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 734
Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35D
Not sure about the one you posted but this is what you need.

http://www.amazon.com/Injectors-Pull.../dp/B00K9QU64A
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-20-2015, 07:23 PM
atrandom atrandom is offline
Registered User
Location: CANADA
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 48
Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35D
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja_zx11 View Post
Not sure about the one you posted but this is what you need.

http://www.amazon.com/Injectors-Pull.../dp/B00K9QU64A
I'm curious if we really need a slide hammer so big like this?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-20-2015, 10:40 PM
ard ard is offline
Resident Curmudgeon
Location: Sierra foothills, California USA
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 20,576
Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
SO much fail here...
__________________
Alignment here: The Definitive Alignment Thread

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label


OEM is not what BMW sells


http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-28-2015, 04:21 PM
atrandom atrandom is offline
Registered User
Location: CANADA
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 48
Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35D
So I've replaced the injector and code it successfully.
But unfortunately, it didn't work.

Anyway, I guess I've got root cause. injector wire for #6 is shorted. I've checked the resistance of #6 and #4(as comparison). #6 is 0. #4 is infinite.

Time to figure out how to replace or fix shorted harness....
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-28-2015, 04:37 PM
lpcapital lpcapital is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Oceanside, CA
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,292
Send a message via AIM to lpcapital Send a message via MSN to lpcapital Send a message via Yahoo to lpcapital
Mein Auto: Wasp & Duc
Quote:
Originally Posted by atrandom View Post
So I've replaced the injector and code it successfully.
But unfortunately, it didn't work.

Anyway, I guess I've got root cause. injector wire for #6 is shorted. I've checked the resistance of #6 and #4(as comparison). #6 is 0. #4 is infinite.

Time to figure out how to replace or fix shorted harness....
Check for mice chew: those little bastards are evil.

Whenever I do harness work on vehicle, I rewrap everything with this Tesa wiring loom tape -> http://amzn.com/B00EH6IZ6Y. I cut, join using soldering iron, cover the work with shrink wrap and rewrap the loom with Tesa.
Don't use regular electric tape as it just unravels.

I believe you can pull up the wiring diagrams in Rheingold...
__________________

Last edited by lpcapital; 09-28-2015 at 04:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-28-2015, 04:43 PM
atrandom atrandom is offline
Registered User
Location: CANADA
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 48
Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35D
how to take off injector wires in junction Box? They seems share a same socket with other wires. make me confused.
Where I can buy injector wire harness for replacement or only Injector Connector Plug for repair? Can't find them in ebay.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1518.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	531587   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1521.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	531588   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1525.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	531589   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0806.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	531592   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0808.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	531593  

Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-28-2015, 04:51 PM
lpcapital lpcapital is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Oceanside, CA
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,292
Send a message via AIM to lpcapital Send a message via MSN to lpcapital Send a message via Yahoo to lpcapital
Mein Auto: Wasp & Duc
Quote:
Originally Posted by atrandom View Post
how to take off injector wires in junction Box? They seems share a same socket with other wires. make me confused.
Where I can buy injector wire harness for replacement or only Injector Connector Plug for repair? Can't find them in ebay.
You may want to ping bawareca (not sure he's registered here too, otherwise check xoutpost) -> he's dismantling a 35d so he may have what you need. He seems also very knowledgeable to BMW electronics so he may help you with the diagram.

If Rheingold doesn't have the diagram, check here -> http://www.bmw-planet.com/diagrams/.

IF IT WAS MY CAR, I wouldn't replace the harness but simply pull a length of wire and solder it. Disassembling those connectors is mental and finding the proper pin practically impossible. But I would start choping up insulation and see where the damage is
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-28-2015, 05:11 PM
atrandom atrandom is offline
Registered User
Location: CANADA
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 48
Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35D
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpcapital View Post
You may want to ping bawareca (not sure he's registered here too, otherwise check xoutpost) -> he's dismantling a 35d so he may have what you need. He seems also very knowledgeable to BMW electronics so he may help you with the diagram.

If Rheingold doesn't have the diagram, check here -> http://www.bmw-planet.com/diagrams/.

IF IT WAS MY CAR, I wouldn't replace the harness but simply pull a length of wire and solder it. Disassembling those connectors is mental and finding the proper pin practically impossible. But I would start choping up insulation and see where the damage is
Dissembling connectors in junction box is crazy. I just want to know if it's easy like 'unplug' and 'plug' issue. But I saw injector wires are mixed with others in one connector.

I'd like to cut connector near the injector so we can know which half part is bad. But I need a new connector to fix then.
And the question is, If I found the problem is on junction box side, what I do?

Last edited by atrandom; 09-28-2015 at 05:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-28-2015, 05:17 PM
atrandom atrandom is offline
Registered User
Location: CANADA
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 48
Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35D
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpcapital View Post
Check for mice chew: those little bastards are evil.

Whenever I do harness work on vehicle, I rewrap everything with this Tesa wiring loom tape -> http://amzn.com/B00EH6IZ6Y. I cut, join using soldering iron, cover the work with shrink wrap and rewrap the loom with Tesa.
Don't use regular electric tape as it just unravels.

I believe you can pull up the wiring diagrams in Rheingold...
Thanks. I'll buy Tesa wiring loom tape then.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-28-2015, 06:32 PM
ninja_zx11 ninja_zx11 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Vancouver,Canada
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 734
Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35D
Also if possible try to disconnect the DDE and then check for continuity and short.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-29-2015, 07:53 AM
atrandom atrandom is offline
Registered User
Location: CANADA
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 48
Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35D
Update: Just take wires apart from junction box. while disconnected both from injector and junction box, #6 wires give me 0 resistance. others are 180K(connected to injectors of course).
So it's 100% bad #6 wire only.
Next question is how can I fix it without spare part..... or how I locate the exact point where is shorted?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-29-2015, 08:37 AM
ninja_zx11 ninja_zx11 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Vancouver,Canada
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 734
Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35D
Good find!!
So it means connection from DDE to the junction box is good.right? and problem is only from the junction box to the injector.

Is it possible to visually trace the wires from the junction box to the injector? I think each pair to each injector is twisted.So check if the got pinched and shorted.how long is the wire run from junction box to the injectors?Is there any connector inside the junction box to disconnect the injector wire from the DDE side of wiring?

Its also possible for the wires to get shorted right inside the connector (injector side) due to water problem.You may have to cut one or both wires from the twisted pair close to the injector connector to diagnose the location of short.
__________________



Last edited by ninja_zx11; 09-29-2015 at 08:38 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 09-29-2015, 08:45 AM
ninja_zx11 ninja_zx11 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Vancouver,Canada
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 734
Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35D
Or another option:

Just get the injector wiring harness for $64 from ECS tuning.

http://realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpart...diagId=12_1201


https://www.ecstuning.com/ES1876917/
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-29-2015, 10:55 AM
atrandom atrandom is offline
Registered User
Location: CANADA
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 48
Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35D
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja_zx11 View Post
Good find!!
So it means connection from DDE to the junction box is good.right? and problem is only from the junction box to the injector.

Is it possible to visually trace the wires from the junction box to the injector? I think each pair to each injector is twisted.So check if the got pinched and shorted.how long is the wire run from junction box to the injectors?Is there any connector inside the junction box to disconnect the injector wire from the DDE side of wiring?

Its also possible for the wires to get shorted right inside the connector (injector side) due to water problem.You may have to cut one or both wires from the twisted pair close to the injector connector to diagnose the location of short.
The wire should be looks like this. I pull the pic from ebay, not exactly the same but almost. box side looks like brand new so injector side is most possible.
It's going to rain so I have to do it tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$(KGrHqJHJB!FGnKB5Fr,BRudD)dj0Q--60_57.jpg
Views:	651
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	531659  
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-30-2015, 11:02 AM
ninja_zx11 ninja_zx11 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Vancouver,Canada
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 734
Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35D
Wondering which slide hammer did you use to take the injector out and where did you get used injector?
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-01-2015, 03:12 PM
atrandom atrandom is offline
Registered User
Location: CANADA
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 48
Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35D
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja_zx11 View Post
Wondering which slide hammer did you use to take the injector out and where did you get used injector?
Everything is from ebay.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 10-01-2015, 03:19 PM
atrandom atrandom is offline
Registered User
Location: CANADA
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 48
Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35D
so today I've found the shorted point. The truth is easy that at that point two lines are not is correct position, they are pushed very hard by wire locker. the skin was broken and mental part kiss each other finally.

I've fixed the wire but got a another headache. The car wont' start.
It throw out 4x4, DSC and fuel pump warring. I guess that's because I unpluged 5 sockets in junction box. Even I pluged them back, there is still something triggered.
Tried to clear error code, but 3 communication errors can't be deleted. Seems there must be some problem in junction box after I touched them.
Any suggestion?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3rest.png
Views:	396
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	531936  

Last edited by atrandom; 10-01-2015 at 03:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© 2001- VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.